Photos, let's see 'em

My winter paradise. The waves in the 2nd picture looked so much more intimidating in person.

hVkihkNh.jpg

350FTBBh.jpg

Some lovely pics in this thread!

Those pretty ice patterns that appear in cold weather on windows and metal are called frost ferns. I'll never forget the beautiful frost on the windows when we went to visit my grandmother in Austria when I was very young.

Frost ferns used to be a common sight in cold weather climates. But with the advent of better modern glass they're not to be seen very often these days except on windshields. Unless you're above the Arctic Circle...

The "Road to Hana" - An unforgettable journey.

We're taking that too! :)

It's definitely unforgettable but it sure can test your patience. Continuing past Hana gets even more interesting as the road narrowed considerably. Our trip back was much faster. My wife might argue that I was driving a little too fast but of course I disagree.

It's definitely unforgettable but it sure can test your patience. Continuing past Hana gets even more interesting as the road narrowed considerably. Our trip back was much faster. My wife might argue that I was driving a little too fast but of course I disagree.
I have been on that "darned" road 3X - It is much better if you are a passenger than the driver. The last time I did it, we went on a small tour bus, a great experience!

I have been on that "darned" road 3X - It is much better if you are a passenger than the driver. The last time I did it, we went on a small tour bus, a great experience!

Oh, really?

We're staying at Kihei (roughly), on the west coast. We will probably head north toward Kahului and then go clockwise around the island. The plan is to continue along route 31 and then 37 after Hana road ends around the southeast corner of the island. As far as I can tell from the maps there's no easy way to get back to the east coast, but we will have to go further inland (when we get neat the south-east corner of the island), heading back up toward Kahului, before driving down the west coast to Kihei again. Do you guys know anything about this?

Oh, really?

We're staying at Kihei (roughly), on the west coast. We will probably head north toward Kahului and then go clockwise around the island. The plan is to continue along route 31 and then 37 after Hana road ends around the southeast corner of the island. As far as I can tell from the maps there's no easy way to get back to the east coast, but we will have to go further inland (when we get neat the south-east corner of the island), heading back up toward Kahului, before driving down the west coast to Kihei again. Do you guys know anything about this?
I have circled the whole island a number of times. If you are going to continue to drive past Hana to the south east corner of the island (driving from Kahalui), the road will get narrower and in some place it turns to dirt (at least as of 2 years ago). You car rental contract may not cover any accidents if you get stranded after Hana. The road is drivable but just be a bit cautious. You will go from a jungle type climate in Hana to a desert type environment in about 10 minutes. It is definitely scenic & worth doing. We have done it with a tour bus 2X and with a local driver who knows the road. PM me and I can give you more info if you wish. After you round the southeast corner, the road is fine (full 2 lanes and paved) and you will end up at a local winery located at about 3K ft elevation. It is paved roads all the way back to civilization after the winery.

I have circled the whole island a number of times. If you are going to continue to drive past Hana to the south east corner of the island (driving from Kahalui), the road will get narrower and in some place it turns to dirt (at least as of 2 years ago). You car rental contract may not cover any accidents if you get stranded after Hana. The road is drivable but just be a bit cautious. You will go from a jungle type climate in Hana to a desert type environment in about 10 minutes. It is definitely scenic & worth doing. We have done it with a tour bus 2X and with a local driver who knows the road. PM me and I can give you more info if you wish. After you round the southeast corner, the road is fine (full 2 lanes and paved) and you will end up at a local winery located at about 3K ft elevation. It is paved roads all the way back to civilization after the winery.
Thank you very much - I will PM you :)

That pretty much describes it perfectly. Worth doing but just make sure you're not in a hurry. There's plenty to see.

Back