Paul Reed Smith Power Amp

themike

I chatted with Doug a little bit about it, but how many of you would be interested in a PRS power amp? Now adays a lot of us are using preamps like the Fractal AxeFX but enjoy having it backed up by a tube poweramp. I personally use a VHT 2/50/2 in my rig right now which I love, but there is no doubt in my mind that Doug could create something just as good in the same price bracket to compete with VHT/Freyette.

Some points I highlighted were

- Least amount of tonal coloring
- Weight
- Presence/Depth controls

I think $1700 for a VHT power amp is a little steep, when PRS are turning out hand wired, complete amplifiers for decently less!

I think they would sell the crap outta them!! Great idea. I know Doug could do it. He's THE MAN!!

crgtr said:
I think they would sell the crap outta them!! Great idea. I know Doug could do it. He's THE MAN!!

I even told him I would send him my power amp as a reference if he'd like. Maybe if they get some idea on here that people would be into it we could see it! :lol: :twisted:

Regarding color - I do prefer the way power tubes impact tone over a sterile solid-state power section.

How about an all-tube PRS mono block with power tube switching? :shock:

Hans said:
Regarding color - I do prefer the way power tubes impact tone over a sterile solid-state power section.

Bahhhh no monoblocks, us Fractal guys need to be able to rackmount this puppy! Im fine with the ability to switch power amp tube choices though! :mrgreen:

themike said:
Hans said:

Bahhhh no monoblocks, us Fractal guys need to be able to rackmount this puppy! Im fine with the ability to switch power amp tube choices though! :mrgreen:
Clearly you haven't seen the Manley Labs MonoBlocks... :eek:

S_250M__9479__08182010044902-2308.jpg

Manley. That's great gear.

Yeah, I think there would be a robust market for something tubular in the power only dept. Some good things are possible in the SS domain too I think.

tdarian said:

Yeah, I think there would be a robust market for something tubular in the power only dept. Some good things are possible in the SS domain too I think.
WIth the popularity of the Axe-FX II spreading so quickly, a trick tube power amp sure makes a lot of sense to me.

axe-fx-ii-600.jpg

Hans said:
tdarian said:

WIth the popularity of the Axe-FX II spreading so quickly, a trick tube power amp sure makes a lot of sense to me.

Just tonematched a bunch of tones today on mine thanks to Firmware 6 :cool:

Now THAT would be a wise move, if they came out with a power amp specifically with the Axe FX in mind.

In fact, PRS could even include patches of models of all the PRS amps! That sound like the amps when paired with the PRS power amp.

Oh wait....now would that end up costing them more money in amp sales than it made them in power amp sales...hmmm...

The Ratchet said:
Oh wait....now would that end up costing them more money in amp sales than it made them in power amp sales...hmmm...

Ehhhh I dont really think thats true - if you want a PRS amp you are going to own one, no question. I love the sound of PRS amps, and think they are AMAZING - but I will always use the AxeFX over it due to sheer ease for me of having a million sounds in one box, switchable at my feet, as well as USB recording you know?

Plus I know from our conversations Doug thinks the AxeFX are cool units. Lets also not forget that PRS was involved in the WAVES Guitar Amp sims a few years ago. Although the PRS branded amps might not have been out yet, you can be sure that Paul and Doug were in talks about the prospects.

The Ratchet said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Looks like they've still got some room for the Manley.....over at the Titan Missile Museum.

control_room.jpg

I heard they mixed the first Santana record on that desk, they thought it sounded 'explosive' in the control room :D

Oooo...now I want to redo my studio in Missle Room Green...

And is that a giant spring in the back corner of the shot to prevent the missile/room from experiencing blast or earthquake damage?

LSchefman said:
Oooo...now I want to redo my studio in Missle Room Green...

And is that a giant spring in the back corner of the shot to prevent the missile/room from experiencing blast or earthquake damage?

No silly...that's the REVERB TANK!!

(I think Manley made that too) :D

Regarding the spring: The creation of a Hologram requires a perfectly stable environment, 100% isolated from vibration.

The creation of holographic tone requires similar isolation.

ArtG said:
I'd gladly switch to PRS power section in my gig rig.
Please make something that would fit in here :D

Like I said it started as an idea - I emailed Doug and he seemed pretty into it. If people show interest on here
it wouldn't surprise me if it could come to creation :lol:

themike said:
I chatted with Doug a little bit about it, but how many of you would be interested in a PRS power amp? Now adays a lot of us are using preamps like the Fractal AxeFX but enjoy having it backed up by a tube poweramp. I personally use a VHT 2/50/2 in my rig right now which I love, but there is no doubt in my mind that Doug could create something just as good in the same price bracket to compete with VHT/Freyette.

Some points I highlighted were

- Least amount of tonal coloring
- Weight
- Presence/Depth controls

I think $1700 for a VHT power amp is a little steep, when PRS are turning out hand wired, complete amplifiers for decently less!

Given your specifications, you are better off with a solid-state amp that uses current feedback. Current feedback makes a solid-state output stage react like a tube output stage with respect to speaker impedance.

Em7 said:
Given your specifications, you are better off with a solid-state amp that uses current feedback. Current feedback makes a solid-state output stage react like a tube output stage with respect to speaker impedance.

I've tried a few SS poweramps and while they aren't horrible - actually pretty good to be honest, something about the tube amps just flavor it just right for me. It's like the AxeFX2 tone is a perfectly baked cake, and the VHT power amp coloring is just a thin layer of delicious icing. Not overpowering, but noticbly better than just plain cake.

Hmmm, now I want cake.....

Back