Paul's stoptail

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by vchizzle, Aug 4, 2015.

1. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

Most of us are aware of the brass inserts on this stoptail. I always thought one of the big point on the stoptail was that it was one piece? There's been a good deal of bridge talk lately, so it got me thinking(dangerous, I know). I get the idea of the brass here. Does it help? Does Paul go into any detail anywhere on this? I should've asked him last week. :mad: Would be a good question at one his upcoming dealer stops. I just kinda blew it off when I first saw it, now I'm curious.

Tonart likes this.
  2. WEDGE

WEDGE Zombie five, DFZ

I have one on my wood library McCarty. Not sure I can say if it is better. But this guitar is amazing. Very resonant and rings forever.

3. markintime

markintime Wood Grain Devotee

Since my Paul's has it, I will never contemplate changing. In fact, the only things I did change were the pup rings. Whew!

Aw heck, now I have to update my avatar....

ScottR, g.wizz and dogrocketp like this.
  4. ChrisCst22

ChrisCst22 New Member

When I met Paul at a meet and greet a few years ago, he touched briefly on the brass inserts which at the time was still fairly new. He said something about the string coming in contact with as much brass as possible would result in even less "subtraction" to the energy a player puts into the string. Hence the move years ago to the brass posts on tuners.

g.wizz likes this.
  5. vchizzle

Right. Makes sense as brass has long been a material used to transfer "energy" of a guitar string's oscillation. I'm just curious as to whether it's an improvement over a solid, one piece chunk of metal - that is the original intent of the stoptail. I realize there's not really a way to easily measure that. Maybe if you were to put 2 bridges on the same guitar, record how long the notes sustains with each bridge. Of course there's variables of how hard the string is hit, if the amp is running exactly as it did in the previous test, etc, etc.

ScottR and g.wizz like this.
  6. Jazzedout

Jazzedout More Guitars than Time...

Anyone tried machining a full brass stoptail?

7. BlackMoons

BlackMoons New Member

I believe my Modern Eagle 1 has one. Fabulous guitar.

8. ChrisCst22

ChrisCst22 New Member

I believe the reason PRS doesn't go for solid brass is because of the added weight, difficulty to machine, and cost of the material itself.

9. John Mann

John Mann olslowhand
    Authorized PRS Dealer

The reasons you stated are not correct.
    Brass is comparatively the same cost as aluminium, and is just as easy to machine.
    Brass sounds different that aluminium...

P90s, ScottR, g.wizz and 5 others like this.
  10. kbprs

kbprs New Member

It pretty much is one piece of metal -- the brass isn't an "insert" as much as "forged-in". The insert is right at the "saddle" edge, and is partially machined. There's no gap at all, and looks like molten brass is poured into a machined hole in the aluminum.

In other words, if your concern is that the inserts won't transfer as much energy as the solid aluminum bridges... have no fear.

11. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

I've never seen one but it's more than likely a brass insert pressed (slight interference fit) into the aluminium, then machined down. Aluminium has a much lower melting point than brass, so if you poured molten brass onto aluminium you'd end up with something resembling a shiny poo poo.

g.wizz, dogrocketp and dmatthews like this.
  12. kbprs

kbprs New Member

Lol. Good to know, thanks. :)

13. John Mann

John Mann olslowhand
    Authorized PRS Dealer

No... that is NOT correct.

The Brass pin is pressed into the Aluminium bridge and then finish machined. This is what is referred to in engineering terms as "press fit" meaning that the hole is sized just a tiny bit smaller than the brass pin which is pressed in. The end result is what you see... no gaps. This requires very precision machining to accomplish correctly.

FunkyFreeman, ScottR, g.wizz and 4 others like this.
  14. John Mann

John Mann olslowhand
    Authorized PRS Dealer

You are correct !

15. vchizzle

I do realize there's no gap of any kind. I've seen the close up pics. Just curious on the end result being that one of the big concepts of the original bridge was that it's one piece.
    Thanks John, great info!

16. tip

tip New Member

John, your new stop tail with adjustable saddles.... does it have more resonance than the stock CU22 stop tails? I sure like your strat trem I got from you a few years ago. Smooth play and sonics. The Mann design and machining.

17. John Mann

John Mann olslowhand
    Authorized PRS Dealer

I think it does. I think adding beefier un-plated brass saddles, screws and posts added something.

I will do an A-B test shortly on a few guitars and post them when we get them done. Probably have video/audio in a few weeks (too may other pressing projects)...

Hopefully you will see some good feedback here from folks, once they get the updated versions up and running on the guitars.

18. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I have one of the new Paul's bridges on my WL McCarty, like Wedge. I can report what I'm hearing that's different from my earlier stoptail McCartys, with the caveat that the neck on my new one is maple, and the others were mahogany and rosewood, which is in itself pretty significant.

I'll confine myself to a few details I'm hearing in this guitar.

First, I'm finding the sustain of a note to be maybe a little more even up and down the neck. Granted, maple is going to ring a little differently, but what really attracts my ear is the evenness. Maybe it's a combination of things, but the bridge is obviously not impeding the sustain.

Second, there's not what I have in the past called "plinkiness" unplugged or plugged into an amp. Notes seem to be very solidly ringing. The tone is very clear and there's good separation of the notes in a chord.

Again, there are probably lots of factors combining here, including the choice of woods, other hardware, and what-have-you, but this is the first one piece stoptail that I've felt holds its own against the 2 piece bridge in that regard (though it sounds different from the 2 piece).

But the more I live with the guitar, the more the impressions of evenness and solidity seem to be reinforced. What I can't say for sure is how much of a role the bridge plays in this.

Andrew Paul likes this.
  19. Mikegarveyblues

Mikegarveyblues Cream Crackered

When I get the upgraded parts and I get them in my guitar I'll see if I have time to do a little vid/review.

Although this will be comparing the stock SE bridge with the Mann adjustable stoptail rather than a core bridge.

Fullmoon 1971 likes this.
  20. helmi

helmi single & satin

OK. if the above philosophy is true, why isn't everyone putting brass nuts on their guitars? I had one on a mid 70's strat in the 80's, when brass nuts were all the rage. or for that matter, why aren't we making the stoptails themselves out of brass along with the tuners?

Andrew Paul likes this.