P22 Noise Problem

scootersite

Hello,
I have a P22 (actually this is my second one and they both had the same problem).
I can not use my guitar with an acoustic and electric tube amp at the same time. There is a loud noise when the guitar is plugged into both amps. What's strange is that only one of the amps has to be turned on. As long as the guitar is plugged into both and either amp is turned on the noise is there immediately, even with the guitar volume all the way down and this noise is NOT feedback. I have a small 6 watt solid state micro head and that is the only amp that I can use while also using an acoustic amp. I've tried a few different electric (all of which were tube) and acoustic amps, different cables and I've moved the amps around to different wall outlets all with no help.
I talked to PRS and they thought a DI might help. I don't even know what that is exactly but I talked to a couple of pedal vendors and they both thought that would make the problem worse.
Does any one have any clue as to what might be causing this?
(If I do need a DI box it seems they have XLR outputs. My only XLR input would be the mic input on the acoustic amp so should I only run the DI box through the acoustic amp?) Following is a link to a Behringer DI box I'm looking at.
(https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-DI...ie=UTF8&qid=1467314512&sr=1-2&keywords=DI+Box)
Would this cure my problem?
Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:
Yes, probably. It's a ground loop between the two amps that's running through the guitar. Anything that has a ground lift will probably get rid of it. I don't know if you'll be happy with the Behringer, but at least you'll know. I use a Radial JDI.

Thanks, does that mean that I only run the piezo through the box and use the mic input on the amp with the XLR and run the magnetic pick up same as before, not through the box?

Back