Phase III 'Tweaked' Re-Assembly

Erick_S

Question for the hive mind: has anyone reassembled Phase III 'tweaked' tuners in the field? At the factory the tuner is placed in a jig and put under torque so the collar can be secured (note: I don't know if that means the Gotoh or PRS factory).

I am looking to re-plate my tuners, which would require dis/reassembling the tuners. I emailed PRS, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!

Question for the hive mind: has anyone reassembled Phase III 'tweaked' tuners in the field? At the factory the tuner is placed in a jig and put under torque so the collar can be secured (note: I don't know if that means the Gotoh or PRS factory).

I am looking to re-plate my tuners, which would require dis/reassembling the tuners. I emailed PRS, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!

Saving myself a very long story - it's best if you email Gotoh directly. They are also very responsive with IG direct messages.

Good luck

I wish I could help more.

Just curious - what happened that you need to re-plate them?
Nothing happened. I want to go Black Nickel, but PRS doesn't sell 'Smoked Black Nickel' (Gotoh Cosmo Black) hardware. They won't install it via PTC either. It only comes on Wood Library and Private Stocks. I had it on a WL 594. Basically, it's full disassembly of the tuners to send out the bodies, spacers and buttons for re-plating. As a matter of fact, most of the parts of brand-new in box. I am also plating extra sets of tuners and bridges for future guitars.

Nothing happened. I want to go Black Nickel, but PRS doesn't sell 'Smoked Black Nickel' (Gotoh Cosmo Black) hardware. They won't install it via PTC either. It only comes on Wood Library and Private Stocks. I had it on a WL 594. Basically, it's full disassembly of the tuners to send out the bodies, spacers and buttons for re-plating. As a matter of fact, most of the parts of brand-new in box. I am also plating extra sets of tuners and bridges for future guitars.
I’m actually planning to do this same thing. I have an extra set of phase iii tuners and an extra two piece bridge I want to have plated black. Have you already found a place to do it? I really wish they’d just sell them lol.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The only thing I asked for wouldn't hurt PRS sell or anything like that
Yea I don’t get it. It’s not like black hardware is what’s pushing private stock sales. I considered going 3rd party but I’ve drank the Kool-aid and like the brass unplated posts touching the strings. Oh well. I’ve seen people get phase III tuners replated so I’m gonna figure it out. Definitely regret not grabbing a pair I saw on reverb a while back that’s for sure.

Last edited:
Yea I don’t get it. It’s not like black hardware is what’s pushing private stock sales. I considered going 3rd party but I’ve drank the Kool-aid and like the brass unplayed posts touching the strings. Oh well. I’ve seen people get phase III tuners replated so I’m gonna figure it out. Definitely regret not grabbing a pair I saw on reverb a while back that’s for sure.

Yeah I get that. Not like I'm defending PRS, but once you have a black tuners - you will need black bridge, saddles, strap buttons, switch and screws... With the way the brand is coming (far from metal) I just believe Paul and the crew see it as a niche - a place to rather lose in resources and time than to make money

I would f*****g kill for Stealth Black Custom 24!!!

Yeah I get that. Not like I'm defending PRS, but once you have a black tuners - you will need black bridge, saddles, strap buttons, switch and screws... With the way the brand is coming (far from metal) I just believe Paul and the crew see it as a niche - a place to rather lose in resources and time than to make money

I would f*****g kill for Stealth Black Custom 24!!!
Yup I have an extra set of all that in gold coming to put on one of my thinline’s and then I’m sending off all the left over chrome parts to be replated in black which will go on my other thinline. Then I’ll send that set of hardware off to be replated black and keep that as a back up or for the next 594 I inevitably buy lol.

Saving myself a very long story - it's best if you email Gotoh directly. They are also very responsive with IG direct messages.

Good luck
Finally heard back from Gotoh...they told me to contact PRS. As I read the e-mail the tuners are torqued to spec at the PRS factory, not the Gotoh factory. I contacted PRS about two weeks ago...still waiting for a reply.

I would be eager to hear your long story, BTW.

Mmm that’s why I have a non PRS with Ruthenium Gotoh hardware ;)
Yup I have an extra set of all that in gold coming to put on one of my thinline’s and then I’m sending off all the left over chrome parts to be replated in black which will go on my other thinline. Then I’ll send that set of hardware off to be replated black and keep that as a back up or for the next 594 I inevitably buy lol.
I'm plating six sets of hardware - enough for my current four, and full hardware for two more 594s. If I am going to pay a batch-fee for plating, I want to take advantage.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The only thing I asked for wouldn't hurt PRS sell or anything like that
Nope. You can't even pay to have the PTC install them (i.e. buy them via the PTC). Strictly Wood Library and Private Stock. I have a friend who owns multiple Private Stocks and he is going to try and get different locking saddles. We'll see what they say.

Finally heard back from Gotoh...they told me to contact PRS. As I read the e-mail the tuners are torqued to spec at the PRS factory, not the Gotoh factory. I contacted PRS about two weeks ago...still waiting for a reply.

Without going into details - they told me no. Waited about 2 weeks to hear that.

I like the guitars and Pauls drive to innovate but customer support is a joke.

I'm plating six sets of hardware - enough for my current four, and full hardware for two more 594s. If I am going to pay a batch-fee for plating, I want to take advantage.
This is the way to go! Any way I can pay you to do a few sets for me?? I’m determined to get this done lol.

I wonder if it’s possible to pay to send the disassembled phase III tuners to the PTC after replating to have them reassembled to spec

Back