Phase III Tuners - What Size Are The Hex Set Screws On Tuner Shaft

Stephen L Hardy

The tension on my tuners is very low, which seems to be allowing some of them to slip out of tune. According to PRS tech support, I can increase the tension. To do this, I must loosen the sets screws and turn the collars inward towards the head stock and re-tighten them. This will provide additional tension. However, I was told the screw size is 1/32. I have searched all over the web and in local hardware stores, but cannot find that size of wrench, or bit. A #2 Torx screws is a close fit, but too loose to use without stripping the screw.

Does anyone know the exact screw size? If not, does anyone know who manufactures them for PRS? I'd gladly contact them.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Are you talking about the "tweaked" version as used on the 594? I seem to remember PRS marketing materials saying not to touch the set screws on the shaft collars.

Are you talking about the "tweaked" version as used on the 594? I seem to remember PRS marketing materials saying not to touch the set screws on the shaft collars.
Yes. However, PRS tech support SPECIFICALLY told me how to adjust them to increase tuner tension. Mine were so loose that I couldn't keep it in tune which is quite surprising considering tuning stability with my past PRSi. I was able to add tension to one using a bit that was a close fit, but I don't want to continue with that bit & strip the heads. You are mistaken on this one.

You need to ask yourself why they changed them from the original Phase III without the set screws. The reason was the inability to adjust the tension that's typical on so many other tuners.

Yes. However, PRS tech support SPECIFICALLY told me how to adjust them to increase tuner tension. Mine were so loose that I couldn't keep it in tune which is quite surprising considering tuning stability with my past PRSi. I was able to add tension to one using a bit that was a close fit, but I don't want to continue with that bit & strip the heads. You are mistaken on this one.

Yeah I found it was actually Shawn on here who basically said not to mess with them.

You need to ask yourself why they changed them from the original Phase III without the set screws. The reason was the inability to adjust the tension that's typical on so many other tuners.

The marketing material does cover this one.

"Tweaked Phase III tuners that have an added set screw that pulls the tuner’s shaft, gear, and worm together (but take the tuner button out of play) to promote tone transfer from the string directly into the guitar itself with as little energy as possible begin detracted."

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.ph...ability_prs_guitars_announces_the_mccarty_594

You can adjust the tension of normal tuners by tightening/loosening the screw that holds the button on.

Man you're right, 1/32" hex seems non-existent. Some of the larger sets and jeweler's sets have 0.035" so maybe that's what they meant? You got me curious because a couple of mine are looser than others, so it would be nice to be able to tighten them some day.

Shawn is the guy who told me to adjust the collars to increase the tension. I questioned him again yesterday about 1/32 being the correct size. He said one of the guys in engineering gave him that number & insisted that it must be correct. He also said they are made by Gotoh. I contacted Gotoh in Japan & they said I could purchase a wrench from their Canadian agent. I emailed the agent, but have not heard back yet. Shawn said PRS won’t supply a wrench because they didn’t make the tuners. So I bought a $4200 guitar, but they won’t supply a 15 cent wrench. It’s ridiculous that customers have to jump through hoops to fix loose tuners that are slipping. I’ve never purchased a guitar that didn’t include a wrench for every adjustment screw on the instrument!

There were a lot of past complaints about the non-tweaked tuners being stiff & not being able to loosen the tension. I’m thinking they switched to the new ones with the adjustable collars to resolve that issue. The statement that they did it to improve tone transfer sounds like PR statement, so as not to admit that there was a flaw in the original design.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

The Tweaked Phase III tuners are only used on the 594 models, the untweaked Phase III tuner are still in use for all other core models. As mentioned in our earlier email conversation, PRS will be happy to evaluate the guitar here at the factory, but you stated you would prefer to adjust the tuners on your own, instead of sending the guitar to us. Also as mentioned in our earlier email conversation, the wrench needed to adjust the small set screws located on the collar of the Phase III tuners is 1/32". Thanks.

I can't believe none of you have figured this out yet.

Stephen can't find a 1/32" hex wrench. Garrett chips in, he can't find them. Nobody has yet tied that to Shawn's absence from the board for a few days.

It's obvious to me - Shawn was frantically traveling the country buying up all the 1/32" hex wrenches so he can sell them at a huge profit.

I have never seen or heard of a 1/32" hex wrench, and just checking McMaster Carr website there is none listed. it is most likely a 1.5 mm, especially if it was made by a Japanese company. I doubt they would use SAE fasteners.

Try NAPA auto supply. I’ve ordered several “impossible to find” tools, and parts from them over the years. Also, harbor freight, or grizzly might have them. I’ve had many Japanese cars, and they have odd size grub screws, and nuts in the dashboard...found this out the hard way! Good luck!

I can confirm that the 0.89 mm Allen wrench fits perfectly.

Easy to adjust. Loosen both hex set screws. I kept the hex wrench in one set screw and gently twisted the tuning key while holding the collar tightly with the hex key and testing tension until I was happy. Then tightened both set screws with multiple equal tension turns until both were torqued down well.

I have had tuning/tremolo issues with this Wood Library MEV since purchasing this year. I have an EVH TremEndus (as with all my floating tremolo guitars).

Since tightening the collars, zero problems once strings are stretched and broken in! The tuners were loose as heck from the factory. I like mine good and firm but not too hard to twist.

Wow, did tightening those new double set screw collars improve tuning stability on drive bombs and heavy tremolo use!!!

Hi everyone! First post. New '22 Hollowbody II Piezo, in purple iris, absolutely love this instrument.

Still getting things dialed in. Intonation is pretty much there. Doesn't take a traditional capo well, requires a super light touch so adjustable capo has been helpful.

Mine doesn't hold a tune super well, and just today I noticed that the tuners are really easy to loosen (Some more than others), seems likely why it's going out. I noticed the hex screws and thought they could be tightened, but I see that they're not the mechanism of tightening directly, but they allow you to tighten using the tuning key itself. I'll use Glide-bpm's method above.

I ordered 5 of the wrenches from Chad's toolbox (.89mm) as above and we'll see how they do!

Glide-bpm, it seems like your first experience has been positive since tightening ("Wow, did tightening those new double set screw collars improve tuning stability on drive bombs and heavy tremolo use!!!")

Note #1. The specs for the Piezo does not seem to indicate the modified tweaked tuners. However, mine came with them, and a few other searches for the same instrument for sale w/ pictures also shows the set screws. So there is a chance these became standard at some point in the run on even the non-594s, at least for the hollowbody piezos?

Note #2: I am told the purple iris color is being discontinued due to supply... Maybe that's just what they told me, ha!

Back