Pattern indecision

veltro_205

Hi guys,

I'm looking for my first Custom 24 Core, but I'm very indecisive about the neck profile between Pattern Standard and Pattern Thin.

My actual guitar is a Jackson :cool::cool: and i play hard-rock, metal and with fast and technical solo (until my own strength :oops:), I think that the "theory" said me to buy the Patern Thin but playing the guitar I'm feel more comfortable with the pattern standard.

My concerns about is: maybe with some hours of playing the pattern thin will be better for me :confused:o_O

What do you think about this two neck profile?

Veltro

I prefer pattern regular, but I'm certainly no shredder. Go with what feels best to you - if you find pattern regular more comfortable right away, it seems unlikely that it will change after hours of playing. If anything, I would think pattern thin might get less comfortable the longer you play it.

I’m a shredder. I am not super fond of the pattern thin neck. My guitars are largely thin necks, but the pattern regular works best for me on PRS guitars.

MM. More Meat! Pattern Regular.

Plus...you already played that profile and bonded with it. Your gut has already told you what you like. Go for it…and don't look back!

I am a huge Zakk Wylde fan and don’t have any issues with his style of playing on my pattern regular. I don’t have large hands either, hope that helps.

For me, neck types bring out different nuances in my playing. So my two cents is to consider what you want the Custom 24 for - to do more of what you already do (shred on pattern thin) or try to do something a little different on pattern regular.

That being said, as you may have noticed, the PRS neck profiles are not vastly different from each other the way, say, your Jackson neck vs a 50’s LP would be. I can honestly say I’ve never had a problem playing on any of them.

I have:
  • Wide Thin
  • Wide Fat
  • Pattern Thin
  • Pattern Regular
I’m liking the Pattern Regular more now (tho I can’t shred worth a damn) but hopping among them is no big deal.

I went to CME today to try some necks I don’t have, because of the upcoming S2 McCarty and maple-board Silver Sky. So I played a core McCarty and a rosewood Sky - the McCarty ‘Pattern Vintage’ was pretty chunky and I didn’t vibe with it immediately. The JM neck is still a little chunky, but felt more in my wheelhouse - and the round fingerboard radius didn’t really throw me.

Pattern regular has been my favorite on the core models I’ve owned.

I have:
  • Wide Thin
  • Wide Fat
  • Pattern Thin
  • Pattern Regular
I’m liking the Pattern Regular more now (tho I can’t shred worth a damn) but hopping among them is no big deal.

I went to CME today to try some necks I don’t have, because of the upcoming S2 McCarty and maple-board Silver Sky. So I played a core McCarty and a rosewood Sky - the McCarty ‘Pattern Vintage’ was pretty chunky and I didn’t vibe with it immediately. The JM neck is still a little chunky, but felt more in my wheelhouse - and the round fingerboard radius didn’t really throw me.
I have
Wide thin Mira
Wide fat McRosie
Pattern Regular P22
Pattern Vintage 594
And SS

As a rhythm player I can jump between them fairly easily, but right now the PR, PV, and SS are killing it.

Hi guys,

I'm looking for my first Custom 24 Core, but I'm very indecisive about the neck profile between Pattern Standard and Pattern Thin.

My actual guitar is a Jackson :cool::cool: and i play hard-rock, metal and with fast and technical solo (until my own strength :oops:), I think that the "theory" said me to buy the Patern Thin but playing the guitar I'm feel more comfortable with the pattern standard.

My concerns about is: maybe with some hours of playing the pattern thin will be better for me :confused:o_O

What do you think about this two neck profile?

Veltro

I’d go with what feels best to you... it sounds like that’s the Pattern Regular one.

I have the following profiles on my PRS Guitars:

Standard
Pattern Regular
Pattern

Originally I only had the Standard neck PRS and because I liked it so much, logic would say that I should also like Pattern Regular... but I like Pattern WAY more than Pattern Regular. I learned the hard way.

I vote for choosing what your hand has told you it likes, not what you might grow to like.

You’re the only one who’s got your hands, and the only one who can decide what your hands like. It is therefore impossible for anyone else to give you worthwhile advice.

Of course, that won’t stop us from doing it! :)

I had a Jackson / Charvel for a few years. I currently have a number of necks. Pattern Regular is the best for me over my Wide Fat or Wide Thin.

My CU 24 has a pattern regular, and my new CE24 has the pattern thin, plus the maple satin neck has a totally different feel. I like em both, but feel for shredding, the CE24 would win out. For me, thicker necks tend to cause hand cramping a little bit. But more practice would probably help too. But I approach the guitar a bit like the violin that I played for 6 years as a lad. You don't hold the violin with your hand. It's help in place by your chin and collar bone, so that your hand is free to glide up and down. So similar effect to me with the guitar, I try and not grab it too much, but to have it situated in a comfortable place first (not too high, and not too Jimmy Page low, lol), and then the size of the neck seems a bit less important to me. And as others have said, there isn't a huge range in size in the first place. I've had a couple of Teles that were huge, literal baseball bats. Not for me, but by and large I can adapt. I really like PRS necks overall though. I'm not down to 3 electrics, the two being played the most are PRS.

I've always been a slim neck kinda guy, wizards, Gibson 60's etc, but after a 3 year lay of due to illness/disability I've decided to bit down on the pain and play again, well its shocked me but the wide fat neck seems to give me the least problems, it fills my hand and supports it much better than slimmer necks do and the wider neck makes my gnarly old hands cramp up less

Back