P&W guitars

From a PRS perspective the challenge with P&W is not the warm, smooth tone, but the more chimey one (IMO). If you qant to warm the neck PU up, you could swap the magnet to an AlNiCo II. I noticed I don't like alnico II in the neck for that particular reason, but if yours lacks warmth: try that. And like Les pointed out: there is always your tone knob.

However in dense mixes I notice guitar players in our church het lost when using warmer tones. That is why I my try to get rid off excess low end, while stilll slounding slammin' when needed. My starla fits that bill.
This

One thing that's perhaps overlooked (at least I don't remember it in previous comments) is that the Standard Singlecut was an all-mahogany guitar, and they tend to be warmer than a guitar with a maple top. That might be what the OP is missing.

So much is in the choice of woods!

However, that can be compensated for when everything's dialed in to one's taste. Another very inexpensive suggestion is to get a simple EQ pedal and put it to work in the frequency range that's bothersome.

One point that has not been raised yet is that xchefdinos original single cut was a 22 fret neck and he is now playing a 24 fret neck. Different neck pickup positions relative to the string length. A 22 fret is always going to sound a touch warmer on the neck pickup than a 24 due to the pole pieces being under the second fundamental but then you loose mids...

But...

My thinking on this matter aligns with Rod and Les'. There is a vast tonal palette you can get from just a single guitar, a good cable and a decent amp. Changing picking angle has a massive effect on tone; start to play around with pick gauges and material and there are even more possibilities.
Thanks for taking your approach. I never thought of that. I bet if I get a 22 fret I with 58/15 lt pickups (more vintage style pups) I would get what I’m looking for , or continued to tweak away at parameters, I think I need both.

Why is P&W any different than other popular music styles? I guess I don't understand the original post.

If you don't care for the newer PRS tones, hey, that's a personal call.

If you like the guitar and want to warm up the guitar's tone, try working with the volume and tone controls, as well as the controls on your amp. If you've already tried this, and it isn't happening at this point, maybe it's time to sell the guitar and move on?
P&W = U2 Edge tones.......bathed in 'verb and delay. Nothing different just a buzz word for the past decade, imho.

P&W = U2 Edge tones.......bathed in 'verb and delay. Nothing different just a buzz word for the past decade, imho.
I think it’s also different in style in the chord progressions, no blues, no drop D tunings. Very minimal alternative tunings. Lots of improvised arrangements. And most of all. So many similar chord progressions, but to each his own.

You need 1, 4sus2, 5sus, 6- and voice it so there's always a root and 5th ringing on top of the chords underneath.

Lots of interesting ideas here gear and performance wise. I'd never underestimate the power of an eq or the ability or a sound person to eq something. Good or bad.
And the occasional 2minor

If I did that would I still be getting the split coil as well.
Not familiar with the Starla, I was more commenting on the fact that, often, the dreamy sound we’ve got in our head that we search so hard for, that might sound great in a studio or in the bedroom, gets buried on stage. For live work, you often need a little bite and a lot of midrange. (The chime that you might be trying to avoid) of course that’s not right for everything. That’s why I installed the individual coil splits. I get from chimey Strat to mellow Les Paul.

And the occasional 2minor
Yes! The 2 minor13 is a classic that keeps that root and fifth of the key ringing too.

Particularly if the song is in E major.

I went to music school that was a Christian
affiliated university. At the time (early to mid 2010's,) THE guitar to have was a thinline tele with wide range humbuckers in a subdued finish.

I found my custom 24 excelled in P&W settings because it has the older switching options where you can get really bright and airy sounds, darker neck tones, and bridge tones that can cut through a mix well. My hollowbody piezo did well to if I needed acoustic tones and didn't want to mess with multiple guitars but couldn't get bright enough to be super ambient.

Not familiar with the Starla, I was more commenting on the fact that, often, the dreamy sound we’ve got in our head that we search so hard for, that might sound great in a studio or in the bedroom, gets buried on stage. For live work, you often need a little bite and a lot of midrange. (The chime that you might be trying to avoid) of course that’s not right for everything. That’s why I installed the individual coil splits. I get from chimey Strat to mellow Les Paul.
Very true (midrange and bite) part.

The Starla does exactly that and that is why it sits very well in a mix, especially a P&W mix with all the possible tracks and pads going on.

Back