Phase II tuner buttons

Egads

One, Two, THIRTEEN!
I'm looking to replace the stock buttons on my 513 and Mira with ebony buttons. It looks/sounds like Schaller M6 buttons are the proper fit. StewMac has two sizes of buttons--small and large (or regular). Does anyone know what size would match the stock buttons?

Thanks for the help.

Replacement should be M6 Mini if I am correct. Stock buttons should be the small ones, but most of the Ebony button replacements I have seen are large.

M6 or M6A are larger and look more like Phase I's. These have the larger buttons. You should be able to exchange buttons between both versons (Regular /Mini) if I am correct.

Just realized a couple of days ago that the button size was actually smaller than the Phase I and III. About to post a nice poll on that.

Thanks for the info. I kept going back and forth while looking at the pics on stewmac. I'll order up a couple mini sets and let everyone now how it goes.

Thanks again. This place is such a great resource.

Any luck with this? I have a 2008 CU24 with Phase 2, but the buttons are wayyyyy smaller than those on my DGT with Phase 3 tuners. I'm thinking that I need to replace with the 'Mini' buttons from Schaller?

Yep, Schaller M6 minis work. I pulled some off my Godin LGX proto, and they are perfect. I'll post pics when I get around to taking some. :)

Any luck with this? I have a 2008 CU24 with Phase 2, but the buttons are wayyyyy smaller than those on my DGT with Phase 3 tuners. I'm thinking that I need to replace with the 'Mini' buttons from Schaller?
Jarek. Which ones are you looking to replace?
The Phase 3 to smaller buttons?
Phase 3 tuners are made by Gotoh and I understand that the buttons are different. You need buttons made for Gotoh tuners. More onfo on that here:
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?1191-Ebony-Tuner-Button-on-Phase-III-Tuners

The Phase 2 with larger buttons to match the DGT?
Then the large M6 buttons we are talking about here should work.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I have the nickel ones on my phase 2 right now, and I'd like to replace them with ebony for less weight, and to match the colors of the guitar better. It's a Artist Package, so the headstock has the veneer, and the neck is ebony, so I think that the ebony knobs will be a better look.

I tried putting these on, but they are really hard to turn? For some reason, even when I don't have the 'holding' screw keeping the new button in place, the tuners feel like they are at their max?

I'm really puzzled by this!

I think I figured it out. Smart guy here didn't realize the buttons weren't purely cosmetic, and therefore didn't loosen the strings before removing the old buttons. So the tuning button shaft slid towards the middle of the headstock; when I put the new buttons on, the tuner was misaligned, and therefore unable to turn.

I don't think (hope) I did any permanent damage.

Am I the first person to make this mistake???

So I can correct this by loosening string tension, and then removing the buttons, and putting the new ones on, correct?

I used the larger ebony buttons from Stew-Mac. I don't like the feel of the smaller buttons. As you can see, the large buttons work fine with phase II"s.
DSC09997_zps9ed5c36a.jpg

I saw someone on Youtube transfer their Phase i buttons to their phase ii tuners. Aren't they compatible? They're advertised otherwise on John Mann but the only ones available.

Back