Pedals that never leave your board?

I have a few I've been using for several years. With pedals, everything's down to individual needs, so I'm not saying any of this stuff would work for anyone else, it simply works for me:

Suhr Buffer, because it's small, transparent and is able to drive long pedal chains and cable runs. It has a second isolated output so I can run wet/dry or wet/dry/wet without ground loop noise; or I can run a direct out to my recording gear along with my miked-up amps. It also has a phase switch.

Eventide H9 Max. Sounds great for digital gear, has ten zillion useful algorithms, and has an IOS app and/or computer that works simply and wirelessly for editing and setting all parameters in seconds - no bending over the pedal for menu diving, no need to dig up a cable to attach to computer or device. Very powerful. Also has the classic H3000 algorithms I used for many years with rackmount gear. The ducked delay alone is worth the price of admission.

Lehle 1 at 3 amp switcher. No noise, no switch pops, no ground loops, can select between one amp or more than one amp at a time, and is all kinds of programmable.

Fulltone OCD. Good with all of my amps. One of those things lots of people depend on.

Xotic BB, because it meshes very, very well with my PRS DG30 amp. It's the only pedal I've found that makes the DG sound even more DG.

Suhr Koji Compressor for its very transparent compression and a switchable EQ. Compressors are just plain great for clean tones, and this is a good one. The Suhr folks also use soft-click switches that don't make noise.

The Suhr Kokoboost adds a nice sparkle, fattens the signal a bit, and has a switchable mid boost with variable frequency emphasis to push the mids for solos where you need them for your amps. I like clean boost instead of overdrive with the HXDA when I want a bit extra.

Suhr Jackrabbit tremolo is analog, with tap tempo, not noisy, great sound.

Fulltone Tube Tape Echo. No digital tape echo emulation really has "the sound." This one was designed with input from Mike Battle, the guy who invented the Echoplex, and is so authentic that the tape cartridges also work with the early '60s machines.

My Strymon Flint & Timeline, and Boss TU-2 are my main-stays.

Fulltone Tube Tape Echo. No digital tape echo emulation really has "the sound." This one was designed with input from Mike Battle, the guy who invented the Echoplex, and is so authentic that the tape cartridges also work with the early '60s machines.

Have you tried the El Capistan? It is missing the pre-amp where some of the magic comes from, but it's the most convincing one that I have played. Plus, it doesn't have Mr. Fuller's name on it...

My Planet Waves strobe tuner, MXR ZW OD-44 overdrive, Morpheus Bomber (previously a Digitech Whammy mk IV), Dunlop CryBaby Mini and lastly, ISP Decimator noise gate. In the FX loop, MXR Carbon Copy and Micro Flanger.

Have you tried the El Capistan? It is missing the pre-amp where some of the magic comes from, but it's the most convincing one that I have played. Plus, it doesn't have Mr. Fuller's name on it...

Yes, it's nice, and it's close for a digital emulation, but it does not sound like the real deal. Even if you put an EP booster in front. The richness and saturation of the original is missing and you can hear it.

I get along well with Mike Fuller. No problem for me having his name on stuff. Mike was one of the earliest guys to understand what made the vintage stuff tick, and to be able to make new stuff that sounded every bit as good, if not better.

I'll give you an example: the Fulltone Clyde wah. Putting the question of authenticity of tone aside for the moment, the thing has loads of improvements over traditional wahs, including the steel case that helps the wah reject noise from things like wall-warts and certain power supplies, where most wahs suffer from induced noise. I had horrible wah noise problems in the studio - I do music for a living - until I switched to Fulltone wahs, and that includes everything from vintage Vox to Teese to others.

When you click on a Fulltone pedal, there isn't the usual pop that some true bypass pedals from highly touted builders make. Etc. We're talking basic attention to detail, to the little things that most builders don't seem to know/care much about.

Those are only a couple of examples. There are more, but the point is that Mike gets it. That's why his products are very good. I pretty much understand where he's coming from.

Who but Fulltone bothered to re-create the Echoplex with the same tape path and details as the original, only with upgraded motors, so it's more reliable? And to contact the original designer/inventor of the Echoplex and work with him to make sure it's authentic? No one else has bothered. So props to him.

Last edited:
Yes, it's nice, and it's close for a digital emulation, but it does not sound like the real deal. Even if you put an EP booster in front. The richness and saturation of the original is missing and you can hear it.

I get along well with Mike Fuller. No problem for me having his name on stuff. Mike was one of the earliest guys to understand what made the vintage stuff tick, and to be able to make new stuff that sounded every bit as good, if not better.

I'll give you an example: the Fulltone Clyde wah. Putting the question of authenticity of tone aside for the moment, the thing has loads of improvements over traditional wahs, including the steel case that helps the wah reject noise from things like wall-warts and certain power supplies, where most wahs suffer from induced noise. I had horrible wah noise problems in the studio - I do music for a living - until I switched to Fulltone wahs, and that includes everything from vintage Vox to Teese to others.

When you click on a Fulltone pedal, there isn't the usual pop that some true bypass pedals from highly touted builders make. Etc. We're talking basic attention to detail, to the little things that most builders don't seem to know/care much about.

