P&W guitars

xchefdino

Hey guys what’s your favorite PRS to play for praise and worship. Seems like the modern PRS is not as versatile as the older ones when it comes to warm and clean tones. Looking for recommendations. I have a CE custom 24. It’s fine for praise songs but lacks a little of that warm clean tone. I had a 2003 standard single cut with number 7 pups that was spectacular but the Lord told me to give it away when I retired but I’ve since been called back into ministry and I picked up 2021 custom 24 it’s great but not the same as my old standard single cut

This one, my 35th anniversary S2.
It's super versatile, lightweight and very pretty without being too flashy.

Ig0nLzr.jpg

meYrGyJ.jpg

Clean and warm has 594HB written all over it. In the “warm” department, my HB Spruces are even more in the target zone with the Archtop pickups. Much P&W music makes use of jangly chord work, which favors the 58/15LT pickups in the 594 HB II. I think it would be the perfect guitar for the range of sounds, including nice overdriven lead work.

Alternatively, a HB II w/piezo might even add another flavor. I think recent HB IIs also come with 58/15LTs now… if so, that would nail all the sounds.

If you want a recommendation for a new guitar that is one thing, if you want to warm-up your CE24 for certain songs without modding that is another.

My 2 cents (or pennies here in the UK) a good graphic EQ such as a boos GE7 does wonders for making one guitar sound like many. If you have a Silver Sky you could boost the mids to get a humbucker type tone or cuts mids from a humbucker guitar to get a more single coil tone.. Obviously it will not get you 100% the way there, but it is an old trick that has been used for ages by guitarists to cover many sounds with one guitar. There is plenty of content on YouTube. (There are mods out there for the GE7 so that it covers only the guitar frequencies.)

I do not know why more guitarists use an EQ pedal....

Hey guys what’s your favorite PRS to play for praise and worship. Seems like the modern PRS is not as versatile as the older ones when it comes to warm and clean tones. Looking for recommendations. I have a CE custom 24. It’s fine for praise songs but lacks a little of that warm clean tone. I had a 2003 standard single cut with number 7 pups that was spectacular but the Lord told me to give it away when I retired but I’ve since been called back into ministry and I picked up 2021 custom 24 it’s great but not the same as my old standard single cut
Why is P&W any different than other popular music styles? I guess I don't understand the original post.

If you don't care for the newer PRS tones, hey, that's a personal call.

If you like the guitar and want to warm up the guitar's tone, try working with the volume and tone controls, as well as the controls on your amp. If you've already tried this, and it isn't happening at this point, maybe it's time to sell the guitar and move on?

Lots of clean reverb and delay tones. For worship. Lots of swells. We use the guitar a lot like a synth at times. Then for praise we can use more overdriven tones. I guess my question is really focused on worship styles. But it’s definitely a genre of its own. Then there’s gospel lol

Why is P&W any different than other popular music styles? I guess I don't understand the original post.

If you don't care for the newer PRS tones, hey, that's a personal call.

If you like the guitar and want to warm up the guitar's tone, try working with the volume and tone controls, as well as the controls on your amp. If you've already tried this, and it isn't happening at this point, maybe it's time to sell the guitar and move on?
I was asking myself the same question Les……

One point that has not been raised yet is that xchefdinos original single cut was a 22 fret neck and he is now playing a 24 fret neck. Different neck pickup positions relative to the string length. A 22 fret is always going to sound a touch warmer on the neck pickup than a 24 due to the pole pieces being under the second fundamental but then you loose mids...

But...

My thinking on this matter aligns with Rod and Les'. There is a vast tonal palette you can get from just a single guitar, a good cable and a decent amp. Changing picking angle has a massive effect on tone; start to play around with pick gauges and material and there are even more possibilities.

From a PRS perspective the challenge with P&W is not the warm, smooth tone, but the more chimey one (IMO). If you qant to warm the neck PU up, you could swap the magnet to an AlNiCo II. I noticed I don't like alnico II in the neck for that particular reason, but if yours lacks warmth: try that. And like Les pointed out: there is always your tone knob.

However in dense mixes I notice guitar players in our church het lost when using warmer tones. That is why I my try to get rid off excess low end, while stilll slounding slammin' when needed. My starla fits that bill.

One point that has not been raised yet is that xchefdinos original single cut was a 22 fret neck and he is now playing a 24 fret neck. Different neck pickup positions relative to the string length. A 22 fret is always going to sound a touch warmer on the neck pickup than a 24 due to the pole pieces being under the second fundamental but then you loose mids...

But...

My thinking on this matter aligns with Rod and Les'. There is a vast tonal palette you can get from just a single guitar, a good cable and a decent amp. Changing picking angle has a massive effect on tone; start to play around with pick gauges and material and there are even more possibilities.
Even before changing the pups on my SE, I found mine to be very responsive to variations in touch, positions and attack.

Back