Pete Loeffler (Chevelle) Signature Model Possibly?

It is pete's loss if he stops playing guitars he has praised for years because of something like this.

On a serious note is he upset over lost royalties? Why else would he have sour grapes over no sig model. For what it's worth I had never heard of chevelle until a couple of years ago and that was only because I was looking at baritone PRS. You could ask joe blogs on the street in Europe if they have heard of staind or megadeth and chances are they would have.

No disrespect to any fans of chevelle but emailing the PRS customer service takes their time away from business issues.

Well I mean its all here-say so no one really knows and I dont want to speculate but I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with money. Margins on import guitars like that are very minimal for their respective artist, no matter the company.

Of course Page, Slash, Gibbons, Bloomfield, West, Clapton, Beck, all the greats created their signature tones first on their signature guitars.

Well I mean its all here-say so no one really knows and I dont want to speculate but I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with money. Margins on import guitars like that are very minimal for their respective artist, no matter the company.

True, I doubt it will make anyone a fortune having a signature guitar. Apart from the king Les Paul.
PRS did make him some amazing artist guitars but people do prefer different things over time, it won't mean there is anything "malicious" and you never know there might be some Ex-Artist Baritone PRS on eBay in the future for you Mike ;)

I think he's felt snubbed as he apparently had been in talks with PRS since (as far as fans know) 2009 about a signature model (most likely an SE), and then out of nowhere they told him it won't happen and that they aren't doing signature models anymore. It's kind of a slap in the face to an artist who has used nothing but their instruments and publicly praised them, only to see artists who were never PRS artists (Marty Freidman, Nick Cantanese) receive models.

There's a pretty recent rig rundown on Guitar Premiere with Pete. I kept waiting for the guy to ask him about his PRSi. Nada. Pete mentions owning several other brands, even Gibson, Danelectro. He's having to think fairly hard to name brands and PRS never comes up.

I bet if the guy did ask, his response would have been, "PR - what? Nah never heard of 'em". He clearly has made a choice to completely cut ties with them, it's a shame really.

There's been a decent amount of buzz about this... wouldn't be surprised if someone at PRS has at least taken notice. Look at how many ZM's have sold, they'd be crazy not to look into it.

There's been a decent amount of buzz about this... wouldn't be surprised if someone at PRS has at least taken notice. Look at how many ZM's have sold, they'd be crazy not to look into it.
Totally different animal. The ZM filled a niche, a semi-hollow shorter scale singlecut at an affordable price. There's nothing else like it in the SE lineup (or general PRS lineup for that matter).

How would a Loeffler sig model be different from a Mushok? Other than cosmetics, of course. What niche would the Loeffler fill that the Mushok doesn't already?

If you try to find baritones out there, there are but a handful to choose from from just a few manufacturers. They don't fly off the shelves.

There's a pretty recent rig rundown on Guitar Premiere with Pete. I kept waiting for the guy to ask him about his PRSi. Nada. Pete mentions owning several other brands, even Gibson, Danelectro. He's having to think fairly hard to name brands and PRS never comes up.

I bet if the guy did ask, his response would have been, "PR - what? Nah never heard of 'em". He clearly has made a choice to completely cut ties with them, it's a shame really.

Just watched the video.
Yeah he pretty much went out of his way to avoid saying he used PRS.
And it was tough to listen to that goober interviewing him, so awkward.

Totally different animal. The ZM filled a niche, a semi-hollow shorter scale singlecut at an affordable price. There's nothing else like it in the SE lineup (or general PRS lineup for that matter).

Yup. I don't know who Zack M is or care about him, but the guitar looks nice. It stands on it's own.

Yup. I don't know who Zack M is or care about him, but the guitar looks nice. It stands on it's own.

I honestly wonder how well the original ZM guitars sold in the silver or blue sparkle 3 humbucker configuration. I mean I like Zach, but he received a signature guitar for a band whom he had only officially been the guitar player for for only a year at that time. It's still never been answered whether or not he actually played on the album that that band was currently supporting (The Sound of Madness) since it was known that the original guitar player did in fact write and play at least all of those songs singles live prior to it's release and was kicked out after it was finished recorded.
To be honest I really feel like this current semi-hollow signature is more of his guitar then the original one due to the direction of the songs that are on the current album, Amaryllis that he did write and play on.

