Photos, let's see 'em

I have to join in on the bike photo sharing. After finally getting my act together and losing enough weight to get back on a bike I have ridden a lot.

Here's my bike on a favorite trail.
AWOkp44.jpg

Taken from the bike on a rail-trail in Autumn.
dYECGuA.jpg

Another rail-trail, in winter.
IyjS2Gs.jpg

Finally, here's my bike in front of a footbridge that's symbolic for me. I hiked in this area a lot while working on losing weight, but was afraid to cross that bridge until I was under 250lbs. So it was a major thing for me when I crossed it (on foot) a little under a year ago. A few weeks later I got the bike.
qmnDAV6.jpg

I have to join in on the bike photo sharing. After finally getting my act together and losing enough weight to get back on a bike I have ridden a lot.

Here's my bike on a favorite trail.
AWOkp44.jpg

Taken from the bike on a rail-trail in Autumn.
dYECGuA.jpg

Another rail-trail, in winter.
IyjS2Gs.jpg

Finally, here's my bike in front of a footbridge that's symbolic for me. I hiked in this area a lot while working on losing weight, but was afraid to cross that bridge until I was under 250lbs. So it was a major thing for me when I crossed it (on foot) a little under a year ago. A few weeks later I got the bike.
qmnDAV6.jpg

Beautiful trails! Where is this?

Thanks! Northeastern Ohio. The Girdled Road Reservation, Maple Highlands Trail, and Western Reserve Greenway. The Towpath trail is another favorite but further away. The highlight is going through Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

Reminds me a lot of our Farmington Valley Rails-to-Trails Pathways, local Stratton Forest and Game Refuge. Fond memories of high school cross-country...

Reminds me a lot of our Farmington Valley Rails-to-Trails Pathways, local Stratton Forest and Game Refuge. Fond memories of high school cross-country...

I'd like to visit that region with some time to explore the trails, both on bike and on foot. I'm also really impressed with the rail-trails I've seen. I hadn't biked in decades and knew there were a few nice trails where I had been hiking, so I went with a bike suited for them. (I'm also avoiding motor vehicle traffic). When the paths became very crowded--especially with equestrians--I sought out the rail trails and was surprised how extensive they are.

I'm thinking about getting a gravel or endurance type bike for some longer trips, especially the Great Allegheny Passage between Pittsburgh and Cumberland, Maryland. (If I really got adventurous I could take the connecting C&O to DC, maybe visit the PRS factory.)

I'm thinking about getting a gravel or endurance type bike for some longer trips, especially the Great Allegheny Passage between Pittsburgh and Cumberland, Maryland.

That's the trail I ride on. Not so much the last couple years with various ailments. When I was riding more regularly, I was doing about 12-15 miles. In earlier years, about 20 on a fairly regular basis. Every now and then I'd go for longer trips - there's a park with a concession stand about 16 miles or so from where I start. I'd do that when I had time. My longest ride was 50 miles. Some nice views along the way. On the shorter rides, my turn-around is just past an old cemetery - that's where I stop for 10-15 minutes to rest, grab a drink, maybe stretch a little.

That's the trail I ride on. Not so much the last couple years with various ailments. When I was riding more regularly, I was doing about 12-15 miles. In earlier years, about 20 on a fairly regular basis. Every now and then I'd go for longer trips - there's a park with a concession stand about 16 miles or so from where I start. I'd do that when I had time. My longest ride was 50 miles. Some nice views along the way. On the shorter rides, my turn-around is just past an old cemetery - that's where I stop for 10-15 minutes to rest, grab a drink, maybe stretch a little.
Very cool, thanks. Id like to ride it sometime this year, depending on logistics, life, pandemic, etc. I'm concerned I'm over-estimating my endurance. While I've regularly done 30-40 mile rides on my hardtail mountain bike, that's been the limit so far.

Very cool, thanks. Id like to ride it sometime this year, depending on logistics, life, pandemic, etc. I'm concerned I'm over-estimating my endurance. While I've regularly done 30-40 mile rides on my hardtail mountain bike, that's been the limit so far.

