Paul's weekly "Guitar Talk"

Dang but this guitar turned out stunning! Thank you Shawn, this thread has been a blast for us lurkers, and an excellent education for anyone interested in Paul Reed Smith's build process.

Dang but this guitar turned out stunning! Thank you Shawn, this thread has been a blast for us lurkers, and an excellent education for anyone interested in Paul Reed Smith's build process.

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Paul has been out of town so we haven't done a session recently. Hopefully we should be back on track in a couple of weeks.

XxJe_f-maxage-0.gif

V5ebm_s-200x150.gif

tenor.gif

ezgif-resize.gif

Last edited:
This is such an amazing thread. Thanks very much Shawn.

Yet another reason why I love this company.

Lloyd/Goldtop

It's unbelievably cool that Paul takes the time and effort to put his personal stamp on so many of the things that make PRS Guitars so sought after. I have a piece of scrap wood personally signed by Paul from gear fest '17. I am sure he has many many things to accomplish every day. Yet he feels his customers rank very high on his list of to dos.

I´m not agree with Paul in the last video. The one with the finishes.
He says that nobody wants the guitar cracked... well, not cracked, but I want my guitars to age with me. I would like, in 20-30 years, to tell my gig/playing stories and my guitars to tell the same thing. A 30 year old guitar with a shiny look is weird for me. I don´t like the "beaten to death" look either, but some wear could look cool.

Just me? shawn, this shiny-forever is a Paul´s thing or is what the people ask for?

Basauri, I agree with you that a guitar should look well loved and played. I have to play mine everyday and my vintage Gibson SG looks it with dings, scratches and buckle rash. I think the point Paul was trying to make is that no one wants the finish on their guitar to be ruined by fine cracks in the finish that I am sure most of us have seen in many of the 60s-90s guitars.
Regards Lonnie

It's just a supreme type finish. Meaning it'll be more durable for the long term. i.e. Your great, great, grandson is gonna love playing your rig one day. Willie Nelson's Trigger might not have had that famous hole in it if it were treated with today's finish. Maybe it would. In any event don't rush the 30 years or the dings, they're a comin'.

Back