Fingerboard Inlay PRS Birds Brushstroke Birds

Number of Frets 22 22, Jumbo

Nut Material PPS Plastic Bone

Tuners PRS Designed Phase III Locking

Neck Pickup PRS TCI-tuned "S" Bass Humbucker PRS TCI-tuned Zebra Humbucker

Bridge Pickup PRS TCI-tuned "S" Treble Humbucker PRS TCI-tuned Zebra Humbucker

Strings 10s PRS, .010-.046

Case/Gig Bag Gig Bag Hardshell Case

I owned the SE and liked it so much that I sold it and got a 408, which I liked so much that I needed a hardtail and got the Core Paul's. The SE sounded great and could undoubtedly due anything at a gig that I needed it to do, but the feel of the core to me is just so solid that I don't regret my decision. Also, mine is pre-TCI and those 408's in that guitar resonate like no other. I am not tempted (so far) too get one with the newer pickups as I enjoy the split sounds of the Paul's and have a Silver Sky for that "S" type fix.

With that being said, you already own a great guitar, but sometimes that itch needs to be scratched, and you joined the wrong place if you expect us degenerates not to encourage it. Good luck!:D

I'm more than happy with my SE, however, I'm not close to any PRS dealers to try a core. I'm just curious about how much difference there is between the two. I'm new to the PRS lineup and still have a lot to learn.

I can’t speak for Paul’s guitars and it’s specifics. However I have a Core and S2 594 and pickup difference is night and day. Clearer, more articulate, Chimy-er, with a smoother bass.

Point being if the pickup difference is akin to 594, it could really shine as a recording instrument and not just ideal for gigs.

I've got the Paul's guitar pickups in a PS, and have had two with Core 408 pickups. Yes, there's quite a difference. Some is in the pickups, some is in the whole darn thing, part-for-part.

Doesn't mean you particularly need a Core Paul's, but it's a different kind of beast from the SE.

The Paul's is really the best guitar in the PRS lineup as far as I am concerned. I had 2 pre-TCI PGs with trems. Now I am rocking a Modern Eagle V. I find it to be the ultimate evolution of the Paul's Guitar. The TCI pickups are nice, but I still prefer the pair of narrow 408s.

I've played the SE Paul's and it is nice, but nowhere near the Core. I'm not an elitist either. It's just the woods.

I have not played a core Paul's yet, but I dig the pickups. They are so clean and articulate. In demos I've listened to, the Pauls tends to be my favorite PRS model.

The SE version is probably the best value guitar at that price point...period. I've said for years the only brand that comes close at the $1000 mark is LTD, but the Paul's SE has amenities you can't really find anywhere else.

True, the TCI(s) pickups, though great and the best SE pickups ever designed, are not at all the same as the Core versions. Me, being a habitual tinkerer, did eventually take out the TCI(s) pups on mine. I'm not aiming for the Core sound really, I'm aiming for a smoother, bassy, Santana-ish tone for mine, so went Bareknuckle on this one. I think the SE Paul's shines so well there.

You got a fantastic guitar. Never fret about how close or far away it is from the tone of its core counterpart, the Paul's SE has its own voice and it's awesome.

I think the videos say it all, the core is a better guitar, but is it worth 4 x the price of the SE (better?)

I'm sure opinions will vary.
IMHO....and I guess this goes for most everything core, wood library, or private stock...yes and no. The craftsmanship of domestic PRS guitars is second to none, and a random out of the box SE is probably not gonna be in the same zip code. But, with some extra fret work, drop in PRS pickups, Mannmade hardware...yeah, you can get damn close. The Paul's SE has the core bridge, about the same switching system albeit cheaper pots, switches, jack, but that can all be easily replaced.

The only things you can't do are...you can't buy pickups from a core PG. They wouldn't fit right in the routs on an SE anyway, but I've never seen anyone sell them...ever. If you want that core PG tone, you gotta pay the core PG price it seems. If im not mistaken, the SE fretwire is softer material.

Personally, I could play and gig with my PG SE for the rest of time and not be wanting it's core counterpart. I upgraded all the stuff I could for around $400 extra. Beyond the shallower carve on the top, there ain't too much separating this from a core at this point and Im only $1400 in. Does this mean I'll never buy a core? Hell no. Daddy still wants, daddy still needs...

Also add, I still think the best value overall for any PRS guitar is the CE.

IMHO....and I guess this goes for most everything core, wood library, or private stock...yes and no. The craftsmanship of domestic PRS guitars is second to none, and a random out of the box SE is probably not gonna be in the same zip code. But, with some extra fret work, drop in PRS pickups, Mannmade hardware...yeah, you can get damn close. The Paul's SE has the core bridge, about the same switching system albeit cheaper pots, switches, jack, but that can all be easily replaced.

The only things you can't do are...you can't buy pickups from a core PG. They wouldn't fit right in the routs on an SE anyway, but I've never seen anyone sell them...ever. If you want that core PG tone, you gotta pay the core PG price it seems. If im not mistaken, the SE fretwire is softer material.

Personally, I could play and gig with my PG SE for the rest of time and not be wanting it's core counterpart. I upgraded all the stuff I could for around $400 extra. Beyond the shallower carve on the top, there ain't too much separating this from a core at this point and Im only $1400 in. Does this mean I'll never buy a core? Hell no. Daddy still wants, daddy still needs...

Also add, I still think the best value overall for any PRS guitar is the CE.
Agreed regarding CE.

