Paul's Guitar....

Save your money (for now). You'll just want to order a Private Stock version of the same darn thing.

"Pullin' A Pete" - when you enjoy a production guitar, then fall in love with a wood library run only to find your TRUE soulmates in the private stock department.

I'm waiting for the HB version of that configuration. Hopefully it won't be too long.....

I need to sample one first, and THEN order a Private Stock just like it, but in a 245 scale! ;)

Of course, you could simply go to a store and play one, thereby sampling it. They'd probably let you play it for hours if you needed to. You could probably even get PRS to hand you one when you go there to pick out the next private stock, and ask to spend a few hours with one so you could decide if you like the pickups.

But there will be an NGD post.

You know it, I know it, and the American People know it. The post will have pics, and be complimentary, but somewhere in that post the Seed Of The Rationalization will be sown.

Maybe, as you say, it will be scale length. Maybe the headstock. Maybe the artist grade dirty top is too dirty. But within a few days, the guitar will be Moved. It will be Gone, Vamoosed, Outta there. It will not really be given a chance. It will be unappreciated. "I really like it for playing X style, but I'm not sure about the scale length." Or, "This one's going to be my travel guitar when I go to Canada for gigs (this one is the fastest kiss of doom)."

No, it will not hang on the Wall of Doom for more than a few days. poor thing (I call it the Wall of Doom because a guitar hanging there is ultimately doomed to be cast aside like the wife who stayed with her man only to later find a trophy wife on his arm when she no longer looks the part).

Yes, it's a sad day when the poor guitar finds out your plans, as you lay it in its case, its little heart broken, its dreams dashed on the rocks, to travel to some far flung destination. I hope you feel very, very guilty. ;)

Last edited:
And there's the first official sale.

Of course, you could simply go to a store and play one, thereby sampling it. They'd probably let you play it for hours if you needed to. You could probably even get PRS to hand you one when you go there to pick out the next private stock, and ask to spend a few hours with one so you could decide if you like the pickups.

But there will be an NGD post.

You know it, I know it, and the American People know it. The post will have pics, and be complimentary, but somewhere in that post the Seed Of The Rationalization will be sown.

Maybe, as you say, it will be scale length. Maybe the headstock. Maybe the artist grade dirty top is too dirty. But within a few days, the guitar will be Moved. It will be Gone, Vamoosed, Outta there. It will not really be given a chance. It will be unappreciated. "I really like it for playing X style, but I'm not sure about the scale length." Or, "This one's going to be my travel guitar when I go to Canada for gigs (this one is the fastest kiss of doom)."

No, it will not hang on the Wall of Doom for more than a few days. poor thing (I call it the Wall of Doom because a guitar hanging there is ultimately doomed to be cast aside like the wife who stayed with her man only to later find a trophy wife on his arm when she no longer looks the part).

Yes, it's a sad day when the poor guitar finds out your plans, as you lay it in its case, its little heart broken, its dreams dashed on the rocks, to travel to some far flung destination. I hope you feel very, very guilty. ;)

3q9j0d_zpsc5301398.jpg
[/IMG]

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that discussion about this guitar has been limited to the friggin' inlays! How about what a narrow treble 408 pickup might actually sound like? Or is the scandal of an extra TR screw, or quality of online images more important?

Please don't hate, I'm just having fun with you guys :)

On a serious note, I always wondered what a guitar with two full bridge sized 408s would sound like. It seems the wider treble pickup gives a better chance of hitting sweet spots. I've found the sound of the narrow neck to be too similar split vs. full for my personal tastes. So i wonder how Paul arrived at this idea. Again, YMMV or IMHO :)

FWIW, I think the coolest news is that the new AP offers a BRW fretboard!!

I'm digging the orange hat and the cape.

Seriously, Pete knows I think he's a good guy and I like to kid him.

Last edited:
On a serious note, I always wondered what a guitar with two full bridge sized 408s would sound like. It seems the wider treble pickup gives a better chance of hitting sweet spots. I've found the sound of the narrow neck to be too similar split vs. full for my personal tastes. So i wonder how Paul arrived at this idea. Again, YMMV or IMHO :)

Didn't the Brent Mason Private Stock have two treble 408's? It might be a borrowed idea... I'm more interested in the 'new finish' and might have to pick one up.

I'm digging the orange hat and the cape.

Seriously, Pete knows I think he's a good guy and I like to kid him.

And he knows I'm just jealous. I do wish he would start dropping a few of his guitars before selling 'em though, he always has the finest examples.

I'm diggin' the Jheri curl look myself.

Can anyone tell me what a "Dirty" maple top is? Does that just mean it has those mineral streaks?

As far as the birds go, at first I didn't like them but they are growing on me. I think they would be nicer made if some kind of shell.

And, lastly, why no trem or hybrid option. I still can't wait to try one. Nice surprise.

Last edited:
No trem, because Paul doesn't use one. It's Paul's Guitar, remember ;)

Dirty maple = mineral streaks.

loved it. the inlays are very cool. the only thing is those narrow 408 in the bridge. I wish I know how different they sound from the wider one

Probably thinner and brighter, which is why I'm guessing they probably aren't for me.

Paul's Guitar

Probably thinner and brighter, which is why I'm guessing they probably aren't for me.

I have what might be the prototype for this model (formerly Paul's personal 408) and mine is not "thinner or brighter". It is very balanced and has a very impressive bottom end without any bloom. Sounds very nice through a bunch of different amps.

Mine has a pernambuco neck, but PRS says a sinker mahogany neck is close. So if this model sounds anything like mine, it will be a winner.

Pauls408FrontB.jpg

I saw this guitar in person in CT and it was great. A real jem. The neck really caught my eye. You are lucky dude to have convinced PRSH to give this one up!

Back