Pearl Jam or Soundgarden? Go!

Soundgarden hands down. I remember when Pearl Jam's "Ten" came out. Decent album....and the girls liked it.....but in retrospect it wasn't that good. A watered down version of Nirvana for the masses. BadMotorFinger and Superunknown were pwerful albums that had a lot of drive. They weren't as slick and over produced as "Ten", but by far better. PJ went downhill after "Ten" as well.

Well, the question was asked. If you like neither (such as, if topic was changed to Pearl Jam or Nirvana) then should we not answer? Because I still like one better than the other. Actually, dislike one less than the other, is more accurate. :)
Answering with a simple neither or I dislike this less than, fine. Repeatedly stating negative things is rude. There’s a reason I don’t bother hanging out in the Winger threads. No interest. If I did go in, I’d probably state that dude can still sing pretty damn good after all these years- even if I don’t care for what he does.

Another tough one for me...Cornell was raw and his powerful vocals moved me in a more aggressive way. Vetter was more of a deep, tortured soul that purged his pain or frustrations more openly in some way I suppose. The song that just a couple of days ago and everytime I've heard it is Release from 10. The backstory and especially the lyrics take the win
..for me.

Answering with a simple neither or I dislike this less than, fine. Repeatedly stating negative things is rude. There’s a reason I don’t bother hanging out in the Winger threads. No interest. If I did go in, I’d probably state that dude can still sing pretty damn good after all these years- even if I don’t care for what he does.

The Winger threads are actually pretty cordial. I legitimately like the first album, although I've admittedly fallen out of touch w/Kip's stuff.

So, let's over-analyze.

There's an argument in favor of Soundgarden because of Chris Cornell's voice. However, if you were to pit Soundgarden against Audioslave, I'd wager Soundgarden would win handily. Same with Pearl jam vs. Audioslave. So, if Pearl Jam as a band can best Chris' voice w/out the backup of Soundgarden, then Soundgarden can't be judged as better than Pearl Jam just on the merits of Cornell's voice. Advantage: Pearl Jam. Follow?

Now let's consider Pearl Jam's body of work compared to Soundgarden. A larger catalog with more hits over more albums. Advantage: Pearl Jam.

The argument could also be made that Vedder was a better front-man, that Pearl Jam had catchier guitar hooks, and that they put on a better live show. Advantage: Pearl Jam.

So, who's better? Well, Soundgarden, obviously. Because.
I'm gonna under analyze. I liked Pearl Jam's first two albums more than anything Soundgarden ever did. So up until about 1994, Pearl Jam. And I liked Superunknown more than anything Pearl Jam did after Vs. So from 1994 on, Soundgarden. Neither are among my favorite bands of all time, but I liked 'em both. And despite not being asked, Nevermind will almost be my personal favorite grunge album of all time. I mean, there were lots of people there for the Seattle scene. But the Aberdeen and Olympia scene, that was a little more exclusive. Basically Nirvana and Sleater-Kinney. I lived in Olympia for several years and always took a certain pride in those bands. And, besides Nirvana, what did Aberdeen and Olympia have in common? The Spar, a chain restaurant of two. Best chocolate shake in the Northwest...

I remember when Pearl Jam's "Ten" came out. Decent album....and the girls liked it.....but in retrospect it wasn't that good. A watered down version of Nirvana for the masses.

When you say that, I'm finding it hard to believe you have listened to the entire Ten album. Ten is probably one of the best albums of all time. Ten was an album of great musicianship, complex harmonies and layering, great arrangements, etc. Nirvana was simpleton caveman rock that rebellious simple minded teenagers could relate to. It was Nirvana that was the watered down music. I think people listen to songs like Jeremy and dismiss Pearl Jam for being just radio friendly pop rock, but the true gems of that album are the ones that are later on in the order.... songs like Porch, Garden, Black, etc.

