Paul’s Guitar vs Special Semi-Hollow 22

Goodsal

zJuNsGt.jpg

I now own these 2 amazing guitars and as much as I’d like to keep both, I think I need to pick one and sell the other. They are very similar in feel and playability given they have the same Pattern neck profile. The Special is more versatile given the middle pickup and 5 way switch. I never use a trem so that doesn’t matter to me. The Paul’s pickups are a little lower output and a little sweeter, but I notice that with the Special’s pickups in tapped mode they sound almost identical to the Paul’s pickups in full humbucker mode. The Paul’s pickups when split are pretty weak, whereas the Special’s sound great tapped and really scream in full humbucker mode. The Special is lighter given it’s semi-hollow, which I like. I’m leaning towards keeping the Special for all those reasons, but there is something about the Paul’s that makes me want to keep playing it. I know everyone is going to say just keep both. If I keep both it will bug me that they’re both almost the same color.

Anyone else compare these two guitars?

zJuNsGt.jpg

I now own these 2 amazing guitars and as much as I’d like to keep both, I think I need to pick one and sell the other. They are very similar in feel and playability given they have the same Pattern neck profile. The Special is more versatile given the middle pickup and 5 way switch. I never use a trem so that doesn’t matter to me. The Paul’s pickups are a little lower output and a little sweeter, but I notice that with the Special’s pickups in tapped mode they sound almost identical to the Paul’s pickups in full humbucker mode. The Paul’s pickups when split are pretty weak, whereas the Special’s sound great tapped and really scream in full humbucker mode. The Special is lighter given it’s semi-hollow, which I like. I’m leaning towards keeping the Special for all those reasons, but there is something about the Paul’s that makes me want to keep playing it. I know everyone is going to say just keep both. If I keep both it will bug me that they’re both almost the same color.

Anyone else compare these two guitars?

6 of my 7 PRS guitars are the exact same colour - not different shades of Blue like yours but the exact same colour so I really don't see why having both will bug you. If its that much of an issue, you could trade one for a different colour. Unless you have to get rid of one (for whatever reason), why not keep both? I like the fact that my PRS collection look alike...

Maybe in a few months, you may feel different and really want to keep both or maybe have a clearer idea of which you prefer to keep. Its clear that you like both - even if it seems that the Special has 'more' positives, there is still something that makes you want to keep playing the Pauls. Therefore, I would suggest not making any 'permanent' decision on which to sell and keep both. In a few months, reassess how you feel about both. Maybe someone would trade a different colour version for yours if that's a major issue but unless you need to sell one sooner, why not wait and reassess in a few months when maybe it becomes obvious what you should do for your needs...

My grandmother would have said, "Where is it written that you have to make this choice?" :)

It's human nature for some of us to compare two things, try to choose the 'best' one, and discard the other. I've done this too many times myself with instruments, and almost always regretted it later. Regardless, there are differences between the guitars worth considering:

I have the PG pickups on one of my PS models (it also has a middle pickup), and the 58/15 LTs on another. They drive my amps differently, and respond to the volume and tone controls differently, which means I can get different tone colors with each guitar. So that's a plus.

Having lower output coil splits on one than the other isn't a drawback, it's an opportunity! It can help you achieve different sounds, as most single coil guitars (Strats being a good example) have lower output pickups that also drive an amp into different territory than hotter pickups. Another plus.

Also, the PG pickups have more treble than the 58/15 LTs, and the bass is a bit tighter and more Tele-like to me. Again, a plus.

A semi-hollow usually has a greater resonant peak, which gives it that semi-hollow tone, and the solid body will have different characteristic tones as well.

If you turn the guitar controls up to 10 and bang out high gain guzz-guzz and nothing else, these differences may not matter much, but then most of the things you paid a for on a PRS wouldn't matter much. In that case, might as well pick your favorite color and get on with it. However, I would guess you play several styles. Mozzi's advice is pretty good.

Personally, I'd keep both... hell, I'd keep the Paul's just for the inlays! ...but if you really need to justify it some how, just join in a band with some friends; you always want your live backup guitar to be as similar as possible to your main live guitar, after all (remind me to tell you about the horror show of switching from a Jem to an SG on a darkened stage when I broke a string back in my youth; did you know that those guitars hang completely differently on the strap, placing the neck in very different positions under your hand?)... anyway, isn't there a law against ever selling an SSH? If there isn't there ought to be... I know I'm not going to risk it; I'm never selling my SSH

Unless you're a collector, or have a specific need for both, I would pick your favorite, but only after the honeymoon is over. As for me, the decision would be simple.

One is a stoptail while the other a trem. One (somewhat) hollow and the other solid. I think they both cover their own unique paces, and I’d be hard pressed to choose. If you do indeed choose, it should be along those lines, and which fits your music and playing style.

Haha! You're such an enabler!

So...where's your Core PRS to compliment the PRS you have??

Having had a chance to consider your question, as and when we return to normal (we are currently in lockdown until April), I would need to travel to Glasgow to Guitar Guitar (nearest PRS dealer), to road test a DGT or a Pauls Guitar.

Just wanting something sonically different from what I already own.

Or maybe an NF3, but as you can imagine they don’t appear for sale in UK very often.

Ooh touché!

Written into my divorce settlement. If only I knew a lawyer!;)

I can give you lessons on how to slip into your house with gear, undetected by your spouse.

When I had a ton of analog gear (analog tape, console, outboard gear galore) a friend asked my wife how she felt about my having all that dough tied up in equipment. Her response was, "Les sneaks that stuff into the house one cable at a time! Before you know it, it's just...there!"

Your first lesson is free. Practice the following phrase until you can say it without looking terribly guilty:

This? I've had it for quite awhile.

After hearing it often enough, my wife finally said, "What's awhile? Like, five minutes?"

However, she didn't say that until enough time passed that I was able to come up with Plan B, which is part of Lesson Two. I charge for Lesson Two. Lessons 3-10 are highly advanced strategies. ;)

I sold my Paul's (actually 2018 Experience Ltd) and kept my SSH. However, I only did that because the ME-V and the Paul's were too similar.

I can give you lessons on how to slip into your house with gear, undetected by your spouse.

When I had a ton of analog gear (analog tape, console, outboard gear galore) a friend asked my wife how she felt about my having all that dough tied up in equipment. Her response was, "Les sneaks that stuff into the house one cable at a time! Before you know it, it's just...there!"

Your first lesson is free. Practice the following phrase until you can say it without looking terribly guilty:

This? I've had it for quite awhile.

After hearing it often enough, my wife finally said, "What's awhile? Like, five minutes?"

However, she didn't say that until enough time passed that I was able to come up with Plan B, which is part of Lesson Two. I charge for Lesson Two. Lessons 3-10 are highly advanced strategies. ;)

It’s not sneaking the guitar in, it’s the financial trail!

I take it that is covered on lessons 2-10?!:D

Back