Photos, let's see 'em

Emlaghmore, Kerry, Republic of Ireland - Skellig Michael (Sceilg Mhichíl) on the horizon

i-h2RSxWj-X5.jpg

Here's a knife I made for Mrs. Plaid when I got into making knifes that one summer:

EQRbhItU0AAJ60z

I found out the secret to a razor sharp edge is stropping. A hunk of full hide leather with some cutting compound.
Amen. Barbers had it right for centuries! I use the back of a belt as the final touch.

Emlaghmore, Kerry, Republic of Ireland - Skellig Michael (Sceilg Mhichíl) on the horizon

i-h2RSxWj-X5.jpg
Ahhh...my namesake.

Wish granted.

I have to admit, I am working hard to get out of automatic mode and keep track of all the nuances that impact an image. Focal length and shutter-speed relative to ISO is my problem area.

i-v8cHFQm-X4.jpg
I don't know what you used for the shot but generally the smaller APC size sensors have the most depth of field because the lenses can be extremely short as they don't have that much sensor size to cover.

I don't know what you used for the shot but generally the smaller APC size sensors have the most depth of field because the lenses can be extremely short as they don't have that much sensor size to cover.
For that photo I was using a Sony Alpha 7R III with 70-200mm G-Master lens -- shooting F2.8 at 200mm.

For those wondering, Steve is making fun of the time I took a knife into a specialty knife store and the clerk working there ruined the blade. It was already sharp but I wanted the razor-sharp edge restored, which isn't all that easy with S35VN steel. Thats why I went to a specialty knife shop. When we back to get the knife a few hours later, I was in shock. Instead of seeing a glossy edge on my favourite knife, it looked like 1/4 of the blade was removed with a grinder. By a child.

I hope he replaced the knife, or at least gave you some cash so you could buy a replacement?

I hope he replaced the knife, or at least gave you some cash so you could buy a replacement?
That's how I ended up with two. I left him a regular blade (which he ruined). He did. The closest thing he had was the same model/brand knife with serrated blade - which he gave me in exchange for there knife he ruined. Then I went and purchased a new regular blade. The irony of all this is that I prefer the serrated blade for daily use.

Would you give a knife to someone in that state? :eek:

PfennRock made it sound worse than it was. Sure, I was bent but well within the standard deviation for acceptable public behavior.

Back