Pentacost festival

Thanks, it was a great experience.

I am part of one of the bigger congregations in the Netherlands and we write and produce our own music. I am actually the only true 'weekend warrior' in this band. The rest are at least parttime professionals.

Last edited:
Wonderful stuff! Thank you for sharing it. Amazing how your spirit catches the anointing in spite of the language difference. FANTASTIC!!
Last time I tried, the link didn't open. This time, it worked, but... no hablo...

That's what this world needs more of! Things that are good and positive.

Sounds like everyone put a lot of work into this one. Lots of talent up there.

I'd be curious to see how the musical director goes about his or her job on something like this.

Yes it does!

And I might be able to give an idea about the director. he creates a setlist with the lead singer and prepares click tracks, sound tracks with guides. And through the set he starts the tracks and talks us through it through the MD. It is the guy on the keys by the way.

For the guitars most of the work is to learn the guitar parts or to find them in the dense mixes of the original tracks.

Yes it does!

And I might be able to give an idea about the director. he creates a setlist with the lead singer and prepares click tracks, sound tracks with guides. And through the set he starts the tracks and talks us through it through the MD. It is the guy on the keys by the way.

For the guitars most of the work is to learn the guitar parts or to find them in the dense mixes of the original tracks.
Thank you for the info.

I was asking because while we have some good players at church, I believe there are times where we need to sit down with each other to be sure things are meshing properly. Chords, space, tightening certain things up, etc. It's just that sometimes I'll hear another group online playing the same songs we do and I am blown away with how tight they are. Makes me think that some musical directors aren't afraid of saying "no, that's wrong" or even "that was pretty lame. Do it again."

It's not a disaster by any means and for the most part it works. But again..........sometimes.

Trust me, I am VERY hard on myself. I record everything I do so I can hear what's wrong or what's lame on my part.

Thank you for the info.

I was asking because while we have some good players at church, I believe there are times where we need to sit down with each other to be sure things are meshing properly. Chords, space, tightening certain things up, etc. It's just that sometimes I'll hear another group online playing the same songs we do and I am blown away with how tight they are. Makes me think that some musical directors aren't afraid of saying "no, that's wrong" or even "that was pretty lame. Do it again."

It's not a disaster by any means and for the most part it works. But again..........sometimes.

Trust me, I am VERY hard on myself. I record everything I do so I can hear what's wrong or what's lame on my part.
I think a lot of that takes time and familiarity with the players. Do you guys get together and practice your service set ahead of time? I know some churches are big and rotate bands and other small churches are practically begging for anybody to wield a tambourine so I get it. :)

Thank you for the info.

I can tell you a click track helps a lot with playing tight :p . And all except this guy are professionals with extensive training and a lot of large productions under the belt.

As far as preparation: we practiced only once, however songs were mostly well known and we are really well prepared before practice. That is key and there is a lot interaction within the band before practice. I sat down a whole night with the other guitar player, going through all the songs, the different parts, sounds etc. In the end is a matter of finding your place in the dense mix and living the less is more mantra. Many of the guitar parts consist of single notes runs and are not really rocket science from a player's point of view.

I think a lot of that takes time and familiarity with the players. Do you guys get together and practice your service set ahead of time? I know some churches are big and rotate bands and other small churches are practically begging for anybody to wield a tambourine so I get it. :)
Well we do practice together on Thursday before service, and most of our bands in church are teams that play in the same formation once a month. We have 5 at the moment. This particular band is a sort of 'all star' (by lack of a better word) band that does the services on these kind of festivals and I am a stand in for that band. Our church has a luxury problem of attracting a lot of musicians, and not having to accept all applicants...

We do practice on Wednesday evenings. A lot of how well practice goes depends greatly on how soon the songs are up on Planning Center. Generally speaking, they are up a full two weeks before practice night. There are rare occasions where the songs aren't up until the Monday before practice. That irks me because just about everybody on the teams is working full time and they have families. So because they have other responsibilities some can come in pretty unprepared on Wednesday. I never say anything because even though I'm now retired there was a time where I was working 12 hours a night. So it served me greatly when the songs were up well in advance.

We don't have set teams but we've always had "leaders" for a particular week. But years ago we did have a few "problem children" in that no matter how soon the songs were put up, they never came prepared. As a result, one leader absolutely refused to work with a particular guitar player because the guy never came prepared. Can't say I blame him.

We're a smaller church and didn't get going until 2011. But things are growing and fast . About 2 years ago they purchased an old movie theater that's in a prime location at a fairly busy intersection. But we've always had a problem attracting newer players. Within the last 2 years we've slowly gained a new drummer, a new bass player who can also double on rhythm guitar and another bass player who can double on drums. But 9 months ago we got a new music director and he is wonderful! Great voice and a great guitar player who has really inspired me.

So while there's a few newer players the "main core' including myself is about 7 of us. But I'm not sure how much longer I'll be doing this. I'm 69 and can't deny the fact I'm starting to slow down in some respects. Seems to be taking me longer to do certain jobs due to some aches and pains. Didn't retire until I was 67 then this, that and the other thing happened which put a damper on getting things started and done in my house. I keep hinting to them that they have to put in an all out effort in finding some newer players. I told them "you know, the older guys like me aren't going to be around forever."

Back