Phase III tuners and core nut on an SE Paul's

Davey

Just Jammin'
Just wanted to share more info about what works.

I wanted to upgrade the nut and switch to locking tuners on my SE Paul's. The Phase III locking tuners may be a moot point now as I read a post from Shawn somewhere that PRS was coming out with vintage style locking tuners.

I had seen a few people had posted various brands and styles of tuners that will work including the Phase III tuners will work in the SE Paul's.
Indeed they will. I had to slightly enlarge (drill) the backside of the headstock about 1/16" countersink to allow the tuner to sit flush/flat with backside.
I used the stock SE bushings as the front side of the headstock would need to be enlarged for the phase III bushings so I decided to stay with the stock SE ones.

The core nut change was a matter of swapping them out. I did file the nut slots slightly to lower the string height, but it would have worked fine without lowering them.

Here a couple shots of the finished product. I did go with the ebony buttons to keep the same look as the original button color. The tuners utilized the same screw holes as the vintage style. Not super clear in pics, but there is the faint outline of the old vintage style tuners but only in certain light can you notice the indentations.
50452483658_3ecba55ece_b.jpg

Front side, pay no attention to my cheesy stain and finish job on the custom TRC.
50453193501_b67bc35e63_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

I do too! The closed back and vintage do have their place, but I thought the Paul's needed something more modern.
It's funny because I think of open back tuners as a more vintage look (not on electrics but old acoustics you see them a lot). Either way you see it, it's cool!

Looks great! I'm huge fan of open gear tuners. I view open tuners as a vintage look too.

Back