Paul's Guitar and Silver Sky

sillypilot

Hi all - I have a Paul's Guitar and a Silver Sky and I need to sell one for external reasons. They're both US versions if that matters. I'm leaning towards keeping Paul's guitar because I find the playability a bit easier and also get the coil splits. However, is there anything that I would lose by getting rid of the silver sky. I know they sound a bit different, but I feel like I can replicate the U2 type stuff I play on the silver sky on Paul's guitar. Anyway, I'm not an advanced player, so many times I'm still learning and making decisions that don't always end up being what I thought they would. For those of you who have both, and preference in terms of if you could just use one of them? I realize it is all personal preference, but I like to hear other opinions as it helps me learn and how to think about things.

Thanks!
Jorge

Sounds like you'd be better off keeping the Paul's if you feel it's able to fulfil your needs best right now and a 'Strat' isn't difficult to replace on a tight budget but replacing Something like a Paul's Guitar, and the quality of the split sounds is not so easy to do. I know they may not be the same 'quality' as the SS, but if you found you 'needed' something specifically the SS offered (trem for example) on a tight budget, you could find something suitable much easier and/or cheaper too.

But the decision has to be yours...

For what it's worth, I use a PS with Paul's Guitar pickups when I do U2 type stuff in my ad music tracks. Before that used an Artist V.

No question in my mind that the PG pickups work well with that style.

I'm sure you already know how The Edge does delays with the dotted eighth notes settings. I like to use a multitap delay that has dotted eighths on one side of a stereo track, and 16ths or regular eighths on the other side. I know it's not the officially-certified version of the Edge thing, but it can sound interesting, depending on the levels chosen.

One track I did for Cadillac a few years back used an Artist V and the dotted eighths/eighths thing I described. If I can find it I'll post a link.

I used an EQ pedal to high-pass filter the low end from one of my PRS amps to more or less replicate the frequency balance of a Vox. Turned out great. Well, the clients were happy, anyway. ;)

For what it's worth, I use a PS with Paul's Guitar pickups when I do U2 type stuff in my ad music tracks. Before that used an Artist V.

No question in my mind that the PG pickups work well with that style.

I'm sure you already know how The Edge does delays with the dotted eighth notes settings. I like to use a multitap delay that has dotted eighths on one side of a stereo track, and 16ths or regular eighths on the other side. I know it's not the officially-certified version of the Edge thing, but it can sound interesting, depending on the levels chosen.

One track I did for Cadillac a few years back used an Artist V and the dotted eighths/eighths thing I described. If I can find it I'll post a link.

I used an EQ pedal to high-pass filter the low end from one of my PRS amps to more or less replicate the frequency balance of a Vox. Turned out great. Well, the clients were happy, anyway. ;)
Thanks for these tips. I'm going to try it and see what mess I create :).

Hi all - I have a Paul's Guitar and a Silver Sky and I need to sell one for external reasons. They're both US versions if that matters. I'm leaning towards keeping Paul's guitar because I find the playability a bit easier and also get the coil splits. However, is there anything that I would lose by getting rid of the silver sky. I know they sound a bit different, but I feel like I can replicate the U2 type stuff I play on the silver sky on Paul's guitar. Anyway, I'm not an advanced player, so many times I'm still learning and making decisions that don't always end up being what I thought they would. For those of you who have both, and preference in terms of if you could just use one of them? I realize it is all personal preference, but I like to hear other opinions as it helps me learn and how to think about things.

Thanks!
Jorge
i thought the u2 guy played an explorer?

i thought the u2 guy played an explorer?
I checked with the internet to see if what I thought Edge used he's still using.

The internet says '76 Explorer, '73 Strat, '66 SG Standard, '66 Rick 330-12, '75 LP Custom, '66 Tele, '63 Gretsch and yes, a Variax (!).

I don't think there's anything on that list that can't reasonably be approximated with the Paul's Guitar.

Amps are a '64 AC30 TB, '58 Tweed Deluxe, '57 Tweed Deluxe, couple other backup Tweed Deluxe, Offstage there's a backup AC30 TB and a Marshall 50-Watt 1987X.

So pretty much the same rig that he's been traditionally associated with, especially the amps.

The internet says he uses a Korg SDD-3000 delay, along with one of the old TC 2290 rack delays to get his trademark delay thing going.

I checked with the internet to see if what I thought Edge used he's still using.

The internet says '76 Explorer, '73 Strat, '66 SG Standard, '66 Rick 330-12, '75 LP Custom, '66 Tele, '63 Gretsch and yes, a Variax (!).

I don't think there's anything on that list that can't reasonably be approximated with the Paul's Guitar.

Amps are a '64 AC30 TB, '58 Tweed Deluxe, '57 Tweed Deluxe, couple other backup Tweed Deluxe, Offstage there's a backup AC30 TB and a Marshall 50-Watt 1987X.

So pretty much the same rig that he's been traditionally associated with, especially the amps.

The internet says he uses a Korg SDD-3000 delay, along with one of the old TC 2290 rack delays to get his trademark delay thing going.

But apparently he still hasn’t found what he’s looking for.

Back