P22 players: Which strings do you use for best acoustic/magnetic sounds?

aroide

I recently got a P22 and LOVE it. I used to play a Godin LGX-SA with elixir nano web 11s and the acoustic sound with the piezos was da bomb. The P22 acoustic is nice, but in a mellow way. Not much of a phosphor zing. But the PRS strings make the magnetics sound supercalifreakin awesome with a great mellow chimey sound.

On my Godin I tried the 'zebra' strings with alternate windings of bronze/nickel, D'Addario nickel coated, DR, and only the Elixers sounded balanced and wore well (DR sounds good but the sound dies in 2 weeks).

So what strings do you use and why? I'm looking for that magic balance where acoustic and magnetic are as good as both can be. Talk amongst yourselves...

I also started my electric/ acoustic combo on a Godin LGX (non-synth) and over the acoustic sound. I tried pretty much everything, including phosphor bronze sets. On that guitar, I settled on 11-52 D'Addario XL nickel wraps, because I thought the mag pickups really suffered with anything truly acoustic.

On my P22, I've played around a little, but have come back to those same strings, but in 10-46s. That said, I also run the piezo through a compressor to a DI and then to the PA, not to an amp. The compressor is just barely on and it lets me change the mix quickly, if I need to fill a different space.

When I was experimenting with the Godin, I do remember coming across a set of electric/acoustic-specific strings. I can't remember who made them, but I'll see if I can figure it out. Might be worth a try.

well so far I am using the factory prs strings. 10s. What I found though before going to PA was I could get a much better acoustic tone by running through an LR Baggs Para DI. It makes things just POP! turns the tone from mellow into a sharp bolder acoustic tone. play with EQ some and presence knob and it can fool many for acoustic sound. so for me now I will stay that way. With the p22 the electric tone is my first priority then acoustic but with this set up I have found I really don`t need to compromise.

I'm thinking of trying Thomastik Pwr Brite in 10s. They are brass coated steel and are known for their beautiful chimey clean and searing overdrive. We'll see how that translates into acoustic sound with the piezos. Expensive though at $19 a set.

Good thread ... as a fairly new P22 owner, I'd be interested in as much feedback as possible on what strings have been tried and which were settled on and why. I didn't like the strings that GC put on it when I bought it ... they were too acoustic sounding for the magnetic side ... I haven't settled on anything yet and would like to try some of the recommendations here ... the "trick" is to have strings that sound good in all 3 modes, mag/mix/Piezo ...

I recently changed out the nut on a Strat of mine to bone, and while I was filiing the slots, I decided to try the Ernie Ball Cobalts. I play 9's usually, so I ordered a set and when I played it, I was shocked at how acoustic they sounded. Naturally when I bought my P22, it was the first thing I thought of when the vendor asked me how I wanted it set up and what set of strings I wanted. I play mainly on the acoustic setting, so I have spent alot of time getting to know how they react. I couldnt be happier with them. One thing to note: when I bought the 9's, I noticed there was a substantial difference in the flexibility of them (i.e. they felt like 8's) so when I ordered the P22 I ordered it set up with 10's. It is a blast to play this thing live, and especially with my loop station!

I recently changed out the nut on a Strat of mine to bone, and while I was filiing the slots, I decided to try the Ernie Ball Cobalts. I play 9's usually, so I ordered a set and when I played it, I was shocked at how acoustic they sounded. Naturally when I bought my P22, it was the first thing I thought of when the vendor asked me how I wanted it set up and what set of strings I wanted. I play mainly on the acoustic setting, so I have spent alot of time getting to know how they react. I couldnt be happier with them. One thing to note: when I bought the 9's, I noticed there was a substantial difference in the flexibility of them (i.e. they felt like 8's) so when I ordered the P22 I ordered it set up with 10's. It is a blast to play this thing live, and especially with my loop station!

I've been seeing good things (here and elsewhere) on the cobalts. I'll give 'em a try. Thanks!

Update: I tried the Thomastik-Infeld Power Brights. Really nice strings. Extremely even across all 6 and a very different feel than any other strings I've tried (Power brights have bronze coated pain steel and magnecore wound). Both acoustic and electric tones are very forward. They sound great and I get great comments on the tone, but they are a bit too forward for me. But dramatically more articulate than the stock PRS strings.

I'm on a quest to find the perfect strings for my style and tone. I just put on some Pyramid pure Nickel 'maximum performance' which have silver plated plain steel and pure nickel round wound. VERY nice in feel and tone. A bit more laid back than the power brights but still very articulate. I think the silver plate helps give that acoustic zing... just a touch. Next to try are the Thomastik blues slides which are pure nickel round wound also. And then Curt Magnan pure nickel. All 10s.

