Paul’s Guitar - The Ultimate PRS?

Tonart

Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?
I have no idea what these guys are saying, but I seem to detect they are loving it! Weird to see grown men groaning in pleasure on a full fledged family channel.

The tone at 11:00 almost sounds unreal, almost like some vintage instrument.

Amazing to see these SE Paul’s doing so well. It the follows that the cores must have cherries on their tops in case you’re hungry.

Well done PRS!!

Calling the Paul's guitar the 'Ultimate' PRS is too much in my opinion. I think its a very good model at best and offers something similar but different to the PRS 594 with the Paul's falling more towards the 'traditional' PRS spec but ultimately offers very similar options - different tonality of course. I don't know how flexible the Paul's is with different tunings for example with that non-adjustable bridge compared to other models. Its still a double humbucker guitar that has great and usable individual coil splitting options - like the 594, Custom 24-08 and 408.

I would think though that the 'Ultimate' PRS is most likely the Modern Eagle V. So much versatility and even a Trem bridge to add extra functionality if you want to use it. I think the MEv would cover you for far more situations, styles/genres, tones etc than the Paul's - offering everything the Paul's offers and a lot more too.

I think the Paul's is a great guitar but its also on a par with the other Core models. Its personal preference as to whether you prefer the Paul's or a 594, Custom 22, Custom 24 or any variations of these (Piezo, 08, Floyd) etc which is why I don't think its the 'Ultimate'. If you need a trem for example and/or something that can go from Gibson LP type to 3 SC (inc the middle PU for the 2, 3, 4 positions) Strat type tones then a Paul's isn't going to offer all that in one. The only guitar that could replace all (or at least the majority) of your PRS collection is the MEv so it has to be the Ultimate PRS...

Calling the Paul's guitar the 'Ultimate' PRS is too much in my opinion. I think its a very good model at best and offers something similar but different to the PRS 594 with the Paul's falling more towards the 'traditional' PRS spec but ultimately offers very similar options - different tonality of course. I don't know how flexible the Paul's is with different tunings for example with that non-adjustable bridge compared to other models. Its still a double humbucker guitar that has great and usable individual coil splitting options - like the 594, Custom 24-08 and 408.

I would think though that the 'Ultimate' PRS is most likely the Modern Eagle V. So much versatility and even a Trem bridge to add extra functionality if you want to use it. I think the MEv would cover you for far more situations, styles/genres, tones etc than the Paul's - offering everything the Paul's offers and a lot more too.

I think the Paul's is a great guitar but its also on a par with the other Core models. Its personal preference as to whether you prefer the Paul's or a 594, Custom 22, Custom 24 or any variations of these (Piezo, 08, Floyd) etc which is why I don't think its the 'Ultimate'. If you need a trem for example and/or something that can go from Gibson LP type to 3 SC (inc the middle PU for the 2, 3, 4 positions) Strat type tones then a Paul's isn't going to offer all that in one. The only guitar that could replace all (or at least the majority) of your PRS collection is the MEv so it has to be the Ultimate PRS...
the Super Eagle and Special Semi-Hollow handle those strat tones and has a tremolo too.;)

the Super Eagle and Special Semi-Hollow handle those strat tones and has a tremolo too.;)

I disagree on the SSH - I have one myself and you can't get the middle on its own and its a bit too Humbucker-ish (unsurprisingly as its the 57/08 Humbucker in a Narrow form factor which does change its tone) when combined with the split Neck/Bridge to be able to give the SSS strat tones. I think the 509 is better for that as it can actually be set to SSS with a 5-way like a Strat - the SSH is a fantastic and versatile guitar but if I want more stratty tones, I reach for the 509 - I don't own a Strat and the 509 is the best alternative I have.

I can't comment on the Super Eagle myself as I have never owned one and not 100% sure on the way the 5 way works. I know you can split all 3 HB's (inc the JM Narrowfield) which you can't with the SSH but I don't know if the 5-way gives you the option of both Humbuckers (like a traditional 2xHB guitar) or the Middle on its own (like a Strat).

The MEv also has the added option of swapping between 250k and 500k pots and I think PRS have got better and better with their coil split tones and with the TCI process, I think gives it the edge over previous PRS 'Eagles' and thus the Ultimate PRS.

I know that some people don't like or really use the middle SC on a strat unless its used with the neck (or Bridge) but having that option is part or that 'Strat' thing and if you want that sound from a PRS, the MEv (I think) gives the closest sound without buying a Silver Sky - especially as you can also switch the Pot values too. Its these aspects that give the MEv the edge over the other models you mentioned which is why I think its the 'ultimate' PRS. The others are fantastic instruments in their own right but the MEv offers the biggest range of tonal options to be the 'ultimate' PRS...

Have my MEV for a week now, it’s a Paul’s guitar on steroids. It part Paul’s, part 513 and more. The 500k/250k switch really makes a cool subtle difference especially when playing clean in single coil mode. I find the middle coil more useful than the Narrowfield Humbucker on the SSH, for MY taste and playing. It’s an incredible guitar.

Back