Pattern indecision

Neck profiles are personal and quite important to different player's.
ideally find a store and try out a few. other than that you won't get better advice than the guy's have given.!!!

I’ve always tried to remain carve agnostic, where possible. Even after playing them all, and owning most, I prefer pattern regular/DGT equally with WF next. Playing a guitar for 4 hours in stressful conditions tells you what works best with your hands and I’ve mostly reached for fatter necks. But, there are a gazillion gig-hours on my CU24 with WT and I’ve lived to tell the story. It’s all about comfort.

I haven't played enough different necks to know. But I have noticed that the longer I have been playing, the less that the neck thickness matters. I don't spend much time squeezing the neck, the hand just lightly moves around it.

Best of luck sorting it out though!

I started out on a thin neck with a 60s slim taper LP based on the smaller hands/thinner neck theory. Now both my electrics (594 and LP Custom) have fatter necks and I find them a lot more comfortable. A fatter neck fills my hand better so I get less cramping. I’m definitely not a shredder tho, more like BB King style blues and classic rock :)

Back