As for Pete, he has always been a PRS player and the talk of him getting signature from PRS has literally been going on since they first made him that custom baritone that he started playing in 2007. Chevelle is currently touring under their most successful album yet and I gotta say, it's kind of heartbreaking hearing him send his tone down the crapper using modified Fenders (gross).

As for Pete, he has always been a PRS player and the talk of him getting signature from PRS has literally been going on since they first made him that custom baritone that he started playing in 2007. Chevelle is currently touring under their most successful album yet and I gotta say, it's kind of heartbreaking hearing him send his tone down the crapper using modified Fenders (gross).

I know tone is subjective, and I wanted to hate it. But I've seen them twice now using the Fender setups, one indoor and one outdoor, both had incredibly brutal tone. Brutal in a great way. I wouldn't say better than his tone with PRSi, but different, definitely not a downgrade IMHO. Which I'm sure is why he's stayed with it instead of other brands that typical heavier bands use. The heaviness and articulation in the mix was so well balanced. I'm of the opinion that it's the SD pickups responsible for the tone, more than it being a Strat.

I know tone is subjective, and I wanted to hate it. But I've seen them twice now using the Fender setups, one indoor and one outdoor, both had incredibly brutal tone. Brutal in a great way. I wouldn't say better than his tone with PRSi, but different, definitely not a downgrade IMHO. Which I'm sure is why he's stayed with it instead of other brands that typical heavier bands use. The heaviness and articulation in the mix was so well balanced. I'm of the opinion that it's the SD pickups responsible for the tone, more than it being a Strat.

Sadly I've yet to actually see them in person since it's rare they ever come to South Florida anymore, but I've commissioned a few shows to be filmed from various filmers', as well as picked up a few great quality audio bootlegs and just have not been impressed at all. The cleans, though not often, and the light distortions are especially bland. Some songs just sound wrong. Pretty sure the songs that early on in the tour he was absolutely needing to rely on a PRS for they have completely omitted from the setlists too :/

I've commissioned a few shows to be filmed from various filmers', as well as picked up a few great quality audio bootlegs and just have not been impressed at all. The cleans, though not often, and the light distortions are especially bland. Some songs just sound wrong.

I've never seen them live either, and I LOVE Chevelle. They are some of my favorite records. However. I thought the live album they released sounded like garbage. His tone, and his ability to play and sing at the same time I think keeps the band from sounding no where near as tight as the studio sound they get.

Sometimes I feel the same about Deftones. Who I love, love, dearly. But quite simply, they are known for a much looser sound live than on the record. But hey it ain't easy!!

Sorry to get off topic....

Sometimes I feel the same about Deftones. Who I love, love, dearly. But quite simply, they are known for a much looser sound live than on the record. But hey it ain't easy!! Sorry to get off topic....

When was the last time you saw the Deftones? I've seen them a few times recently and they sound bigger than ever to me.

When was the last time you saw the Deftones? I've seen them a few times recently and they sound bigger than ever to me.

I was friendly with a few bands that always seemed to be on tour with the Deftones, so I saw them a bunch by accident... They always sounded big and tight.

I was friendly with a few bands that always seemed to be on tour with the Deftones, so I saw them a bunch by accident... They always sounded big and tight.

I've always wanted to like them, but can't seem to get into them.

No idea on the sig model.

I've never seen them live either, and I LOVE Chevelle. They are some of my favorite records. However. I thought the live album they released sounded like garbage. His tone, and his ability to play and sing at the same time I think keeps the band from sounding no where near as tight as the studio sound they get.

Sometimes I feel the same about Deftones. Who I love, love, dearly. But quite simply, they are known for a much looser sound live than on the record. But hey it ain't easy!!

Sorry to get off topic....

Yea I think some songs were better than others on the Any Last Words DVD as well, but I honestly haven't seen a bad or boring live show from them since 2005 when I saw them open for Nickelback when they were transitioning bassists.

I can definitly agree with you on the Deftones comment, I've honestly seen more bad shows from them then good. Ever since they released Diamond Eyes and got Sergio Vega on bass though all the shows I've sen have been killer across the board.

Tonight Chevelle is doing a live webcast through Livenation and Yahoo. It's a shame, I honestly don't think that this is the bands best album as it lacks hooks, but is a great disc musically. For this album their label and management/PR have been doing a great job, the tours have been sold out all over the US and UK. Instead of Pete rocking PRS it's those horrid Fender's he's been playing. Some songs just don't lend themselves well even with swapped out pickups in them :/

Back