Pedalboard Evolution

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
Here's a different approach. You know where you are today (that's why we take the good meds, right?) but how did you get here? Compare your pedalboards of today to those of the past. Explain what prompted the changes.

Here's an animated GIF of my pedalboard starting today and working backward in time to 2011.
pedalboard_evolution50.gif

Well, let's just say I more or less started here.
29179892675_5ebda8357d_c.jpg

Then, evolution brought me here (sorry for the filth, my basement gets very dusty).
28549000104_eda227c74b_c.jpg

What brought me here was my added need for versatility in styles. I generally play a very broad array of styles in both of my bands, and I've just kept adding more and more. Though as a result of carrying the lower monstrosity around, I've grown quite tired of it, and thus, I do plan on downsizing.

1. Obviously, they're set out of phaser.
2. One phaser is set to stun, one to kill, one to disintegrate.
3. They're on modulating frequencies b/c Borg shields adapt.

This, pretty much, lol. They're all set differently for different sounds, and sometimes I like to combine them for ultimate chaos.

My first pedals were a Vox wah and a Maestro fuzz, back in 1967. There wasn't a board, they sat on the floor. Between then and now, I've sure built a crapload of pedalboards! I wish I could list all the changes over the years, but I got fairly serious about having them on a pedalboard about 15 years ago. I didn't take any pics, though, but I remember that I had an Axess buffer, Teese wah, Fulldrive II, Fulltone Univibe (the big gold one) and the giant green Line 6 delay modeler on the board, along with some stuff I have forgotten.

Here's where I am today:

Geez. I started with an early Zoom multi fx unit. It was early in Zoom's history, and early in digital multi fx in general, so... it was bad. Then I started getting into individual pedals, and eventually built a ludicrous size board. I'm down to something more manageable now. Still has a lot of pedals, but crammed into a more reasonable footprint.

I started with rack gear... my entire quest was to lighten my load while retaining similar functionality.

From here:

to here:

And twenty or so years in-between.

I started with a Boss Metal Zone...no other effects needed to play 4 chord punk in high school. Then I had a Zoom 505, then a Line6 XT Live, then a Line6M13 (still have that one), now to be quasi lazy since I don't really play too many gigs outside of a church service here and there I use an Apogee Gio with my MBP & Amplitube or Guitar Rig5.

Sorry no pics :(

2005 (oldest photo I still have)
DSC00420.jpg

also from 2005
DSC00558.jpg

2.jpg

Can't remember the date on this one...
DSC00496.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Jan 2008 - the Fulltone phase begins...
IMG_1480.jpg

Jan 2009
IMG_1451.jpg

Feb 2009
IMG_1621.jpg

2011?
file.jpg

Tried to make this work for awhile...
IMG_0478.jpg

Got tired of the G-System... just wanted an easy to use delay, or two.
image_1.jpg

Apr 2015 (was experimenting with a Soul Food. Cool pedal, not really my bag)
IMG_0629.jpg

I'm sure that everyone who's used a pedalboard has had one one of these days...
Photo%202015-12-18%202%2017%2033%20PM%20copy.jpg

Recently
image.jpeg

Last week.
Snapseed.jpg

Last edited:
Cool thread! Man, there have been so many iterations, starting with my Vox wah, DOD compressor and Boss Turbo Overdrive on a piece of plywood around 1995. I didn't get as crazy as some, but built up to 8 effects plus tuner a year or so ago.

I finally downsized a couple weeks ago. I have all my essentials covered (one of the Flashback presets is chorus), plus I rarely used the Rotovibe and the Vox. Looking forward to this smaller and lighter board for gigs. My 9-year-old decorated it for me.

Last summer:

Few years ago:

The Vox, Rotovibe and AD-99 come and go over the years. Still have all three.
Used a Vintage Rat and/or AC Booster to suit my moods. Both gone.

This was 4-ish years ago - a BIG @$$ pedal board with lots of wasted space (and a real pain to move around):
8081071955_0ec5b50d7a_c.jpg

And, now, smaller board, which I had every intention of putting fewer pedals on. Somehow I managed to get just as much on there, and the signal chain is just as convoluted. But, it sounds good, and works perfectly for my needs.
23867277872_91222a2657_c.jpg

The pedals, IMO, have gotten a lot better too, which is fun :)

A few years ago, I got tired of building pedalboards. I decided that the pedals weren't to blame for me sounding bad!! :)
I got a TC Nova System and used it to run at the front of the 2 amps I had, fairly clean / edge of break up.
The Keeley DS1 was the only pedal I couldn't get rid of, although I don't really need it. :)

19122010134.jpg

Since the photo, the Marshall is gone and I now only run the NS at the front of the Laney LC15 in the 2x12'' cab

Back