P24 Piezo

jw3571

I'm looking at a P24 limited with the Piezo system. I'm a little unclear on how it works? Do I need anything special like a separate acoustic amp to take advantage of this? My amp is a Marshall JCM1 50th anniversary amp. Will this work well with the Piezo. Does the P24 have enough balls to play harder rock and classic rock?

The P24 can either split the signal of mix and piezo into separate jack outs, or mix both signals into one jack out:

main5.jpg

For best results, you'll need a separate acoustic amp or run direct into a full-range PA (some use a DI too). A tube amp designed for mag pickups won't unleash the full potential of the piezo, and will prob sound a little choked.

The P24 comes with uncovered 53/10s which are very versatile, and would have no problems covering harder rock.

The P24 can either split the signal of mix and piezo into separate jack outs, or mix both signals into one jack out:

For best results, you'll need a separate acoustic amp or run direct into a full-range PA (some use a DI too). A tube amp designed for mag pickups won't unleash the full potential of the piezo, and will prob sound a little choked.

The P24 comes with uncovered 53/10s which are very versatile, and would have no problems covering harder rock.

+1 I own one as well and completely agree with justmund's comments. I use a Roland JC77 for cleans and the blended Piezo sounds are just massive. The uncovered 53/10's aren't too terribly hot, but sound really good at higher gain settings, a little more more modern than vintage IMHO, kinda like early Dream Theater and Metallica. Incredible guitar.

I love CU24s, just got another one because I wanted the 59/09s. I want one of THESE too, but that may have to wait until after Christmas :D, yet, I'd like to know how you think the piezo/neck magnet blend sounds?

I don't have a P22 nor a P24, but I do have a SCHB with piezo. I think the new piezo system sounds better then the one I have, and both sounds awesome.
I never blend the piezo with the magnetic, but I like to take just one guitar for the gig and have both words. after some playing I found out that switch the system during a song with my fingers sometimes is not that easy/fast, specially if you are playing "Acoustic" and switch to a magnetic solo. And have 2 cables plugged on your guitar is not easy either. I found out this box from Radial PZ DI (now they have this PZ select, witch I looked and saw no difference, anyway). So I have just one cable coming out of the guitar and I use this box to split and switch with my feet what I want.
http://www.tonebone.com/tb-pzselect.htm

So I'm still a little confused. IF you have an acoustic amp combo, you use both speakers? It will then blend them together?

jw3571, the idea is to use an acoustic combo for the piezo output PLUS the combo of your choice for the magnetic output. This gives you more control over blending the separate sounds. Nothing new, a number of companies offered something similar for years, notably Godin, Carvin and, from time to time Gibson.

If I got one of these I'd more than likely keep the switch in the middle, use one output and explore the various tone shades I come up with. BTJM.

I have a hb ii cb with 59/09 pickups and what i do is run the piezo into a volume pedal and then into an LR baggs para di. then straight to pa. The electric side runs through a volume pedal and then into normal pedals and then into the amp. this gives me the ability to go from electric to acoustic and blend as well. the pair with a clean sound and a little delay is five miles wide such a nice full sound with bell type and full body at the same time. i also have a coil tap which gives me the ability to do single coil tones as well. it is the same set up basically as the p24 or p22

I have a P24. I play jazz, and I need clean tones most of the time. I use an Acoustic Image solid-stae amp and Razer's Edge cabinet with a tweeter. (Yes, I know, it's not normal rock gear, and it looks pretty wimpy compared to any other amp.) I use a Yamaha MagicStomp modeler to dial in some dirt, etc.
I have found that blending some piezo in with the mag pickups can give me that singing and sustain that I like in Allan Holdsworth, Eric Johnson, Larry Carlton, etc., and still have a clean tone. I can darken it up by dialing the tone pot down to 4 or 5. It doesn't woof out like a 335, and when you play a weird chord with alterations and garlic in it, you can hear every note.
Your mileage may vary. I've been playing for 40 years, and the P24 is the best guitar I've owned.

+1 I own one as well and completely agree with justmund's comments. I use a Roland JC77 for cleans and the blended Piezo sounds are just massive. The uncovered 53/10's aren't too terribly hot, but sound really good at higher gain settings, a little more more modern than vintage IMHO, kinda like early Dream Theater and Metallica. Incredible guitar.

I am a new owner of a P22 and the above description pretty concisely says what I'm experiencing ... great axes IMO ...

Back