Pet Peeve

The only thing that annoys me relative to strings is hearing people mispronounce D'Addario, especially those in the business who should know better.

It's Da-darrio ... not Dee-addario!

OK, now I feel better. :)

The only thing that annoys me relative to strings is hearing people mispronounce D'Addario, especially those in the business who should know better.

Wait - it’s not DEE-a-duh-REE-oh?

So I must not say:

“I’m going down the crick, to put a pair of Dee-addario strings on ma git-fiddle”

So I must not say:

“I’m going down the crick, to put a pair of Dee-addario strings on ma git-fiddle”
No, you must surely not! Both the grammar and the style police would be forced to open an investigation, and that never ends well.

I get irritated by people who have dropped ‘to be’ from their vocabulary.
“This needs fixed” is not a properly formed assertion and will be ignored.

That’s my wife you’re talking about. Drives me nuts. Just last week, she took me to the doctor and said, “He needs fixed!”

Anyway, I get my stitches out Tuesday.

Then there’s ‘erb (herb), Kebarb (Kebab) and Sodder (solder). All words used by my friend Danny, from Chicago who was the drummer on my main gigging band from years ago.

Pronunciation is a fascinating thing. We’re all different.

I like to try to appreciate the diversity. Most of the time I do. The worlds more interesting that way.

For me, I find that lazy speech is the one that grates though. That can occur anywhere in any language.

Back