Paul's guitar and my 594 (core)

Summer

Age creeping up and arthritis flaring up on my thumb/finger making it difficult to play without pain when I play. I've tried to loosen my grip, no luck. In physical therapy now, trying to avoid surgery which would be awful. Having said all that, while I know this sounds crazy, i need to change string gauge from 10's on these two guitars to 9-42 and it makes me nervous. The guitars sound awesome and stay in tune really well. I know changing string gauge is no big deal, however i also know it can cause problems, mainly with staying in tune. I'm taking them to my luthier for full set up cuz these stop tails are a bit more difficult for me. Don't know why but it's making me a bit anxious cuz I don't wanna lose what I have, however with my hand i have to take the gamble and go to lighter strings. All this to say: Has anyone had issues changing to 9's on these two guitars that were built/setup with 10's? Any other guitars, no worries, and I'm probably over thinking this but they both sound killer and stay in tune well. With my health, I have no choice. Confidence appreciated?

Age creeping up and arthritis flaring up on my thumb/finger making it difficult to play without pain when I play. I've tried to loosen my grip, no luck. In physical therapy now, trying to avoid surgery which would be awful. Having said all that, while I know this sounds crazy, i need to change string gauge from 10's on these two guitars to 9-42 and it makes me nervous. The guitars sound awesome and stay in tune really well. I know changing string gauge is no big deal, however i also know it can cause problems, mainly with staying in tune. I'm taking them to my luthier for full set up cuz these stop tails are a bit more difficult for me. Don't know why but it's making me a bit anxious cuz I don't wanna lose what I have, however with my hand i have to take the gamble and go to lighter strings. All this to say: Has anyone had issues changing to 9's on these two guitars that were built/setup with 10's? Any other guitars, no worries, and I'm probably over thinking this but they both sound killer and stay in tune well. With my health, I have no choice. Confidence appreciated?
Nope, no problems at all. I run 9s on everything. I replaced my Paul's with an ME-V, but put 9s on that. I have 9s on a 594, too. I've run 8s on a couple, too, without issue.

Nope, no problems at all. I run 9s on everything. I replaced my Paul's with an ME-V, but put 9s on that. I have 9s on a 594, too. I've run 8s on a couple, too, without issue.
good to hear. thanks

Would you put 9s on a cu22 soapbar??

Ya know, IF you had one??

I just put 9’s on my triple soapbar, no problem. Don’t worry about the surgery, Summer. I’ve had 4, and I can still play, thanks to Dr. Ray Wittstadt, aka “the hand god”. I’m religious about doing hand exercises every morning, followed by ice. I also wear a very good hand brace to bed at night. It’ll all be good, especially the9’s.

I just put 9’s on my triple soapbar, no problem. Don’t worry about the surgery, Summer. I’ve had 4, and I can still play, thanks to Dr. Ray Wittstadt, aka “the hand god”. I’m religious about doing hand exercises every morning, followed by ice. I also wear a very good hand brace to bed at night. It’ll all be good, especially the9’s.

glad your surgery was successful. I feel I’m headed that way but trying not to. Workin hard at PT and I wear my brace most of the day and at night. I feel confident 9’s will allow me to play with less pain, especially the chunky 594 neck. Best feel right now is my Suhr HSS with roasted neck/ radius
10-12. Least pain, 9’s.
But I love all my guitars. Thanks for your input, good luck with your wrist. Stay well.

Go with #8's.
https://www.daddario.com/products/g...yxl0838-nickel-wound-extra-super-light-08-38/

Back