Photos, let's see 'em

I recently spent a few days at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. A sea turtle laid eggs about 75 yards down the beach from where we were staying. We would visit the nest every evening and most mornings. on the final day of our trip, a lone turtle hatched from the nest and made it to the ocean. It was a bucket list moment for me.

turtle.jpg

Last edited:
I recently spent a few days at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. A sea turtle laid eggs about 75 yards down the beach from where we were staying. We would visit the nest every evening and most mornings. on the final day of our trip, a lone turtle hatched from the nest and made it to the ocean. It was a bucket list moment for me.

View attachment 6629

Too cool!

View attachment 6629

Dude, that's so rad!

I watched a documentary I found on Netflix about turtles called Turtle: The Incredible Journey and it changed me.

A little story... ;D

Years ago I was bored... like so often. So to kill off some time I decided to build something that looked a bit trashy at first. But it did work:

001.jpg

It's some kind of "switch" made out of foam board and aluminum foil. Whatever touches this lever should trigger my camera. It did:

002.jpg

So after dropping screws, m&ms and whatever came across in water/milk I decided to push things a bit futher using an arduino...
003.jpg

...and a laser pointer. This seemed to work, too!
004.jpg

While the cat wasn't interested at all, I was very happy with the first result of this. So I got myself a eye dropper and kept playing around.
005.jpg

006.jpg

Cat still wasn't interested...
007.jpg

I then bought two valves instead of the laser pointer to create the drops on a more "predictable" basis. This was years before I've bought my first 3d printer so this is not really nice to look at:

008.jpg

But the results were quite impressive, I think:

009.jpg

010.jpg

Happy about now knowing I could do this.... I've lost interest. A few years later I did a rebuild of all this, including an app (win) to control everything... but still, it's only collecting dust somewhere.

Back