I had no idea how much materials affect tone. And within the same material, such different feels and tone. I'll keep everyone updated on my quest...

D'Addario makes a set of 10's w/a wound G-string. To my ears, the wound G makes it sound much more "acoustic" like. The plain G is too thin...

Jamie

Necro thread alert!

So, yesterday at band practice I broke out the P24, which had been dormant for about a month or more due to a focus on playing my SE Angelus acoustic and a mandolin for recent gigs.

The P24 has the factory gauge .010 strings on it. It felt like I was playing with angel hair pasta, I guess due to my increased hand/finger strength from using the mando and acoustic and playing lead solos with bends and everything (on the acoustic, not the mando!).

I am seriously considering moving up to .011s, possibly with a wound G. Might do that this weekend - I have a set or two ready for my HB.

Anyone found any issues with moving up to .011s with wound G? Obviously some nut binding might be an issue, especially the G string - I'll have to see about whether I want to widen out the nut slot(s).

Tried Cobalts and found them a bit rough. Tried NYXL 10s and I did like those. Am now using D'adds but as earlier suggested I think a LR Baggs DI or similar is what might float my boat.

I've used both my old standby GHS Boomers and D'addario, and didn't notice much difference. For me the best thing to improve the acoustic tone of the P22/24 etc, is post processing with a modeling device like a Fishman Aura or a Zoom acoustic pedal (I use the A2) or one of the acoustic EQ/DI boxes some of the other guys here swear by. I think heavier strings might make it sound more "substantial", as 10's have a certain thinness to their sound, but I would be surprised if upping string gauges really made the acoustic sound more realistic. Let me know if you prove me wrong (certainly wouldn't be the first time).

Tom

Tried Cobalts and found them a bit rough. Tried NYXL 10s and I did like those. Am now using D'adds but as earlier suggested I think a LR Baggs DI or similar is what might float my boat.

I've used both my old standby GHS Boomers and D'addario, and didn't notice much difference. For me the best thing to improve the acoustic tone of the P22/24 etc, is post processing with a modeling device like a Fishman Aura or a Zoom acoustic pedal (I use the A2) or one of the acoustic EQ/DI boxes some of the other guys here swear by. I think heavier strings might make it sound more "substantial", as 10's have a certain thinness to their sound, but I would be surprised if upping string gauges really made the acoustic sound more realistic. Let me know if you prove me wrong (certainly wouldn't be the first time).

Tom

I use a Fishman Aura to get a pretty good acoustic-guitar sound. So that issue is addressed. My main concern is that the .010s feel way to thin/squishy, and my fingers want thicker strings. That may happen to give me a slightly more acoustic tone, certainly can't hurt, but isn't the main reason for wanting to switch them up.

Necro thread alert!

So, yesterday at band practice I broke out the P24, which had been dormant for about a month or more due to a focus on playing my SE Angelus acoustic and a mandolin for recent gigs.

The P24 has the factory gauge .010 strings on it. It felt like I was playing with angel hair pasta, I guess due to my increased hand/finger strength from using the mando and acoustic and playing lead solos with bends and everything (on the acoustic, not the mando!).

I am seriously considering moving up to .011s, possibly with a wound G. Might do that this weekend - I have a set or two ready for my HB.

Anyone found any issues with moving up to .011s with wound G? Obviously some nut binding might be an issue, especially the G string - I'll have to see about whether I want to widen out the nut slot(s).

My 2010-ish SCHB came stock with PRS .011s with a wound G, and for the acoustic side, I think those work just great. Mind you I'm a 95% electric rawk player who just uses the acoustic tones to strum occasional interludes in between the noisy stuff. Wound G strings just. do. not. bend. right. for bluesy electric stuff, but I think the acoustic tones would suffer if I went to a plain G, especially if I stepped down to my customary .010s. I leave that one guitar set like that 'cause it just works.

Well, I sold the P22 I had when this thread started, but have since bought a P22 trem and an SC HB II. The P22 has D'Addario 10s and sounds great through the LR Baggs Para DI (and BBE Acoustimax, when I've used that). The trem really adds to the guitar's acoustic tone! I like it much more than the stop tail.

The SC has D'Addario 11s, with a plain G string. It sounds great--better than the stop tail P22, different than the trem version. I couldn't give up the bendability of an unwound G.

The DI into a PA makes it worth it. It's never going to sound like a microphone on an acoustic, but it gets you into the ballpark for live performances and can add a cool effect mixed/blended with the magnetic pups. It can add a cool zing and clarity to a driven electric sound.

Back