P22 Trem or HBII?

zebraprs

Hey to all my guitarded buddies. I am in a quandary. I recently ordered a P22 Trem (Artist Pkg), but the Sam Ash near me just got in a HBII with a killer (non-10) top. I played it and it sounds and plays great!.

So the differences are Artist Pkg on the P22 Trem which includes the Braz. Board. vs the Std Flame top and back on the HBII.

My question to you all is, is there any reason that I should not go with the HBII and wait the 8-10 weeks for the P22?

Right now I am leaning towards the HBII.. but maybe you all will change that..

thanks in advance for your opinions..
Jim

when I bought my SCHB, I was looking for a guitar with a piezo. PRS didn't have any solid body with it at the time. so I was between the SCHB and a Music Man John Petrucci model. I've never liked hollow and semi hollow body guitars, but opted for the PRS.
Long story short, I couldn't be happier. The SCHB is very a very versatile guitar and is the only one I bring in most of my gigs. It's that good. By the way, mine is not a AP nor a 10 top. But in the end is a matter of taste

Sounds to me like you've found a guitar you bonded with in the HBII. Consider the obvious.

If you can't do both, decide if the electric side of either fills a hole. I have a P22 and a non-piezo SC HB that I want to send in for a piezo. I love both guitars for very different reasons.

Both are great. Why didn't you order a HBII to start with? They have different neck carves. I assume you wanted a trem?

I guess I was caught up in the Hype of a new model.. Actually, I have been after PRS to build a trem model with a Piezo, I was very excited. but now I am not sure.. I love the HBII for a lot of reasons..

I am thinking " A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush" The only thing I lose is the different sounds with the 5 way.

I have a SCHB Std piezo, which was my no.1, now it's no.2 after my DGT Std. Two guitars that I will never sell. I play both of them more than any of my others, some of which will be going sometime.
If you could play a P22, then you would know if it calls out to you like the HB or not. Sometimes, we just bond better with certain instruments than other for some reason.

If the piezo thing turns out to be less than useful:girl:, you will still end up with a Hollowbody that you know is awesome. I vote HBII.

I was considering a P22, then I saw the HB II. For me, it's a no-brainer. The HB II is a stunning instrument.

I retrofitted a solid body electric with the LR Baggs piezo system, and I wasn't impressed with the results. I know it won't sound like an acoustic, but I never got anything close to the sounds I was hoping for. I think the hollow body guitars with a piezo sound a little closer to "acoustic". But that's just my opinion and my ear. I'd guarantee your ear is different.

At the end of the day, I'd have to throw support behind what Les said. It really sounds like you've found something with the HB II you played. I'd weigh that heavily. :)

If the trem is not top on the list of priorities, the HB might be the way to go. Then again, you haven't played the p22 yet. In a perfect world it would be best to play both and decide...

I have played a P22 (Not Trem) they are nice.. But I am leaning toward the HBII the more I think about it..

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.. They are all very enlightening.. :)

I'm thinking about the physics of the piezo. The whole point is to near as possible add authentic acoustic sounds to an electric guitar.

My thinking (I could be dead wrong on this) is that the piezo will not just pick up the acoustic sounds of the strings, but of the vibrating bridge and the surrounding woods. I'm thinking that the P22 will be much stiffer than the HBII and therefore not add as much 'acoustiness'. (yeah, I just made that word up).

I have a goldtop HP spruce with Piezo and also a HBII with piezo - they both sound fantastic.

Disclaimer: I have never tried a P22, so all this may be false. Your milage may vary. Not for the other use.

I have a HB II and I absolutely am in love with it. I have played a P22 and it is pretty stellar. The P22 does acoustic very very well and the 53/10's in the model I played were just STUPID good! That being said, I love the tone of my HB II and it could not be "replaced" by a P22...

Back