Oxidized Side Dots

Tramp

To and Fro, Mostly Fro
I have a gorgeous 53/10 Limited inbound, once the seller in the UK procures CITES certification. As you'll see from the pics below, most of the side dots and some fret tangs are green from what I assume is oxidation. Has anyone had this issue? Did you just deal with it or get it addressed?
Thanks!

ObBNGr9.jpg

Qf5yrpA.jpg

sCrfN9h.jpg

Y45iJBM.jpg

Not on every fret, wonder if it is glow paint so you can see them better, I had a PRS acoustic and the side markers were almost the same color as the fretboard. Was almost impossible to see sometimes.

I don’t think the side dots would oxidise.

I must say I would have thought that as well. That was the selling shop’s diagnosis.

Not on every fret, wonder if it is glow paint so you can see them better, I had a PRS acoustic and the side markers were almost the same color as the fretboard. Was almost impossible to see sometimes.

I had that thought as well, especially when there’s none of this above the 12th fret. But then why put glow paint on the frets?

Since it's satin finish, there's probably nothing covering them. A little 0000 steel wool and they'll be alright.

Interesting. This will be my first PRS satin guitar.

If I'm not mistaken, the side dots are stainless steel, and I've usually seen pickup covers and the bridge pit and corrode before frets and side dots do. Overall that guitar looks like it's in great shape (and I always coveted those 53/10s). My guess that there's something gooped on those side dots and fret ends and it's not corrosion or oxidation.

Right then, here's my view.

I also have a 53/10 limited. One of the UK stock. Only 6 came to the UK, two in each of the colours. I guess if one is outbound then it only leaves 5 left here in the UK!

Anyway, mine also has green over the side dots and fret ends. I've always thought it was corrosion since it also doesn't cover every dot or fret end. I also don't remember seeing them when I first got the guitar, but I can't remember now. I am a little surprised about the dot markers as I would assume these were stainless steel, the fret ends I'm less surprised as green corrosion would be oxidation of the copper from the nickel silver alloy. However, I've never thought about it too much. It certainly looks to be green corrosion to me, rather than glow paint (I'm a mechanical engineer), and I've never noticed them glowing in a darkened room. But now that it's been mentioned I'll give it a try when I get home from work tonight.

What I can also say, is that although it's a satin finished guitar, mine certainly has lacquer covering the fret ends and dot markers, so you won't be able to remove the staining with wire wool without also removing finish. In fact, my neck is now fully gloss from use so you wouldn't be able to tell that it was satin finished at all now.

Honestly I would just leave them as is. I barely notice and they don't bother me at all. It's just patina to me, the same as when your nickel covers and bridge start to pick up a patina. The 53/10 limiteds have vintagy feel to them so it doesn't detract from the guitar.

I would love to hear all about it when you get it though! Looks like it's in great condition (still looks very satin so it doesn't look like it's had a lot of use). I think they are lovely guitars.

Last edited:
Just did a search on google. Is that the one from Sound Affects? Good price if it is! Much less than I paid secondhand 4 years ago.

Just did a search on google. Is that the one from Sound Affects? Good price if it is! Much less than I paid secondhand 4 years ago.

If it is, I had my eye on that one. 3 of my 4 PRS guitars came from Sound Affects....

If it is, I had my eye on that one. 3 of my 4 PRS guitars came from Sound Affects....
Fits the description, along with the oxidation on fret edges, so I'd say it's more than a good chance it is. Should have jumped on it. Like I said, It was on for a good price (well, in my opinion anyway).

Right then, here's my view.

I also have a 53/10 limited. One of the UK stock. Only 6 came to the UK, two in each of the colours. I guess if one is outbound then it only leaves 5 left here in the UK!

Anyway, mine also has green over the side dots and fret ends. I've always thought it was corrosion since it also doesn't cover every dot or fret end. I also don't remember seeing them when I first got the guitar, but I can't remember now. I am a little surprised about the dot markers as I would assume these were stainless steel, the fret ends I'm less surprised as green corrosion would be oxidation of the copper from the nickel silver alloy. However, I've never thought about it too much. It certainly looks to be green corrosion to me, rather than glow paint (I'm a mechanical engineer), and I've never noticed them glowing in a darkened room. But now that it's been mentioned I'll give it a try when I get home from work tonight.

What I can also say, is that although it's a satin finished guitar, mine certainly has lacquer covering the fret ends and dot markers, so you won't be able to remove the staining with wire wool without also removing finish. In fact, my neck is now fully gloss from use so you wouldn't be able to tell that it was satin finished at all now.

Honestly I would just leave them as is. I barely notice and they don't bother me at all. It's just patina to me, the same as when your nickel covers and bridge start to pick up a patina. The 53/10 limiteds have vintagy feel to them so it doesn't detract from the guitar.

I would love to hear all about it when you get it though! Looks like it's in great condition (still looks very satin so it doesn't look like it's had a lot of use). I think they are lovely guitars.

The guitar arrived and is gorgeous in every respect! I’ll post a NGD once I’ve had a chance to properly put it through its paces.

The good news, whether it’s corrosion or glow paint (I’m leaning toward the former, since I can’t see anyone putting glow paint on the frets), is that I was able to get most of it off quickly with my nails and should be able to get the rest off with a bit of patience.

Yes it was. Really great shop, if this is any indication. I agree about the price! There are guys on Reverb trying to get more than half again what I paid.

The guitar arrived and is gorgeous in every respect! I’ll post a NGD once I’ve had a chance to properly put it through its paces.

The good news, whether it’s corrosion or glow paint (I’m leaning toward the former, since I can’t see anyone putting glow paint on the frets), is that I was able to get most of it off quickly with my nails and should be able to get the rest off with a bit of patience.

Glad to hear that the guitar reached you OK. Looking forward to the new guitar day post. I honestly want to hear fantastic it is. It's definitely corrosion, apart from the fact that it's obvious to my experience, I put a high powered UV light to mine and not one hint of fluorescing or glowing. I'm surprised that you managed to get any of the corrosion off, as like I said, on my guitar it is covered by the lacquer. I wouldn't worry too much about removing it, there's a good chance it will just come back at some point.

Yes it was. Really great shop, if this is any indication. I agree about the price! There are guys on Reverb trying to get more than half again what I paid.

The Reverb prices are probably nearer the mark, so I think you got a good deal. Really nice pieces of wood used here, private stock tops, well regarded pickups that are no longer made, and only 100 made.

If that's corrosion, it must have been exposed to damp air with salt in the air, maybe a coastal area.
Not really. No salt water is necessary for corrosion per se. Though it does make a better electrolyte which is why coastal areas suffer from rusty ironwork so much more. But for instance any unprotected steel will pick up corrosion within minutes just from being touched through the moisture and acid in your sweat.
There could have just been a bit of moisture content in the lacquer on that run, or the guitars were in a cold room before being brought into a warmer room for spraying and picked some condensation that was then trapped in by the lacquer. Alloys with a copper content can pick up green staining quite easily.

Back