Pedalboards, show me what u got

You guys all have such clean tidy boards!! Makes me think my shoes and the places I play must be extra dirty or something?

20220517-224735-resized.jpg

Let me also take this moment to extol the awesomeness that is two stacked Zendrives. Since I've been running these (a long time now) I've never even wanted anything else. The last is set for just a bit of boost and hair, and the first is set with lots of drive. Setting both EQ's to the same spot makes for a wonderful resonance feedback on sustained notes when both are on, and it's just soooo creamy.
Nice board!

They do make attachments for vacuum cleaners that will get in those spaces and clean that board right up! ;)

On a personal note, I should add that I'm extra-obsessive-compulsive, but my board mostly stays in my hermetically sealed studio. That's in a bubble. And I wear a hazmat suit inside the bubble, to prevent contamination of the gear.

Never mind that all this effort basically requires a hit of acid to make the whole business fun...

[just kidding about the hit of acid]

"But you wish you weren't kidding."

"I'm too old for acid."

Nice board!

They do make attachments for vacuum cleaners that will get in those spaces and clean that board right up! ;)

On a personal note, I should add that I'm extra-obsessive-compulsive, but my board mostly stays in my hermetically sealed studio. That's in a bubble. And I wear a hazmat suit inside the bubble, to prevent contamination of the gear.

Never mind that all this effort basically requires a hit of acid to make the whole business fun...

[just kidding about the hit of acid]

"But you wish you weren't kidding."

"I'm too old for acid."
“in the clean room, with no curtains”

I have 3 pedalboards. The first one is set up for Van Halen tunes. I know it’s advantageous to run most of the effects through the effects loop, but since I switch off between a Super Lead and a 5150, I don’t use the 4-cable method. I just run it straight to the input of the amp, because Super Leads don’t have a loop. Most of the pedals are pretty much self-explanatory, but I use the Luxe for Ed‘s 90s detuned tones. I‘ve thought of replacing it with an Eventide Mictopitch, but it’s 3 times the price of the Luxe. I’ve also entertained the thought of replacing the Carbon Copy for a MXR Echoplex Delay, but the CC seems to be ok for what I want. Lastly, EVH‘s early reverb sound was the reverb chamber at Sunset Sound. I haven’t found any reverb pedal that recreates that, so the Hardwire will be fine until one comes on the market. I haven‘t played in public for YEARS, so it suits my purposes just fine.

mb8YH8r.jpg

My 2nd board started out as an SRV board to run straight into my Super Reverb, but I found that simply didn’t use a fuzz, Univibe or rotary, so I just added various drives…the Lovepedal Super Six (Stevie Mod) is pretty much an “always on” pedal that really nails Stevie’s cranked tone, but at manageable volume. I pretty much use the Tube Screamer like Stevie did, as a somewhat clean boost. I added the KoT and the Rat because they both work really well with single coils. I added the Dimension C because the Waza Craft version has a SDD-320 mode, which Stevie used on a lot of his studio work. It’s kind of a really subtle chorus, which really fills out the sound, when used with a little touch of the Super’s reverb.

Im6ACIt.jpg

My 3rd board is a trainwreck. It has pretty much everything else, but it looks like spaghetti. I also have a Lizard Leg Flying Dragon clean boost and a Cusack Screamer Fuzz that will go on it, and I’m using the King of Tone and Carbon Copy on my other boards. I’m also considering replacing the Sonic Research tuner with a Poytune because that one has a built-in Bonafide buffer. Then I’ll just use the Sonic Research for setups. It’s going take some time to get the pedal order right, and tackle that mess of wires.

pRIp9Lx.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 pedalboards. The first one is set up for Van Halen tunes. I know it’s advantageous to run most of the effects through the effects loop, but since I switch off between a Super Lead and a 5150, I don’t use the 4-cable method. I just run it straight to the input of the amp, because Super Leads don’t have a loop. Most of the pedals are pretty much self-explanatory, but I use the Luxe for Ed‘s 90s detuned tones. I‘ve thought of replacing it with an Eventide Mictopitch, but it’s 3 times the price of the Luxe. I’ve also entertained the thought of replacing the Carbon Copy for a MXR Echoplex Delay, but the CC seems to be ok for what I want. Lastly, EVH‘s early reverb sound was the reverb chamber at Sunset Sound. I haven’t found any reverb pedal that recreates that, so the Hardwire will be fine until one comes on the market. I haven‘t played in public for YEARS, so it suits my purposes just fine.

mb8YH8r.jpg

My 2nd board started out as an SRV board to run straight into my Super Reverb, but I found that simply didn’t use a fuzz, Univibe or rotary, so I just added various drives…the Lovepedal Super Six (Stevie Mod) is pretty much an “always on” pedal that really nails Stevie’s cranked tone, but at manageable volume. I pretty much use the Tube Screamer like Stevie did, as a somewhat clean boost. I added the KoT and the Rat because they both work really well with single coils. I added the Dimension C because the Waza Craft version has a SDD-320 mode, which Stevie used on a lot of his studio work. It’s kind of a really subtle chorus, which really fills out the sound, when used with a little touch of the Super’s reverb.

Im6ACIt.jpg

My 3rd board is a trainwreck. It has pretty much everything else, but it looks like spaghetti. I also have a Lizard Leg Flying Dragon clean boost and a Cusack Screamer Fuzz that will go on it, and I’m using the King of Tone and Carbon Copy on my other boards. I’m also considering replacing the Sonic Research tuner with a Poytune because that one has a built-in Bonafide buffer. Then I’ll just use the Sonic Research for setups. It’s going take some time to get the pedal order right, and tackle that mess of wires.

pRIp9Lx.jpg
I think it's pretty interesting that you have various boards to achieve the tone families you want! Nice gear, too.

I kind of went in the opposite direction; one larger board with more stuff on it, but now both the lower and upper shelves are filled up. It's a Schmidt Array, so I could put some 'set and forget' pedals underneath the upper shelf that flips upward, if I went to something like the Gig Rig power supply system (right now I have a pedal power mondo that takes up a lot of space), and could squeeze a couple more pedals in, but then there's also the weight factor.

So I might add a smaller Schmidt board for additional pedals, and run them in series (the first inputs in my pedal chains are buffers, so signal loss would be minimal, and I have a Lehle switch pedal that could be used to select whether one or both of them would be in the signal path). Might be easier to handle two lighter boards than one very heavy board. They're awfully expensive boards, but SO nice to work with!

I just reworked and set up a new board last week. For the past 10 years I have been running a Line 6 M13 for effects, but I wanted to simplify things and go back to single pedals. Nothing fancy here but it gets the job done for my cover band. Top row is in the loop of my amp and bottom row goes to the front.

F1825515-E076-4DED-A19F-84A92220D6EA by jdkornel, on Flickr

I just reworked and set up a new board last week. For the past 10 years I have been running a Line 6 M13 for effects, but I wanted to simplify things and go back to single pedals. Nothing fancy here but it gets the job done for my cover band. Top row is in the loop of my amp and bottom row goes to the front.

F1825515-E076-4DED-A19F-84A92220D6EA by jdkornel, on Flickr
Classic!

Back