P24 into PA

Joe Ciarlante

Long-time PRS player here and I recently picked up a sweet 2012 P24. My question is about running the piezo pickup through the PA. I'm running into a Radial PRO DI box but would like to have some tone control/EQ on my end and not just at the PA. Any recommendations on a stompbox/device for that purpose? I have a Boss GE-7 Equalizer but I'm wondering if there's a better solution. Thankful for your thoughts on this.

Fishman Aura Spectrum is what I use. Provides a nice "image" of the acoustic tone that you blend in with the direct piezo signal to enhance the sound, plus tone controls (bass, mid, treble). Plus compression level, if you want it.

Fishman Aura Spectrum is what I use. Provides a nice "image" of the acoustic tone that you blend in with the direct piezo signal to enhance the sound, plus tone controls (bass, mid, treble). Plus compression level, if you want it.

I like the idea of imaging. Checking that out too. Thanks!

As shinksma said, the Fishman Aura is probably your best bet as a standalone imaging preamp. You could also use a standalone Impulse response loader pedal to take advantage of different acoustic guitar impulse responses, you'd probably want a compressor along with it. I use half of my Line 6 Helix to run compressor, impulse response and reverb (plus other effects) into the PA - makes a huge difference from just running the piezo through a direct box.

As shinksma said, the Fishman Aura is probably your best bet as a standalone imaging preamp. You could also use a standalone Impulse response loader pedal to take advantage of different acoustic guitar impulse responses, you'd probably want a compressor along with it. I use half of my Line 6 Helix to run compressor, impulse response and reverb (plus other effects) into the PA - makes a huge difference from just running the piezo through a direct box.

I'm liking the Aura option. It has compression (no reverb) and different preloaded models. And if I have it correctly I wouldn't need the DI box. I wish I would have asked this question two weeks ago before I put out for the Radial. But live and learn.

Another vote for Aura DI. I used one for years until I consolidated to a Helix (which actually works pretty well with the piezo out as well using something similar to their acoustic preset)

Any chance you can share the ir? I need to find a good one to use in my hbii.

Any chance you can share the ir? I need to find a good one to use in my hbii.

I use several of the 3 Sigma Audio acoustic guitar IR's. Their Martin D-45 IR is my favorite. They only cost $10 each, and you get multiple formats and variations for that.

I have gone the cheapo route for a while with just a basic DI. If the sound man is good it seems to be OK.

I thought about getting a better one but most had no effects. My plan moving forward is to go Piezo - HX Stomp - DI - PA.

If you go to hardwirebandrocks.com and click on the Wanted link you can hear it there.

I have been looking into the fractal stuff lately, although it would be overkill for an acoustic DI, it could be everything else too. some good videos on youtube showing the use of acoustic IRs to really enhance the sound of a basic piezo acoustic guitar, maybe it would make a P24 sound like a Martin D45 if you wanted too?

Back