It's been a while since I've ridden in the opposite direction, but there is a section that's technically a break in the trail where you have to ride through a small city. But beyond that, you get to a section that takes you past an amusement park, a water park, and a popular shopping area. A few miles beyond that, and you're about four blocks from one of my favorite restaurants. I've told my wife when we retire, we're going to drive to the strip mall and ride to the restaurant. It'll burn the calories - and keep us from getting leftovers so we don't have to haul them back!

I'm thinking about getting a gravel or endurance type bike for some longer trips, especially the Great Allegheny Passage between Pittsburgh and Cumberland, Maryland. (If I really got adventurous I could take the connecting C&O to DC, maybe visit the PRS factory.)

A great excuse to come back with two guitars. "Well, I had to be sure to balance the bike."

I'd like to visit that region with some time to explore the trails, both on bike and on foot. I'm also really impressed with the rail-trails I've seen. I hadn't biked in decades and knew there were a few nice trails where I had been hiking, so I went with a bike suited for them. (I'm also avoiding motor vehicle traffic). When the paths became very crowded--especially with equestrians--I sought out the rail trails and was surprised how extensive they are.

The ECG Greenway (Farmington Canal Heritage Trail) has trails which run from New Haven, CT in the south, 84 miles north to Northampton. MA. www.greenway.org has more info about walking/biking trails on the east coast.

Here's a direct link to the CT State portal for our local trails:

https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/News-from...Farmington-Canal-Bike--Pedestrian-Trail-Opens

I'd welcome guests and show you our former music venues (before Covid), but have no place for you to overnight; that'd be your responsibility. 2nd/3rd week of October when the air begins to turn crisp and the leaves turn, the scenery is phenomenal.

It's been a while since I've ridden in the opposite direction, but there is a section that's technically a break in the trail where you have to ride through a small city. But beyond that, you get to a section that takes you past an amusement park, a water park, and a popular shopping area. A few miles beyond that, and you're about four blocks from one of my favorite restaurants. I've told my wife when we retire, we're going to drive to the strip mall and ride to the restaurant. It'll burn the calories - and keep us from getting leftovers so we don't have to haul them back!

That sounds very cool, thanks. I'm okay with a little bit of road riding, at least where people expect to see bikes. Where I live drivers tended to be aggressive and/or distracted even back in the 90s (when I rode before), and vehicles have gotten larger with more distractions. If/when I get my trip set I might ask for the name of that restaurant.

A great excuse to come back with two guitars. "Well, I had to be sure to balance the bike."
Hey, hadn't thought of that. Nice. I'd probably have to get guitars with gig bags, though, as cases may be a bit unwieldy.

The ECG Greenway (Farmington Canal Heritage Trail) has trails which run from New Haven, CT in the south, 84 miles north to Northampton. MA. www.greenway.org has more info about walking/biking trails on the east coast.

Here's a direct link to the CT State portal for our local trails:

https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/News-from...Farmington-Canal-Bike--Pedestrian-Trail-Opens

I'd welcome guests and show you our former music venues (before Covid), but have no place for you to overnight; that'd be your responsibility. 2nd/3rd week of October when the air begins to turn crisp and the leaves turn, the scenery is phenomenal.

Very cool. Thank you. I really appreciate that. I'll have to see how things go, especially as a lot of life things are in flux. It'll also be quite some time before I'm eligible for a vaccine; I'm not even obese anymore. Thanks again.

...Very cool. Thank you. I really appreciate that. I'll have to see how things go, especially as a lot of life things are in flux. It'll also be quite some time before I'm eligible for a vaccine; I'm not even obese anymore. Thanks again.

Same here re: the vaccine. Although I'm a couple years under 65 myself, (a young hipster doofus :oops:) I might be eligible soon because I work in healthcare. At least I've an appointment for the 1st dose, though I might get kicked to the curb though if my work credentials might not be sufficient. The appointment is still several weeks away, but am looking forward to herd immunity like a lot of folks...

Congrats on the weight management. It proves that you can do it. Plz send some of that mojo this way, I'd like to keep my pants size at its current or smaller waistline if possible...

Hey, hadn't thought of that. Nice. I'd probably have to get guitars with gig bags, though, as cases may be a bit unwieldy.

Three it is then?! That’s why you have shoulders ;)

Back