PA questions.....

BMiller

Man......I'm totally cornfused right now. I need to build out a PA that is good for rehearsals AND small inside gigs (150 people or so). Bigger than that, or outdoors, we'd hire it out. Band is a typical 5 piece (drums, two guitars, bass, lead vox) with some backing vox. Music is late 90's/early 2000's rock.....all covers.

But I need to put together a decent PA.

I picked up a mixer a month or so ago (Allen and Heath QU16C......nice console!) that I'm very please with. Currently for rehearsal, I've employed an Alto 1x15 powered speaker as a main monitor with 2 passive monitors powered off of a Peavey powered mixer (not mine, but I'm making it work). This will not work for a gig.

So I'm thinking about what I need to buy. I have plenty of experience in the studio and with lugging heavy racks and cabs....but I've been out of the gigging loop for almost 10 years (and my back/body isn't what it used to be.). So I'm looking at light weight options that sound good but won't break the bank. Powered speakers sound like the best fit. But should I go with tops and subs or check out the line array options? How much power per dollar should I be looking at? If I go the "traditional" route, should I get 12" or 15" tops.....then combined with what size sub....15" or 18"? Can the various portable line arrays do what I want and still sound good despite their smaller everything? Has anyone seen possum poop? And these are the questions of my life right now.

What do you guys use for rehearsal and playing gigs?

Ha! That’s funny, by way of coincidence, I think I have some info you’ll be interested in.

My drummer pal and I just invested in a system. We have an Allen and Heath SQ5 board, and we scored a JBL PRX 700 series powered speaker system to pair it with, got it from his dad’s band when they stopped playing, and the results have been really good. We have two each of 18” subs, and 12” and 15” tops. Last weekend we hosted a gig with some bands from out of town, medium size room, and the system performed really well. I would say the 18” subs and 15” tops are sufficient for
FOH sound, the 12” boxes you may not need if you plan to use IEM’s, we usually use the 12’s for monitor wedges if other bands request them.

Those JBL’s, or something like them, would be a nice match for you, I think. I can’t comment on other solutions. But what we have is manageable from a weight and size standpoint, and fits in a larger truck or small trailer.

Forget line (dash) arrays, they look far better than they sound at our level.
Andy’s suggestion of Prx is decent. I’d go 12” over 18” for foh. (Mine is jbl srx and I love it).
Monitors you’ll want at least 2 maybe up to 4 more 12”.
Prx, srx, Yamaha dxr or dsr also good to look at.

Do you have mics, cases, power, transport, stands, etc?
It gets expensive fast

What’s the budget? How many venues and do they have adequate quality power and a decent sized stage for the band and gear? Anyone have physical limitations lifting 80lbs, solo? Any thoughts about lighting?

Get RCF speakers. The more you spend the more better they are than the “well known” brands. They are BETTER! Ask someone who knows, and they will confirm this.

Sorry guys for the late response.

Gig size = 100-200 people. Small to medium sized gigs I guess. We will hire out for bigger stuff. I have have mics, stands, cables, etc. I'd like a snake.

Budget is $2000-$2500.

I have read a lot on RCF but also have a quote for a rig from Sweetwater for Turbosound. Spec wise they line up the same.

Still on the hunt....need permission from the household CFO.....

Sorry guys for the late response.

Gig size = 100-200 people. Small to medium sized gigs I guess. We will hire out for bigger stuff. I have have mics, stands, cables, etc. I'd like a snake.

Budget is $2000-$2500.

I have read a lot on RCF but also have a quote for a rig from Sweetwater for Turbosound. Spec wise they line up the same.

Still on the hunt....need permission from the household CFO.....
Are you talking about the Inspire series of Turbosound?
Right now I'm using a Kemper and wireless mic into a Bose L1 system and it would seem to do the trick for an audience that size. You'd need one per vocalist I believe.

Are you talking about the Inspire series of Turbosound?
Right now I'm using a Kemper and wireless mic into a Bose L1 system and it would seem to do the trick for an audience that size. You'd need one per vocalist I believe.

No, this is for the Milan series....a pair of powered 12's and a pair of powered 15" subs. I have three wedges and a power amp for them.

Back