Pernambuco yes or no?

Milchschnitte

Hello fellow PRS enthusiasts,

I have a question regarding the use of Pernambuco in PRS guitars.

I was toying around with the idea of letting go of my Private Stock Violin 1 to fund another guitar and it seemed pretty convenient to sell it to a dealer in Germany with whom I have done business in the past.

When we discussed my guitar, the dealer told me, that due to the recent change in CITES restrictions, he had done quite a bit of research on woods used by PRS.

He told me he found out that, since Pernambuco is listed in cites appendix II since 2008, PRS had actually never used real Pernambuco (Caesalpinia echinata) in their guitars, even though my PS certificate lists the neck as being Perny.

Instead PRS had always used the wood type Caesalpinia velutina a.k.a Chaltecoco on all guitars, even though the certificates may say differently.

I was somewhat baffled by this, as I really thought that the Violin 1 and the Collection guitars had real perny necks.

I do remember the time when PRS did a run of guitars with necks that were listed as being "Chaltecoco Pernambuco " and all the controversy that brought along (..Almost as much turmoil that the term Sinker Mahogany brought a couple of years back...), but I really believed that if it said Pernambuco in the PS certificate it would be perny in the actual guitar.

If it makes any difference, my guitar is one of the 25 international versions with madagascar rosewood board, not brazzy you guys got in the U.S.

Have I been misinformed?

So please, PS experts, feel free to chime in and give your two cents.

As usual you help and insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Olli

I was quite certain the violin guitars had pernambuco necks.

The "Chaltecoco Pernambuco" references came some time later have a number of other PRS guitars with pernambuco necks had been made.

I would check with PRS customer service though.

Yeah as veinbuster suggested, for stuff like this it's usually best to email PRS customer service with your serial number and ask them for confirmation if you want anything official. :)

Thank you for the info about the different categorys.

I´ve decided to keep the violin.
But it is the only electric guitar I have left now, so I´m gonna have to play the hell out of it.
When Paul finally does come back to Germany for a meet and greet, I´ll bring it - hope he doesn´t cringe when he sees the play marks.
And no PTC around for a touch up and some RnR either.

Thank you very much for the info. I don´t know if I would have it refinished though, as the dings will eventually come back anyway. And shipping it insured from Europe to the US and back will be not the cheapest thing to do.

I think I can live with a little bit of honest playwear.

But it is the only electric guitar I have left now, so I´m gonna have to play the hell out of it.
When Paul finally does come back to Germany for a meet and greet, I´ll bring it - hope he doesn´t cringe when he sees the play marks.

On the contrary, Paul will grin from ear to ear when he sees the play wear.

Did you receive a definitely answer from PRS regarding if the violin's neck is really pernambuco?

Back