Photobucket back!

Wasn't free, they made their money off of the ads, which were annoying, but it was understood that that's how the site was able to not charge us for hosting (many sites do this). So, yeah, it seems to be greed on the part of Photobucket to make money from the advertisements AND charge users too. Hardly selfish of the users.

Besides, every $50 - $100 saved not paying for a website, is another $50 - $100 towards a new guitar! :cool:

The selfish (and naive) part is in thinking they have any personal responsibility to you at all. They owe you no more than you owe them... which is nothing :)

I already agreed it was a dick move but where's the beef? Is it because of the money or because you were being herded off a cliff?

I'm betting it's the latter :)
My beef is that I and many thousands of others had spent countless hours creating content across thousands of different forums.
They singlehandedly destroyed all of that content for every user whether they created the content, or wanted to learn something based on the created content.
They foolishly thought they had everyone by the balls.
No... obviously they did not.
I didn't get herded off a cliff. They did.:)

Once you upload it to their server it becomes their content. Anything you create using their platform on their server is their property. It's in the EULA you agreed to when you signed up.

They owe you exactly what you paid :)

Backup?

On a lighter note when I create anything it's for the sake of creating, not archiving. I've lost stuff, probably more of it out of my own stupidity than others and it stings, but only until I realize it's just another reason to create more :)

Last edited:
It just floors me that people buying $5000-$10000 guitars are too cheap to pay for a web hosting plan. For a hundred bucks a year I get my own domain and a premium hosting plan with all the bells and whistles. You could do it for half that with a basic plan.

I agree that photobucket pulled a dick move, but expecting something for free forever when it costs money to provide is equally selfish.

Sorry I can't join the pity party :)

Yeah, I prefer to not think of it as being cheap, but deciding that for my needs in this particular area, a free site is adequate. And then they pull the jerk move and don't want to be what they said they were. And hijack every thread I've (and thousands of others) posted a picture in, in the last 10 years in the process! Calling it a jerk move doesn't make me "cheap." And, if you think saying it's a jerk move is a "pity party" then... never mind, I'll hope it was a bad attempt at humor. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Except this...

"I agree that photobucket pulled a dick move... "

If you choose to take it personally that's your choice but not my intention :)

Except this...

"I agree that photobucket pulled a dick move... "

If you choose to take it personally that's your choice but not my intention :)

I choose not too, but, after you said that you said "pity party." That term, to me, comes off as offensive unless it's from someone you know well enough to know they're teasing. Just one of those "trigger" words. But, maybe I'm jacked up on steroids or need anger management or sensitivity training. Maybe I accidentally took my wifes estrogen pills again. (checks nips for unusual sensitivity)

I choose not too, but, after you said that you said "pity party." That term, to me, comes off as offensive unless it's from someone you know well enough to know they're teasing. Just one of those "trigger" words. But, maybe I'm jacked up on steroids or need anger management or sensitivity training. Maybe I accidentally took my wifes estrogen pills again. (checks nips for unusual sensitivity)
Does that mean that you may or may not be in a bad moob?

Guit, you made it personal when you called us selfish and naive. Not cool of you to do that my friend.

STK648392

When someone gets offended it's because they choose to and if that's their choice there are no words you can use that won't offend them. When I take offense to ANYTHING, I blame it on my own lack of self discipline, not whatever offended me.

I don't feel the need to speak any way other than the way I choose to because my intention is never to offend but to learn or offer up something not on the table yet.

Cultivate your seventh sense. A good hearty sense of humor removes all need or desire for the militant political correctness destroying what little remains of meaningful discussion.

When I see a thread that is all one sided with no real discourse, I have to try to balance it out. I'm just one of those people who can't look at a crooked picture without REALLY wanting to fix it. It's hardly ever personal on my end, I'm just providing a counterpoint for discussion.

Most people wouldn't put themselves in that position but I really don't mind facing an ugly rock throwing hoard when they can't throw far enough to hit me. It's how I learn, I don't want to condemn people for not being who or what I think they ought to be, I want to understand them :)

Last edited:
Guit, you made it personal when you called us selfish and naive. Not cool of you to do that my friend.

On the contrary, you made it personal. I never called you or anyone else selfish or naive. I described a particular notion as being selfish and naive. You were the one who applied it to your own behavior :)

The beauty of a web hosting plan is pretty much everything is done for you and learning any of it amounts to five minutes on YouTube at worst. Uploading and linking pics, music, vids or anything else you want to share is easier than using any of the image hosting sites.

You're also kind of making my point. For that same $50-$100 you say you would have been willing to pay, you could get your own web hosting plan and not have to deal with any of their BS. I've always found customer service to be somewhat lacking when it comes to free stuff :)

I never said I'd be willing to pay that, just that some people would. I've never used Photobucket, so I didn't have a horse in this race other than losing access to pictures other people posted to various forums.

And it doesn't matter how many tutorials are out there, some people either don't have the aptitude or desire, or are just too intimidated to have their own web space. They may be more than willing to pay a service like Photobucket or Imgur to do all that stuff for them. It's a lot like any kind of service. I had to have some exhaust parts on a car replaced yesterday. Could I have done it myself with assistance? Probably. It would have taken three or four times as long, taken up a lot of my time, and it may not have been done in the best manner. Or I could pay a guy to do that stuff for me.

I never said I'd be willing to pay that, just that some people would. I've never used Photobucket, so I didn't have a horse in this race other than losing access to pictures other people posted to various forums.

And it doesn't matter how many tutorials are out there, some people either don't have the aptitude or desire, or are just too intimidated to have their own web space. They may be more than willing to pay a service like Photobucket or Imgur to do all that stuff for them. It's a lot like any kind of service. I had to have some exhaust parts on a car replaced yesterday. Could I have done it myself with assistance? Probably. It would have taken three or four times as long, taken up a lot of my time, and it may not have been done in the best manner. Or I could pay a guy to do that stuff for me.

But you wouldn't pay a web host to do all that stuff for you that you don't want to do?

A website is nothing more than a remote set of apps and folders just like you have locally on your computer. If you know how to navigate Windows, you already know 90% of what you need to know. Image hosting sites were never easier than hosting your own, the appeal was that it was free.

I'm autistic so EVERYTHING in this world intimidates me, but it hasn't stopped me from trying and learning new things. Learning to play guitar is an unbelievably difficult challenge for me, but I like it because I'd rather be over challenged than under challenged.

I'm with you on the car thing tho. I used to do all my own work but at almost 60 I just don't want to fight with a bunch of dirty, rusty, greasy **** anymore. I'll still do anything I can reach without getting under the vehicle or having to change clothes but that's about it these days :)

On the contrary, you made it personal. I never called you or anyone else selfish or naive. I described a particular notion as being selfish and naive. You were the one who applied it to your own behavior :)
Really?!?!

A "notion" cannot be selfish, nor naive, those words are adjectives, which describe people. I can only assume that English isn't your first language, and that you truly don't understand how rude you are being. So much for expecting an apology from an ass-hat. :rolleyes:

Really?!?!

A "notion" cannot be selfish, nor naive, those words are adjectives, which describe people. I can only assume that English isn't your first language, and that you truly don't understand how rude you are being. So much for expecting an apology from an ass-hat. :rolleyes:

I'm autistic

Guitpicky may require a little more patience and understanding from us.

Back