Paul’s answer, make it better

This was a great episode. Besides the answer noted, I liked that Paul didn't try to convert Steve - he was quite respectful of the fact that Vai's guitars, which are pretty much customs for him (like the DGT).
Soooo much respect for that.

Ok, so PRS offers to take back your vintage instrument, put all the new updates on it. What do you do? Are you going to send it back? Accept every change? Accept some?

I'd have a hard time deciding with my 96 CE24. I really like it how it is with mods I have done to it. SD pickups, mann trem, etc...

Ok, so PRS offers to take back your vintage instrument, put all the new updates on it. What do you do? Are you going to send it back? Accept every change? Accept some?

I'd have a hard time deciding with my 96 CE24. I really like it how it is with mods I have done to it. SD pickups, mann trem, etc...
My 1990 custom is not perfect by any stretch. It's a player, which is why it was cheap (well, it's all relative). Anyway It could certainly use the upgrades from a master. But then it wouldn't be original, and that would make me sad a little. Warts and all, I love it as it is.

In the end I think I'd send it to Paul and let him do what he wishes to it. If for no other reason than from the videos I've seen he seems to really enjoy seeing his old babies return to the nest and I know he'd treat it the same as if it was for some high profile rock star. Because that's just how he rolls, he just wouldn't half ass it just because I'm just a guy playing in my house.

I met Paul at a guitar show in Philly last year. I told him I have a 1990 CE24 and 2006 Hollowbody Spruce. His response was "Can I have them back and make them better", then smiling.

Last edited:
I met Paul at a guitar show in Philly last year. I told him I have a 1990 CE24 and 2006 Hollowbody Spruce. His response was "Can I have them back and make them better", then smiling.
Has anyone done this? I'm curious what the changes are.

Back