P20E setup

I tweaked the action on my P20E this week (yay, vacation!). A couple turns of the truss rod, slight turn back for fine adjustment. Felt like the guitar really loosened up after that. Plays buttery now.

Just for future reference if anyone searches the internet for P20e action info (like I did)...

With little more than a truss rod tweak to straighten the neck, plus about 2.5mm filed off the (stupidly tall, IMO) bridge saddle, the action now sits happily at 2/64ths on the high E and 3/64ths on the low E at the 12th fret. This is very low for an acoustic guitar. I’m running EB Earthwood lights (11-52).

I also took the high E nut slot down a fraction, and I really mean a fraction! I was expecting to run into buzzing issues, but even with a capo on the 1st fret I get no buzz until you hit the unplayable frets beyond the 14th, and since I’ve set the neck flat I can always add in a little relief if it turns out I’ve set the action a little too low. I have a light touch so... so far so good.

Just to note, my guitar has a perfect neck angle and a pretty good fret job too. They just needed polishing really as they were quite scabby out of the box, but then so would I if I’d spent weeks travelling from China in a damp shipping container...

Oh, and I also smoothed out the fret ends, which were uncomfortably sharp in places.

Back