Phase Issues with PRS SE Singlecut + Seymour Duncan

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by AdenM, Apr 25, 2018.

1. AdenM

AdenM New Member

Hey all - sorry to have my first post on here be in times of trouble, but I hope to be an active member of the community going forward! I've lurked for a long time and recently begun modding one of my SEs, an 06 Singlecut Trem to be exact. I wired in a SD Black Winter in the bridge according to the relevant Seymour Duncan diagram (2 Hum, 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 1 3-way Toggle) and left the original wiring for the two conductor SE Bass neck pickup intact. I'm getting sound out of both pickups, but all toggle settings now sound like I have a coil tap engaged, lots of hum etc. Not sure what I need to do to fix this - is it just a phase issue and I need to flip the wiring for one of the pickups? Thanks in advance!

2. Dirty_Boogie

Dirty_Boogie Still got the ol' tagger on it

Welcome! I found when I installed a bridge Seymour Duncan on my SE, and left the stock neck PRS 85/15S in the neck, I had a big volume drop in the middle position. I flipped the wiring on the PRS pup, and all was good again. If I remember correctly, the PRS SE wiring colors are opposite to what you think they should be.

#2 Dirty_Boogie, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  3. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

A phase issue will only rear its head when you have both pickups on at the same time. If it's weak in every position, you probably have a bad solder joint in there somewhere, likely on a ground wire.

4. AdenM

AdenM New Member

Thanks Garrett! Decided to give it another go and ended up just being a bad ground to the vol. pot - resoldered and all is good.

dsenoj and garrett like this.