Paul Reed Smith S2 Starla | N Stuff Music Product Review

Obscure-ish Don Henley at the beginning ftw!

At around 2:06 onwards he's describing the coil "split" technology behind the 408 pickups... are they applying that design aspect now to these as well?

At 1:54 a major goof.
Mark, it is a bridge, not a stop tail piece.
Stop tail pieces do not have tremolos.

Not sure about the pickups, but this is not the first video where he has said that.

I believe that the Starla pups do NOT have 1500 extra turns on the single side.

Customer service needs to contact this guy and have him edit or pull this video. Misinformation = bad information = bad press.

I believe that the Starla pups do NOT have 1500 extra turns on the single side.

Customer service needs to contact this guy and have him edit or pull this video. Misinformation = bad information = bad press.

Indeed - misinformed customers = angry customers.

I think he's been saying this about all the S2 pickups. He mentioned it on the Custom 22 Semi Hollow vid, of which I have the actual guitar, and while the split tones are great, they do have a volume drop. I actually prefer it that way, I like my single coil tones with a bit less hair.

Aside from not being the 408 system, the pickups are still super nice on my S2. The split tones are VERY useable, and the bridge split is especially nice. Usually a split bridge sounds very tinny and piercing to me, but this one is very smooth and round sounding. Super versatile axe!

Despite his errors regarding bridge and pickups, it's a nice-sounding demo of the guitar. Makes me want one!

no the pups are not added coil like the 408 how ever I believe they use a resister on the pups so when splitting the drop off is not as noticeable.

Last edited:
I'm shooting to get one in 2015. Perfect complement to my Mira and I just love that updated retro-vibe.

Misinformed for sure but i don't mind due to the awesome sounds from this lovely model

I wish everyone would stop calling these reviews. Its not a review. Its a product demo with the intent of selling the product. A true review points out the pros and cons of the instrument and then sometimes assigns an overall grade. The guitar mags used to do that but even that is gone now.

This is true, many online and physical magazines no longer give pros/cons on products with the exception of an overlanding magazine I get called Overland Journal.
They give true reviews and are not swayed by the free gear (which they return when done) they recieve for advertising by companies that pay for a spot in their magazine.

Despite his errors regarding bridge and pickups, it's a nice-sounding demo of the guitar. Makes me want one!

Makes me want one too. Does anybody have experience with the bigsby on this? I have bad experience with tuning stability on every bigsby equipped guitar I've ever played (all Gibsons). I've done all of the usual things (mainly at the nut) to try and help, but if even if I don't touch the bigsby, the things never seem to stay in tune. Somehow I'd guess that a PRS with a bigsby would be better, but how much so?

Related I guess, is the Mira more or less a DC Starla with a wraptail? I'm sure that there are a few places around here that have these.... I'll check them out in any case. You certainly can't beat the price!

I wish everyone would stop calling these reviews. Its not a review. Its a product demo with the intent of selling the product. A true review points out the pros and cons of the instrument and then sometimes assigns an overall grade. The guitar mags used to do that but even that is gone now.

Indeed it's not a review but demos are nice too especially if you're in the early stages of GAS! I think NStuff makes particularly good demos - they are well-recorded, they explain the signal chain, they cover a variety of clean & overdriven sounds and Mark's playing in particular is remarkably tasteful and skilful. So these videos have their place (once the product facts are made clear!)

Makes me want one too. Does anybody have experience with the bigsby on this? I have bad experience with tuning stability on every bigsby equipped guitar I've ever played (all Gibsons). I've done all of the usual things (mainly at the nut) to try and help, but if even if I don't touch the bigsby, the things never seem to stay in tune. Somehow I'd guess that a PRS with a bigsby would be better, but how much so?

I have more experience with the Core Starla and it's the most stable Bigbsy-equipped guitar I've ever played. Hopefully the S2 is similar, but I can't say for sure yet.

Related I guess, is the Mira more or less a DC Starla with a wraptail? I'm sure that there are a few places around here that have these.... I'll check them out in any case. You certainly can't beat the price!

In the S2 line yes, it's close, but in the Core line things were rather different. Highly differently specced pickups, different scale length, different neck carves, different number of frets - both 'stripped-down' in some ways but a different playing experience entirely. They did a stoptail Starla for a while though for those that were Bigsby-averse (an affliction I simply do not understand). :D

Indeed it's not a review but demos are nice too especially if you're in the early stages of GAS! I think NStuff makes particularly good demos - they are well-recorded, they explain the signal chain, they cover a variety of clean & overdriven sounds and Mark's playing in particular is remarkably tasteful and skilful. So these videos have their place (once the product facts are made clear!)

I also think they do fantastic demos - while Mark doesn't play the same style as I do, I still really appreciate his playing because
it showcases the natural tone of the guitar very well. Just some good clean riffs and then with a touch of OD. Plus they tend to use same amps on a lot of demos, usually Fender combos, which I think are fairly neutral amps, also a good thing. Much better than listening to some guy play crazy @$$ shred with heaps of gain and a flanger and delay going the whole time!

Back