I did an A-B comparison with my new PRS SE Paul's guitar with my Fender American Original '50's Stratocaster. I am blown away by how close the tones in the SE's single-coil tones are to the Fender. I confess I have aging ears but I can't hear a lot of differences. I believe the SE had a slight edge on the Fender, but not much. The other thing that was apparent is the SE is so much more comfortable than the Fender (and lighter). The Fender is 3 times the price of the SE, however, with that said, I do love it and can't see me ever selling it on.

It reinforces my belief in how good the SE is.

Pauls SE guitar vs Pauls Guitar

Has anyone played both, I have a specs comparison below

Big difference in price between the two

Sorry the info is staggered, It was all in columns when I pasted it in

Pauls SE Pauls

Top Material Figured Maple Carved Figured Maple

Body Finish Gloss Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer

Neck Shape Pattern Wide Fat Pattern

Fingerboard Inlay PRS Birds Brushstroke Birds

Number of Frets 22 22, Jumbo

Nut Material PPS Plastic Bone

Tuners PRS Designed Phase III Locking

Neck Pickup PRS TCI-tuned "S" Bass Humbucker PRS TCI-tuned Zebra Humbucker

Bridge Pickup PRS TCI-tuned "S" Treble Humbucker PRS TCI-tuned Zebra Humbucker

Strings 10s PRS, .010-.046

Case/Gig Bag Gig Bag Hardshell Case

For me not the SE model. I love the PG and actually found one in perfect condition used for about 2300.00 on Reverb. The thing is amazing and while I own several SE models, the PG was one I did not wanted to go the SE route. It is a matter of personal choice and finances for sure.

I’ve got an SE Paul’s. Great guitar. Especially for the price. Finally picked up a Core 594 and now have the core Paul’s on my short list.

q282xbt.jpeg

I’m a big fan. Wood library next to the SE. I got the SE back from a shop. Now the frets play as smooth as the core and the action is the same. I installed core phase 3 tuners and changed the stud screw to polished nickel over brass instead of bare brass. Do the pickups sound as good as the core? Heck no. The core has something simply more musical, especially when split. But the SE is no slouch. I’ll probably play around with the pole pieces to further fine tune it. But it’s nothing that a slight turn of the amp can’t correct (increase treble, down on the bass) when compared to the cores.

q282xbt.jpeg

I’m a big fan. Wood library next to the SE. I got the SE back from a shop. Now the frets play as smooth as the core and the action is the same. I installed core phase 3 tuners and changed the stud screw to polished nickel over brass instead of bare brass. Do the pickups sound as good as the core? Heck no. The core has something simply more musical, especially when split. But the SE is no slouch. I’ll probably play around with the pole pieces to further fine tune it. But it’s nothing that a slight turn of the amp can’t correct (increase treble, down on the bass) when compared to the cores.
Almost couldnt tell which was which for a sec. A testment I think to how far the SE line has come. The TCI Core pickups are a very different animal to the SE version. The core ones have a more "jingly" quality to them, much clearer. The SE ones are really straight humbuckers, but I'm still kinda surprised the neck has the same output as the bridge (11.3k ohms more or less). I ended up swapping mine out for a Bareknuckle Abraxas set, though I could never get the spit system to work correctly. I might go back to it sometime and do a new harness design.

I just bought a '23 SE PG in that nice faded blue colour. More recently my latest ngd was going to be a Paul's Guitar that a local shop had, a core model. They're great, the specs are superior I suppose but as I was playing it through my amps at home I just liked the SE version more, that's what my gut told me. Which felt totally wrong haha.

Originally though before all that I traded for a red SE Paul's Guitar in and it was so good, it got me back into PRS guitars. I too wanted the Paul's core model but ended up having bought a special semi-hollow and a 408. I traded away the red SE thinking yep you're old news now. I never enjoyed those superior guitars like the SE. The 408 also sounded almost too perfect.

So weird to have the more expensive guitars and miss the cheaper one. To me the pickups are amazing, they have amazing bloom to them. It isn't all contoured so it's actually more comfy and it didn't cost a lot of money so if it gets used and banged up it's just how it is.

This new Faded Blue Paul's Guitar is even better and I feel like I could sell everything else!

Last edited:
Almost couldnt tell which was which for a sec. A testment I think to how far the SE line has come. The TCI Core pickups are a very different animal to the SE version. The core ones have a more "jingly" quality to them, much clearer. The SE ones are really straight humbuckers, but I'm still kinda surprised the neck has the same output as the bridge (11.3k ohms more or less). I ended up swapping mine out for a Bareknuckle Abraxas set, though I could never get the spit system to work correctly. I might go back to it sometime and do a new harness design.
I would be curious to try the unbucker in this set up. It coils are unbalanced so there should be minimal volume loss when split...much like the SE is wired if I understand things correctly.
https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/unbucker/

I would be curious to try the unbucker in this set up. It coils are unbalanced so there should be minimal volume loss when split...much like the SE is wired if I understand things correctly.
https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/unbucker/
Why would you think that?

I didn't like the Unbucker. Sterile, bright tone without much body.

Using the partial split method is where it's at, IMO.

Leaves some of the coil that's normally sent to ground still in the circuit to beef up the sound.

Easy to do.

Split the bridge pickup through a 2.2K resistor to ground and the neck through a 1.2K resistor to ground.

You can experiment with other values to leave or less of the partially split coil in the circuit.

I did.

But 1.1K and 2.2K sounded best to me.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s not how a Paul’s guitar work/wired. You’re talking how prs split the rest of the guitars.

Back