Phase 3 tuners stiff.

markj

I have two superb PRS,s. A stripped 58 with phase 3 tuners that are easy to turn and smooth and a DGT that has phase 3 tuners that are quite stiff to turn. I've tried slackening off the screws that hold the faux ivory tuning buttons but this has made no difference, also tried lubricating the tuner worm with a light machine oil. This also has made no difference. Any advice very welcome.

The Faux Ivory buttons make the tuners stiffer ( I have them on my SC58 ) switched them back to the chrome buttons and the operation is much smother.
I found that the Ivory tuners do loosen after a bit start with them tight they will free up some

My 2012 dgt has the same issue. I tore them all the way down, inspected them for damage, lubed and rebuilt them. A couple are stiffer than the rest. I just try to ignore it now...

Weird. I have three currently with the Phase IIIs, and have had several others, and none have been stiff.

I wonder if there is some kind of adjustment that PRS can advise on?

Weird. I have three currently with the Phase IIIs, and have had several others, and none have been stiff.

I wonder if there is some kind of adjustment that PRS can advise on?

With such fine quality of PRS guitars, I'm quite surprised about this.

Doesn't loosening (just a little) the little screw on top of the buttons help?

This is weird, my Phase IIIs on my 408 are so easy to turn.
Even after taking off the stock chrome ones and putting on the ebony buttons.
I did not even loosen the strings when I took off the stock buttons and swapped over to the dark side.

I have had minimal to no problems with the tuners on all of my PRS's & I am thankful. The same cannot be said for guitars that I own that are not made by PRS.

It's true. I have a few private stock guitars with stiff phase 3 tuners. It's a hassle to make fine adjustments in pitch. The knobs resist. The resistance suddenly gives way when you crank up the force and the knob turns by too much.

I'm surprised these passed inspection.
I have this issue on one of my private stocks with wood buttons, but not the one with faux bone buttons. I'm curious are yours with this issue also wood?

I have this issue on one of my private stocks with wood buttons, but not the one with faux bone buttons. I'm curious are yours with this issue also wood?

I have wood buttons on one of my PS, and no issues at all with Phase IIIs.

Here's the thing: there has to be a simple adjustment, and if not, I'd have PRS fix it, which they are more than happy to do if it's a warranty repair.

I remember a post fom Shawn@PRS about adjusting the screw on the tuner to reduce the stiffness. I would link you to it but I can't seem to find it. If you email the PTC they would probably give you the best advice. Good luck.

Before I received this DGT, it had been out on the showroom floor for some time and had the dings to prove it. I got an exceptional deal on it so I didn't mind, but a couple of the tuners were stiffer than they should be. I assumed that they must have impact damage, so I went through them looking for damage but found none. I've installed and rebuilt quite a few tuners before and understand the workings and adjustments, but these remain stiff no matter what. I attribute it to a manufacturing tolerance issue. The other guitars I have with these tuners feel correct.
I know I could have sent the guitar back to PRS for repair/replacement, but I decided it wasn't bad enough to bother with. I've seen a couple of other mentions of this before, so my guess is they might have had a bad 'Friday' batch of tuners sneak through with a gear lash issue.
Bottom line is I have no doubt that PRS would take care of this if anyone finds it too troublesome.

This is mainly why I like phase 2s better. Never had stiff phase 2s. I've lubes the gears in my 3s and played with the button screws with no results.

It's true. I have a few private stock guitars with stiff phase 3 tuners. It's a hassle to make fine adjustments in pitch. The knobs resist. The resistance suddenly gives way when you crank up the force and the knob turns by too much.

I'm surprised these passed inspection.
the tuners on my Chinese made gretsch are super smooth. Come on PRS get your act together.

Back