Those are only a couple of examples. There are more, but the point is that Mike gets it. That's why his products are very good. I pretty much understand where he's coming from.

Who but Fulltone bothered to re-create the Echoplex with the same tape path and details as the original, only with upgraded motors, so it's more reliable? And to contact the original designer/inventor of the Echoplex and work with him to make sure it's authentic? No one else has bothered. So props to him.

Yeah, there is always something "lost" going from analog to digital still. I do love a good Echoplex though and have got to A/B the El Cap and Fulltone, no doubt it's not spot-on but it's the closest thing I think. I feel like that's probably your best bet if you wanted something that was very close without the maintenance aspect and some more creature features (in an actual pedal). No offense intended about him, but I've had some experiences in my day (as much as I actually do like his pedals... My fav is probably the Choral/Flange).

My latest crop of mainstays are all TC Electronic pedals: Polytune Mini, Spark Mini, and Flashback x4. Tuner and boost are functional must-haves for me; these are both small and effective. The x4 is a few pedals in one for me. I have two different delay sounds and I use the third preset as a chorus. I occasionally use the looper for practicing.

The only pedal that truly never leaves my board is my TC Electronics Polytune 2. I have been mostly practicing without pedals lately, experimenting with getting different tones and attacks from the guitar knobs, pick angle, stuff like that. Just trying to clean up my slop in general.

I sure do love my Catalinbread Katzenkonig fuzz/distortion box, 9v hiss and all, though, and I'm still very fond of my Way Huge Saucy Box overdrive (kind of a more transparent Klon-clone) and Echo Puss analog delay (kinda Memory-Man-ish with the darker undertone echoes but with more range of delay).

I am currently gassing for a Fulltone Deja Vibe Univibe clone, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe EP3/Memory Man clone for some wet delay and stacked delay fun, a decent expression pedal, and a Catalinbread Naga Viper treble boost. Since I'm a bit of a cheapskate, I'm probably going to wait the BED out until some used units are price warring on Reverb. I kinda want to try a ring modulator down the road, too.

I've heard the Deja Vibe 2 sounds better than the 3, any truth to that? Anybody try the Moogerfooger ring modulator or have another one to recommend?

The only pedal that truly never leaves my board is my TC Electronics Polytune 2. I have been mostly practicing without pedals lately, experimenting with getting different tones and attacks from the guitar knobs, pick angle, stuff like that. Just trying to clean up my slop in general.

I sure do love my Catalinbread Katzenkonig fuzz/distortion box, 9v hiss and all, though, and I'm still very fond of my Way Huge Saucy Box overdrive (kind of a more transparent Klon-clone) and Echo Puss analog delay (kinda Memory-Man-ish with the darker undertone echoes but with more range of delay).

I am currently gassing for a Fulltone Deja Vibe Univibe clone, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe EP3/Memory Man clone for some wet delay and stacked delay fun, a decent expression pedal, and a Catalinbread Naga Viper treble boost. Since I'm a bit of a cheapskate, I'm probably going to wait the BED out until some used units are price warring on Reverb. I kinda want to try a ring modulator down the road, too.

I've heard the Deja Vibe 2 sounds better than the 3, any truth to that? Anybody try the Moogerfooger ring modulator or have another one to recommend?

If you're looking for a cool vibe, check this one out. I dig it.

http://drybell.com/vibe-machine-v-2/

Watch the Thorn review.

http://www.bestguitareffects.com/drybell-vibe-machine-v-2-review-best-uni-vibe-pedal/

and Burgs playing only

Yeah, there is always something "lost" going from analog to digital still. I do love a good Echoplex though and have got to A/B the El Cap and Fulltone, no doubt it's not spot-on but it's the closest thing I think. I feel like that's probably your best bet if you wanted something that was very close without the maintenance aspect and some more creature features (in an actual pedal). No offense intended about him, but I've had some experiences in my day (as much as I actually do like his pedals... My fav is probably the Choral/Flange).

I dig the Choralflange, too. Had one for a long time, and of course they're not made any longer. But for as much as I use chorus, the H9 does OK.

Back in the early 70s (yes, I know, I'm getting a bit long in the tooth) one of my band mates had one of the early Echoplexes, and I've never been able to get that sound out of my head. Honestly, if you've ever maintained a cassette deck, maintaining a tape echo is just as easy.

Clean the tape path maybe once a month (if that) with a cotton swab and some head cleaner, change the tape cassette when it starts to sound worn, demagnetize every so often, and that's about it. If you need to change a tube (I haven't) or make an adjustment to how easily the head assembly moves, the machinery lifts out of the shell in two minutes, and everything's very uncomplicated underneath. Easy as changing strings.

I have two: a Korg Pitchblack Tuner and a Carl Martin Octaswitch MKII. My pedals change w/ projects and tastes, but I always need to be in tune and avoid the "Pedal Dance" whenever possible.

Really love my BB Preamp and my Boss Delay (DM-2w).

16465425_628954657300680_6018875350803546112_n.jpg

15624345_1299773523430023_4329999042131001344_n.jpg

Back