Pattern Regular vs. Soapbar neck

jrw32

Hi,
Anyone with experience with both, how would you compare the PRS Pattern Regular vs. Soapbar neck profile? I'm familiar with Pattern Regular but have never played a Soapbar neck, but am considering one.

Thanks much for the insight.

What sort of Soapbar? Most of the models I can think of would have the Wide/Fat profile. My HBII is Wide/Fat, and the S2 Singlecut is Regular and I switch back and forth very comfortably.

It may have been an anomaly, but the SE Soapbar II I owned had a huge neck. It was supposedly W/F, but it was a bit wider at the nut and it had a very beefy feel compared to other W/F necks.

Sorry I should've specified....I'm specifically curious about Core Custom 22 Soapbar model necks compared to Pattern Regular. I know the dimensions are the same, but I thought I read elsewhere that the Soapbar profile is different. Thanks again!

Maybe I'm thinking of the Standard neck or whatever came on the Core Cu22 Soapbars. Whatever it is, I've heard it's different?

If you are referring to the special run in 2010, those had a DGT profile. I just ran the modcat of one on Reverb right now and it does say "Custom Soapbar"....well I'll be.

The old CU22 Soapbar that first came out in the late 90s had the "Regular" neck profile. I had two of them, one with maple fretboard, one with RW. Great guitars!

I have an SE Soapbar II and it has a Wide Fat neck. I will say I've ordered two PS guitars with Wide Fat neck carves because of how much I enjoy the Soapie WF neck, and both of those necks are quite a bit beefier. They sound great, though.

There actually WAS a special neck for the original run of Custom 22 Soapbar guitars around the turn of the century. Roughly 500 were made. It was called the "Regular D" and it was unique. My all-time favorite neck and I wish it were available today. It's just slightly less thick (top to bottom) compared to the DGT or "Pattern Regular." When they've released special issues of the Custom 22 in subsequent years, they tended to use a DGT, not the "Regular D." I've asked PRS if they can recut a current model neck to the "Regular D" spec but apparently their current computer designs don't support it. Shame, because it's a wonderful shape.

There actually WAS a special neck for the original run of Custom 22 Soapbar guitars around the turn of the century. Roughly 500 were made. It was called the "Regular D" and it was unique. My all-time favorite neck and I wish it were available today. It's just slightly less thick (top to bottom) compared to the DGT or "Pattern Regular." When they've released special issues of the Custom 22 in subsequent years, they tended to use a DGT, not the "Regular D." I've asked PRS if they can recut a current model neck to the "Regular D" spec but apparently their current computer designs don't support it. Shame, because it's a wonderful shape.

You know, now that you mention it - Regular D rings a bell! Yes, whatever it was, it's a great feeling neck.

I really like Regular D too (it's my fav carve), I had an original CU22 Soapy and pretty sure my SAS \m/ (NF 25th) has the same neck. Don't know how to describe it but it feel chunkier (as in slightly bigger all over) than my Pattern Reg guitars.

Pretty sure @Tim uses this profile on all his Private Stocks he specs, I remember playing them thinking I really dig this carve, asked him and he said it was Regular (not Pattern Reg)

Great, thanks for the above info - that's what I thought! Might have to check 1 out.

Back