Oxidized Side Dots

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by Tramp, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

Come on, where's the new guitar day post already! I want to know all about it and see more pictures!

2. Micky!

Micky! New Member

I had the same issue on the 2007 SCT I bought this year. But actually, this guitar has been badly maintained, all the frets were greenish when i received it. I have been able to polish the frets with 00000 still wool, but frets end that are behind the clear coat will remain greenish. Hopefully in my case the side dot marker have not turned green.

3. Tramp

Tramp To and Fro, Mostly Fro

Fair enough! Will do so this weekend.

4. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

Good stuff!

5. jak3af3r

jak3af3r New Member

My hands sweat that "acid sweat" so my custom 24 with the unfinished rosewood neck's side markers, fret tangs, and frets all turn green. A minor issue resolved with 0000 steel wool as stated above. The side markers i can usually just scrape off with my thumbnail. However, when I do the frets, I try to tape off the fretboard and polish with compound because it seems like steel wool makes them look nice for a shorter time period than a good polish job does.

6. Tramp

Tramp To and Fro, Mostly Fro

I suspect sweat had a lot to do with this. All of the side dots and most of the fret tangs were more or less green up to around the 12th fret. Beyond that, nada. Good to know about the polish option though I don’t think my sweat is particularly acidic.

NGD posted last weekend.