Phase II Tuners

fatbagg

Hey, with the Phase II locking tuners, should I "wrap" the string traditionally? (Meaning, having a few full winds on the post)

OR...Should I lock them with very little slack, and go with like half a turn or so?

Any tonal benefits/issues with these tuners?

I got a new PRS last night with them, and Im not familiar with them at all.

fatbagg said:
Hey, with the Phase II locking tuners, should I "wrap" the string traditionally? (Meaning, having a few full winds on the post)

OR...Should I lock them with very little slack, and go with like half a turn or so?

Any tonal benefits/issues with these tuners?

I got a new PRS last night with them, and Im not familiar with them at all.

The best way, and what I noticed Len did during his set ups, was poke it through a little bit and let the locking mechanism do its work. No need to wrap it like a traditional tuner!

Unless you're like me, and you over tighten the high e lock and snap the string. Did that 2 nights ago and I fortunately had about a full loop wound around on that and the B string. So I was able to push the formerly wrapped end back through and clamp down a bit lighter to salvage the string. I knew there was some subconscious reason for looping those 2 strings! :cool:

I've only snapped one string off in the Phase II lock (Duh...) :D
I don't wrap around the post at all. When re-stringing I just line up the holes to point at the neck, pull the strings tight and screw down. So far (except for my one moronic mistake) everything is good.

With the winged or the phase 2's there is no reason to loop around the post. Pull the string tight and then lock it down. The tuner will bring it to tune with less than one full rotation. They work great.

Me too! Works like a charm!

dmatthews said:
I've only snapped one string off in the Phase II lock (Duh...) :D
I don't wrap around the post at all. When re-stringing I just line up the holes to point at the neck, pull the strings tight and screw down. So far (except for my one moronic mistake) everything is good.

I've actually always wondered about this myself. I usually give it the length of two posts before wrapping, but I also use weird tunings and keep the way of thinking to have a little extra just in case :p

I've seen the pros use just under 1 wrap on them when setting up a phase II (or III) tuners. I've been told there are incredibly tiny tonal differences between no wrap and a little wrap. Tiny. I've never heard the difference. But if you can, more power to you.

A good tip: Line the holes up with the neck and pull the string tight, but over 2 fingers rested on the nut. It leaves the "ideal" amount of string to wrap (but YMMV). Also, I have big meat hooks for hands so adjust, as required, to meet your own preferences.

Other considerations: If your setup is jacked-up and you are having some tremolo tuning issues, leave no wraps. Then there is less string to slip, but remember... that is a temporary fix.

The other nice thing about leaving a little wrap is the locking screw can all be "hand tight" and still lock reliably. Of course, everyone has a different opinion (and ability) on that issue. If you do not leave a little string wrapped, make sure you use a nickel or your tool of choice to lock the nut properly.

Back