PAF shootout - PRS vs. actual 50's & 60's PAF humbuckers

The crunch tones of the amp obscure a certain amount of detail. Definitely close with the amp set that way.

I'd like to hear a comparison with cleaner tones.
Me too.

I'm looking for pickups other than Antiquitys to use in my Bernie Marsden.

Something a little chewier. With a little more of a "ow" sound.

Always loved Peter Green's and Eric Clapton's sound. Paul Kosoff's too.

Been looking into the Bare Knuckle Mules and Abraxas humbuckers too.

Last edited:
$500?! Egads!

I've had Mules in Les Pauls, PRS SC58 and ES-335. I don't think they're very chewey. They were pretty bright. Wolfetone Legends are a little fatter, and clearer to me. They are my current overall favorite that work best for me in most of my guitars.

$500?! Egads!

I've had Mules in Les Pauls, PRS SC58 and ES-335. I don't think they're very chewey. They were pretty bright. Wolfetone Legends are a little fatter, and clearer to me. They are my current overall favorite that work best for me in most of my guitars.
Don't want overly bright. Bright enough for clarity but I don't want a sharp, metallic bright.

Sometimes the Antiquitys sound slightly metallic.

I'm very interested in the Wolfetones too.

You think they'd be a better fit for me?

Last edited:
if you're looking for some BKP: consider the peacemakers. Certainly chewier than your typical bright PAF. And to me the best vintage hot PAF's by BKP

if you're looking for some BKP: consider the peacemakers. Certainly chewier than your typical bright PAF. And to me the best vintage hot PAF's by BKP
Just listened to some sound samples of the Peacemaker. I like the sound, especially the clean neck pickup sounds

My ideal might be the pickups in Peter Green's '59 Les Paul.

Peter sold it to Gary Moore, Gary Moore just about wore it out, now Kirk Hammett has it.

Last edited:
Just listened to some sound samples of the Peacemaker. I like the sound, especially the clean neck pickup sounds

My ideal might be the pickups in Peter Green's '59 Les Paul.

Peter sold it to Gary Moore, Gary Moore just about wore it out, now Kirk Hammett has it.

Have you considered the Seymour Duncan "Green Magic" pickups? Sounds like they might be up your alley:
Seymour Duncan Green Magic

Have you considered the Seymour Duncan "Green Magic" pickups? Sounds like they might be up your alley:
Seymour Duncan Green Magic
Thanks! I have. I don't want out of phase pickups and those are out of phase with each other.

But when Peter's playing on just the neck pickup or bridge pickup. like on the Supernatural, he gets one the my favorite tones of all time.

But I've never liked the thin nasal out of phase tone when the two out of phase pickups are combined...even when Peter's the guy playing them.

Thanks! I have. I don't want out of phase pickups and those are out of phase with each other.

But when Peter's playing on just the neck pickup or bridge pickup. like on the Supernatural, he gets one the my favorite tones of all time.

But I've never liked the thin nasal out of phase tone when the two out of phase pickups are combined...even when Peter's the guy playing them.
Out of phase is definitely an acquired taste. They are wired with 4-conductors, so you could just reverse the hot and ground on one pickup and be back in phase. ;)

Out of phase is definitely an acquired taste. They are wired with 4-conductors, so you could just reverse the hot and ground on one pickup and be back in phase. ;)
Or flip the magnet in one pickup.

Which is what Jol Danzig discovered was the deal with Peter's guitar.

I have a '23 Single Cut McCarty 594 Goldtop. I just couldn't get along the 58/15 LTs. I have several LPs with Antiquities and really like those pickups. I had a 57 Classic and 57 Classic + on the shelf. Was going to shop for something, but decided to give them a chance. They really sound great in the 594 IMHO.

I have a '23 Single Cut McCarty 594 Goldtop. I just couldn't get along the 58/15 LTs. I have several LPs with Antiquities and really like those pickups. I had a 57 Classic and 57 Classic + on the shelf. Was going to shop for something, but decided to give them a chance. They really sound great in the 594 IMHO.
Just put a set of Antiquitys in my Bernie marsden #2. Bernie #1 (in my profile photo) is still stock.

Last edited:
Back