Photos, let's see 'em

From the Indy 500 track today (“pole day”). I got to drive my car around the track over 100 mph.

And visited the garages:

The ZR1 pace car looks fast standing still:

Sweet! my Uncle used to work for Roger Penske, so he had Gold Seat Tickets every year back in the 70's. I've always wanted to go, but never have the cash. Closest track to me is Watkins Glen, a thrill in itself when in a Mustang going 100 down the backstretch.(done it 3 times).

Sweet! my Uncle used to work for Roger Penske, so he had Gold Seat Tickets every year back in the 70's. I've always wanted to go, but never have the cash. Closest track to me is Watkins Glen, a thrill in itself when in a Mustang going 100 down the backstretch.(done it 3 times).
Speaking of which, my Mustang doing about 80 through the Esses at WGI. (don't mind the watermark)

roHWZ4L.jpg

I won't presume to speak for Steve, but in a modern performance car, 100 mph is pretty effortless.

It's the parts where you're suddenly supposed to be going way less than 100 mph for a turn where it gets, er, interesting.

Dave, it was a case of Newton’s law. There were 349 other cars, and I had to wait for the guy in front of me to give me some distance. Crashing, and therefore breaking, held me back.

12 years ago I got to do the same in my Viper, but they kept us at a speed of around 50mph. At least today I was able to go from around 40 to 100 in mere seconds.

Last edited:
Dave, it was a case of Newton’s law. There were 349 other cars, and I had to wait for the guy in front of me to give me some distance. Crashing, and therefore breaking, held me back.

12 years ago I got to do the same in my Viper, but they kept us at a speed of around 50mph. At least today I was able to go from around 40 to 100 in mere seconds.

Nice! It sure feels good to stretch the legs of a nice car on the track. I attended the Ford Performance Racing School not quite a year ago, and that was stoopid fun, once I got over the fear of breaking the car.

Must of been cool and scary at the same time. Was that on a special day? I ask, because they don't normally allow the Bikes anymore.
It was probably 10 years ago now. They made the track available to a motorcycle group for a few days once a year. I haven’t seen it pop up as an option for a while. I joined 60-90 riders, broken up into 3 groups who took turns with 30 minute sessions.
The barrier out of turn 1 was a bit intimidating the first couple of times making the turn off the front straight at speed, but eventually I registered that it wasn’t anywhere close to my turn markers and just carried on.
It and Barber are my favourite tracks on a bike.

It was probably 10 years ago now. They made the track available to a motorcycle group for a few days once a year. I haven’t seen it pop up as an option for a while. I joined 60-90 riders, broken up into 3 groups who took turns with 30 minute sessions.
The barrier out of turn 1 was a bit intimidating the first couple of times making the turn off the front straight at speed, but eventually I registered that it wasn’t anywhere close to my turn markers and just carried on.
It and Barber are my favourite tracks on a bike.
Cool, I usually go for opening weekend with about a hundred Mustang Owners from across the state. It's a good time and only $25 for 3 "paced" laps.

Back