Phase III tuners tension adjustment and button removal

grausch

I recently purchased a used set of Phase III tuners that according to the owner were barely used. These replaced a set of Gotoh SD 90 MG tuners in my Bernie. With the Gotohs I had absolutely zero issues, but post-install of the Phase IIIs, the following started occurring:
  1. Tuning up on the G, B and e strings, it almost seems like the string gets stuck in the nut, i.e. I turn a few times with nothing happening and then the string jumps past the right pitch;
  2. Tuning down on the G and e strings, I find that the tuner is too loose and feels like it loses too much tension and the string then drops below the desired pitch.
These problem sound like the nut is binding, but I noticed that the treble-side tuners have almost no tension on them, and there is definite play in the gears. On two of them I can wobble the arm that holds the tuner button a little side to side and when I start tuning up, it almost seems like the tuner itself tightens up a little as I start tuning up.

I have another guitar with Phase IIIs and they function flawlessly. Therefore, I am guessing that there must be a set screw somewhere that I could tighten. The screws at the back of the gears are tightened, and the screw holding the button in place is tight as well. Buttons seem to be the originals - not sure if the previous owner ever removed them.

Any advice on how to solve this problem would be appreciated.

Sounds like you just need a little more tension on a couple of the tuner buttons. Those screws on the buttons are very sensitive. Even 1/8 of a turn in either direction makes a huge difference.

Conversely, if they're too tight the buttons will bind and tuning action won't be smooth.

Thanks. They felt pretty tight already, but will give it a try once I get a chance.

Sounds like you just need a little more tension on a couple of the tuner buttons. Those screws on the buttons are very sensitive. Even 1/8 of a turn in either direction makes a huge difference.

Conversely, if they're too tight the buttons will bind and tuning action won't be smooth.
Thanks for the help. Even though they felt securely tightened, I managed to get another 1/8 turn out of them and now the tension is much better.

Any advice for removing the tuner buttons? Those things are on so tight that I could not pull them off. Did not want to damage the tuner by applying excessive force, and from my understanding, they should slip right off.

Thanks for the help. Even though they felt securely tightened, I managed to get another 1/8 turn out of them and now the tension is much better.

Any advice for removing the tuner buttons? Those things are on so tight that I could not pull them off. Did not want to damage the tuner by applying excessive force, and from my understanding, they should slip right off.

I had a couple on one guitar that were tough to get off. I gave the tuner button a quick, hard turn to try and loosen from the shaft, then wiggled the button and pulled. Took a couple attempts doing this, but they finally came off.

I haven't taken a button off a core PRS tuner. The buttons have come right off of every other tuner I've fooled with, but it wouldn't surprise me if the ones made for PRS have super tight tolerances.

Back