As for the Pearl Jam versus Soundgarden discussion, Pearl Jam has the better single album by far but those 3 Soundgarden albums from Badmotorfinger through Down on the Upside trample over Pearl Jams complete body of work. Pearl Jam kinda shot all their bullets with the first album and subsequently tapered off, but Soundgarden improved with each album up until Down on the Upside which is brilliant. So, my vote is Soundgarden.

When you say that, I'm finding it hard to believe you have listened to the entire Ten album. Ten is probably one of the best albums of all time. Ten was an album of great musicianship, complex harmonies and layering, great arrangements, etc. Nirvana was simpleton caveman rock that rebellious simple minded teenagers could relate to. It was Nirvana that was the watered down music. I think people listen to songs like Jeremy and dismiss Pearl Jam for being just radio friendly pop rock, but the true gems of that album are the ones that are later on in the order.... songs like Porch, Garden, Black, etc.

As for the Pearl Jam versus Soundgarden discussion, Pearl Jam has the better single album by far but those 3 Soundgarden albums from Badmotorfinger through Down on the Upside trample over Pearl Jams complete body of work. Pearl Jam kinda shot all their bullets with the first album and subsequently tapered off, but Soundgarden improved with each album up until Down on the Upside which is brilliant. So, my vote is Soundgarden.
I agree with you completely on all of the PJ vs SG stuff here, but disagree with you completely about Nirvana. I get not liking them - Cobain was a tortured soul who was really difficult to watch, although probably not near as hard as existing within that guy's head. But he had a knack for writing unbelievably good and catchy melodies and songs full of hooks and married them to some pretty intense head-bashing rock music. You think that's an easy trick, I urge you to try it. I think Cobain was a singular talent as a songwriter. Yeah, it was simple stuff, but so was Petty and Neil Young - most truly great songwriting is. So I respectfully disagree on that point. Probably pretty far off topic, but strongly felt...

Agree on much of this. The interesting thing about PJ and Ten is some of the band(Eddie in particular) felt the album was over produced and weren't happy with. At least that was the rumor, I don't recall whether it was publicly stated or whatever. Many fans like Ten the best. It's my favorite. As time went on, PJ stripped down their sound on the albums. Less layered and dense production for sure. I'd be curious to hear what Ten would sound like if it were exactly as they collectively wanted it. I'm guessing I'd like it less. I wonder how much it would've changed the impact of that album.

I agree with you completely on all of the PJ vs SG stuff here, but disagree with you completely about Nirvana. I get not liking them - Cobain was a tortured soul who was really difficult to watch, although probably not near as hard as existing within that guy's head. But he had a knack for writing unbelievably good and catchy melodies and songs full of hooks and married them to some pretty intense head-bashing rock music. You think that's an easy trick, I urge you to try it. I think Cobain was a singular talent as a songwriter. Yeah, it was simple stuff, but so was Petty and Neil Young - most truly great songwriting is. So I respectfully disagree on that point. Probably pretty far off topic, but strongly felt...

Who said I didn't like them???? :) I actually do like Nirvana and I respect Cobain as a songwriter. He was brilliant. To say they wrote simpleton music that was watered down wasn't insulting them, nor was anything to be read from it. It's just what they were. They weren't my fav but I've always had Nevermind and Unplugged in my collection. Their Unplugged performance of the Man Who Sold the World ranks very highly on my list of must listens.

Band Talent - Soundgarden
Songwriting - Soundgarden
Sales - Pearl Jam
Teenie Boppers & Female Fans - Pearl Jam
Geographical Area- Queensryche

The Winger threads are actually pretty cordial. I legitimately like the first album, although I've admittedly fallen out of touch w/Kip's stuff.

Not trying to stir the pot here, but where ARE these "Winger threads?" I think most of us have made many remarks about Winger, more to have fun, and of course there are serious comments because you can't laugh much at any band that has a former Dregs member and/or Reb in it. Well, you can laugh all you want, of course, but lets be real here. If you have Reb and Rod in your band, your band is badazz no matter what they wear, or how much hair they have!

But I haven't seen a "What's your favorite Winger song" or "Winger vs. White Lion" or "What's the hairiest picture you've ever seen of Kip Winger" thread? :D

Back