Overrated or Bad Luck?

Hesh

Hey everyone,

I will try to keep this short and sweet as it’s quite the outdrawn ordeal in reality.

Last autumn I received my Silver Sky and it came right out of the box with scratches and dings, a nut with major lateral movement and a scarf joint that had an uneven seam like I had never seen before.

I sent it back to the retailer and they tried to fix it. Got it back but it still wasn’t okay. PRS kindly offered to have a look at it. I ask them how long it would take. No longer than 1,5 month they said

They receive the guitar and upon inspection decide that it cannot be redeemed. A neck replacement was necessary.

I ask them to perform a full inspection of the instrument to ensure no further errors. They agree to.

Nearly four months later I receive the instrument again. This time no two tuners are aligned. Nearly all of the bird inlays have gaps in them and theres a cut across the seventh fret on the fingerboard.

They haven’t replied to my emails this time.

Who is responsible for this?

When I pay 29000SEK which roughly translates to 3300USD I expect these things to be in order. I pay a premium so that I won’t have to bother with this stuff. This is a lot of money for me.

How do these glaringly obvious issues go through QA? First time okay but when you get an instrument back to your shop, wouldn’t you ensure this doesn’t happen again?

I would love your guys’ take on this.

Kind regards,
Hesh

Hesh,

I expect things to be right, too! It looks like you’ve kept a good attitude throughout, and I’d encourage you to continue that. Generally, you’ll find a lot more help that way. Contact PRS and ask to email some photos, then call to discuss them while you’re both looking at the same things. That should eliminate misunderstandings and get you on the same page about the issues.

PRS is a quality company, and I believe they’d want to get it right, especially after such a long time.

Sorry for your issues - I believe your guitar to be the rare dud or missed QC issue. I have 2 silver skys and both were perfect.
Direct contact with PRS I believe will get you sorted.

That is terrible! I mean, obviously I do believe you but this is a company whose reputation is built on quality. It doesn’t track that any of their instruments would make it out of the factory like that?!

Surely with so many issues they would intervene and swap the whole thing out (via the dealer if necessary)?

That is terrible! I mean, obviously I do believe you but this is a company whose reputation is built on quality. It doesn’t track that any of their instruments would make it out of the factory like that?!

Surely with so many issues they would intervene and swap the whole thing out (via the dealer if necessary)?

What drew me to the company in the first place was hearing and reading on numerous occasions about not only their quality, but their QA to top it off. Hence deciding on my first high end guitar purchase being from them. So I fully understand where your sly jab comes from. I have all the emails and pictures to back this up if that comforts you.

To tell you why we decided on taking this route I need to backtrack a little bit.

I originally ordered this guitar in the winter of '19-'20. The midnight rose, maple fingerboard model. They hadn't come to Sweden yet. My dealer told me they were expected late autumn '20 which worked out for me as it would allow me to work the summer and collect the cash required.

Somewhere around Oct-Nov I get a call from the dealer and they tell me the guitar is in and they're ready to ship it. I couldn't be more excited having almost waited a year for the moment.

When I received the guitar and open up the packaging and soft shell case something was about to blow my mind. The assembly date for the guitar on the hang tags read 29th July. This happens to be my birthday. It felt like it was meant to be. Might sound stupid to a lot of people but it was really really special to me. A freak coincidence nonetheless.

So naturally we tried to keep the guitar at any cost rather than completely swap the whole thing. Which in the end didn't work out so we decided on keeping the body and switch the neck when they deemed the first neck irreparable. A middle ground.

Regards,
Hesh

What drew me to the company in the first place was hearing and reading on numerous occasions about not only their quality, but their QA to top it off. Hence deciding on my first high end guitar purchase being from them. So I fully understand where your sly jab comes from. I have all the emails and pictures to back this up if that comforts you.

To tell you why we decided on taking this route I need to backtrack a little bit.

I originally ordered this guitar in the winter of '19-'20. The midnight rose, maple fingerboard model. They hadn't come to Sweden yet. My dealer told me they were expected late autumn '20 which worked out for me as it would allow me to work the summer and collect the cash required.

Somewhere around Oct-Nov I get a call from the dealer and they tell me the guitar is in and they're ready to ship it. I couldn't be more excited having almost waited a year for the moment.

When I received the guitar and open up the packaging and soft shell case something was about to blow my mind. The assembly date for the guitar on the hang tags read 29th July. This happens to be my birthday. It felt like it was meant to be. Might sound stupid to a lot of people but it was really really special to me. A freak coincidence nonetheless.

So naturally we tried to keep the guitar at any cost rather than completely swap the whole thing. Which in the end didn't work out so we decided on keeping the body and switch the neck when they deemed the first neck irreparable. A middle ground.

Regards,
Hesh

It wasn’t a sly jab at all mate! Apologies if it came across like that. I genuinely believe you, whilst also being very surprised that you’ve received an instrument in that condition. I hope you get it sorted.

It wasn’t a sly jab at all mate! Apologies if it came across like that. I genuinely believe you, whilst also being very surprised that you’ve received an instrument in that condition. I hope you get it sorted.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Back