Pedalboards, show me what u got

nVEg1Ss.jpg

Just recently added the Slo, and now the board is done for a long time. I like every pedal, I use all of them regularly, and I get every tone I want from this setup, though my amp and guitar play big roles in that.

The only pedal-related purchases I'm considering now are a univibe instead of a phaser, and getting something so I can go direct. The problem with going direct is then I need a distortion pedal to replace my Archon's lead channel, and that's a BIG ask.

I need to clean the board up a lot. This summer I will probably make all new cables and clean up the power routing on the bottom.
Nice setup!

You could use something like Lehle's P-Split series to go both into your amp with one output, and to use direct into a recording rig, PA or modeler. The P-splits are absolutely noiseless, have a grounding switch for the second output if needed, don't suck tone, are passively powered, and have no controls, so it could be attached to the underside of your board. I have one and use it for several studio-related tasks.

However, my preference going direct is to use my amp with a load box. I have an amp and cab switch box that allows me to select the load box as an output instead of one of the cabs, so I can switch any amp into the load box with one flick of a toggle switch or via MIDI. I use Mesa's original load box with a speaker impulse response, and it works well for those times I need it. However, I mic up a cab for anything serious, like recording for an ad project.

Last edited:
Nice setup!

You could use something like Lehle's P-Split series to go both into your amp with one output, and to use direct into a recording rig, PA or modeler. The P-splits are absolutely noiseless, have a grounding switch for the second output if needed, don't suck tone, are passively powered, and have no controls, so it could be attached to the underside of your board. I have one and use it for several studio-related tasks.

However, my preference going direct is to use my amp with a load box. I have an amp and cab switch box that allows me to select the load box as an output instead of one of the cabs, so I can switch any amp into the load box with one flick of a toggle switch or via MIDI. I use Mesa's original load box with a speaker impulse response, and it works well for those times I need it. However, I mic up a cab for anything serious, like recording for an ad project.
I guess what I meant was a way to go ampless to the PA and have it sound acceptable.

I'm, uh, not on the same level as you. At my local open mic night the sound person sets the amp on stage to apartment practice levels, but the vocals through the PA at gig levels. The mix on stage is great with the amp behind me and the vocal monitor, but past the stage all anyone can hear is vocals.

He doesn't have this problem with acoustic guitar volume. Actually, sometimes the acoustic is too loud and it's painful.

Having a way to go direct to the PA without an amp would hopefully fix the balance issues.

Alternatively, I'm tempted to graduate from open mic nights and start gigging for real instead. I'm not sure how to make that leap, but that's a problem for me to figure out in the fall.

I guess what I meant was a way to go ampless to the PA and have it sound acceptable.

I'm, uh, not on the same level as you. At my local open mic night the sound person sets the amp on stage to apartment practice levels, but the vocals through the PA at gig levels. The mix on stage is great with the amp behind me and the vocal monitor, but past the stage all anyone can hear is vocals.

He doesn't have this problem with acoustic guitar volume. Actually, sometimes the acoustic is too loud and it's painful.

Having a way to go direct to the PA without an amp would hopefully fix the balance issues.

Alternatively, I'm tempted to graduate from open mic nights and start gigging for real instead. I'm not sure how to make that leap, but that's a problem for me to figure out in the fall.
I bet you're on the same level as me, if not a higher level! I'm principally a keyboard player, for a reason!

It's my strong belief that going direct without an amp requires some sort of load box, or a modeler at the other end before the PA. Recording or using a PA to amplify a guitar and pedal usually doesn't work, though there are plenty of modeling pedals out there to choose from.

Unless you're recording songs by Chic. ;)

It's my strong belief that going direct without an amp requires some sort of load box, or a modeler at the other end before the PA. Recording or using a PA to amplify a guitar and pedal usually doesn't work, though there are plenty of modeling pedals out there to choose from.

Unless you're recording songs by Chic. ;)
Yeah. The challenge is finding an amp simulator or modeler I can put up with at a price I'm willing to pay. A lot of modelers are geared towards 'look at how many sounds I can make', whereas I really only want 1 good clean tone and 1 good high gain tone. Emphasis on good.

I also don't like the idea of spending a lot of money on something I will only use every once in awhile. It just doesn't make much sense, you know?

Yeah. The challenge is finding an amp simulator or modeler I can put up with at a price I'm willing to pay. A lot of modelers are geared towards 'look at how many sounds I can make', whereas I really only want 1 good clean tone and 1 good high gain tone. Emphasis on good.

I also don't like the idea of spending a lot of money on something I will only use every once in awhile. It just doesn't make much sense, you know?
I'm a 'put a mic in front of the speaker cab and record' kinda guy. Everything else is a compromise I'm not willing to make, and honestly, miking up an amp is so simple that it's not worth fussing with modelers and extra gear unless I have an emergency writing session late at night and don't want to piss off the immediate world.

Even then, I'll mic up an amp for a real session the next day and redo the track. Because why not put one's best foot forward?

You guys all have such clean tidy boards!! Makes me think my shoes and the places I play must be extra dirty or something?

20220517-224735-resized.jpg

Let me also take this moment to extol the awesomeness that is two stacked Zendrives. Since I've been running these (a long time now) I've never even wanted anything else. The last is set for just a bit of boost and hair, and the first is set with lots of drive. Setting both EQ's to the same spot makes for a wonderful resonance feedback on sustained notes when both are on, and it's just soooo creamy.

Last edited:
Back